• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

The Bill Nye is a great book. Another good one to look for in antique malls or the basements of dusty, old bookstores. I don't recognize the binding on that one. What is the year? The one I've always seen has the embossed cover.

PS. If you dig the Nye, Opper also illustrated some of the Samantha books--a little earlier than the Nye, I think. One that comes to mind is Samantha at Saratoga. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight if I get the chance.

The Nye book says 1894 with no reprinting info. Thanks for the tip on Samantha- I'll keep an eye out!

I've got to find my Nye, but I'm sure it's a different binding.

Here's the Samantha at Saratoga cover and title page. There were other books in the series not illustrated by Opper, but I think there were some others that were. This one has roughly 100 illustrations with about a third of the being full page. His style is less cartoony than it would become.

1281727-samsat.jpg

1281727-samsat.jpg.2a4988325ac92374c65dd53fc31d6e94.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

... and here are a few pages from the book. As far as who he influenced, I'm sure it was widespread--from McCay to Crumb with many stops in between. That background cross-hatching is sure reminiscent of a certain Flash Gordon artist...

1281733-samsatin3.jpg

1281733-samsatin3.jpg.9df673eb73679b6d5bb02443b106f20c.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

I don't consider this to be a comic although it is listed in Oversteet. It is what I call a 'Book of Cartoons'. It does have one interesting sequential comic strip in it however and I am pleased to have it in my collection as a 'comic related' item...

life1.jpg

Edited by Earl

Here's the wraparound dust jacket for Hearst's "Temperance or Prohibition" book from the 1920s.

It's probably the only book to feature a wraparound dust jacket by Winsor McCay. The interior is

illustrated with editorial cartoons by McCay and Opper. Not yet in the guide, but I've sent the info

to BLB. The book can be found every so often without the dj (plain black boards), but is very, very

tough to locate with one.

1286911-temperance.jpg

1286911-temperance.jpg.b29e09b2e305f74dbf046e1dae0ecc90.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

Just picked this up on ebay. I've been looking for a decent copy for over 10 years.

The bugaboo with this book is historically the extremely delicate binding. This copy

isn't perfect, nor was it NM like the seller said, but it's as good a binding as I've ever

seen on one. A pretty cool book for anyone who's into Plats. It's a jam story featuring

all the King humor characters (1926)

1333790-allthefunnyfolks.jpg

A little big for my scanner, but you get the general idea.

1333790-allthefunnyfolks.jpg.34f3465c7266e7500deab66c95ccdc0b.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

pardon my technological ignorance tonofbricks.gif, but is there a way to post a jpeg on this thread, or does it require a scan with an internet address? I have a few really rare and special books I could post, if I knew the best way. thanks for your tips

Just picked this up on ebay. I've been looking for a decent copy for over 10 years.

The bugaboo with this book is historically the extremely delicate binding. This copy

isn't perfect, nor was it NM like the seller said, but it's as good a binding as I've ever

seen on one. A pretty cool book for anyone who's into Plats. It's a jam story featuring

all the King humor characters (1926)

1333790-allthefunnyfolks.jpg

A little big for my scanner, but you get the general idea.

That is a really beautiful cover.

There is a lower grade one on e-bay at the moment and I was tempted to buy unti I saw one of the interior pages..

Example Below..

53_1.JPG

Is this typical of most pages in the book or are most pages more like standard comic strip panel layouts?

Thanks Earl.

That is a really beautiful cover.

There is a lower grade one on e-bay at the moment and I was tempted to buy unti I saw one of the interior pages..

Example Below..

53_1.JPG

Is this typical of most pages in the book or are most pages more like standard comic strip panel layouts?

Thanks Earl.

That is fairly typical of the book's pages. It is illustrated on about every page, but more like a children's book format than a comic format. The artist is a guy named Louis Biedermann, there's no work by the actual creators or artists known for those characters. The book is more interesting as an early attempt to shove a bunch of contextually unrelated characters together, which they do in a fairly detailed story.

Edited by Weird Paper

Personally I do think that the era from 1933 to 1938 should be considered a distinct age. The creation of the comics magazine format should rightly be seen as key moment in the evolution of the comic book just as Action #1 is. These books should be seen as distinct from things like the Leon & Cupples books, etc.

"Pre-GA" or "Pre-Hero Age" are both appropriate, although if we want to stick to the metallic nomenclature then how about Electrum Age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I suppose 1892 is sort of borderline Platinum/Victorian. What's the interior content like? Any pics?

What do people consider to beginning of the Platinum age? The Brownies in 1880's? Yellowkid in 1890's?

The Platinum Age began with The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats - 1897

The Brownies 1st appeared in a magazine called St. Nicholas in February, 1883

The Brownies - Their Book was printed in 1887, although it is bound more like a "book" than "comic book". Unfortunatley for collectors from this time period, The Brownies don't have a true 1st appearance, highly desirable "comic book" like The Yellow Kid does with McFadden's Flats. 'Their Book' is a square bound hard cover with multiple printings...that's a book.

Edited by showcase-4

I suppose 1892 is sort of borderline Platinum/Victorian. What's the interior content like? Any pics?

What do people consider to beginning of the Platinum age? The Brownies in 1880's? Yellowkid in 1890's?

The Platinum Age began with The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats - 1897

The Brownies 1st appeared in a magazine called St. Nicholas in February, 1883

The Brownies - Their Book was printed in 1887, although it is bound more like a "book" than "comic book". Unfortunatley for collectors from this time period, The Brownies don't have a true 1st appearance, highly desirable "comic book" like The Yellow Kid does with McFadden's Flats. 'Their Book' is a square bound hard cover with multiple printings...that's a book.

So what you're telling me is this thingamajigger is a pre-platinum comic kinda thingy.

So.....It say comic on the cover? confused-smiley-013.gif and is bound like one? confused-smiley-013.gif Kinda smells like one gossip.gifpoke2.gif1360675-Krazy2.JPG

1360675-Krazy2.JPG.e081f0663b495fc50579298fe2563f3a.JPG