• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman: The Killing Joke cover art

85 posts in this topic

Very curious. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 500K, but I also have no idea what I'm talking about. That said, I doubt any of those capable of purchasing would be swung by the animated film one way or the other.

And for anyone who hasn't seen the animated film yet...Skip the first 30m.

I don't believe the animated film moves the needle one way or the other, either.

OTOH, the comic is STILL a chart-topper after almost 30 years:

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/34697/top-300-graphic-novels-actual-may-2016

The hardcover edition has been a consistent presence in the top 10 graphic novel bestseller list since its release many years ago.

Back to the art...which goes for more auction, the cover...

Killing%20Joke-cover%20copy.jpg

...or this panel page?

Killing%20Joke-33%20copy.jpg

Personally, I've never understood the focus on covers. Sure, some are great but most of the time, it looks like "bling-bling" to me and a kind of "Yeah, size matters" attitude. I'm not looking for posters, I'm looking for stories, and most of all storytelling.

All of us here are in love with the sequential art. That's the strength of this media. To tell a story and display emotions in his own way. We all know what it was, and sometimes still is, to wait for the next issue to come.

Many comic book artist are no cover designers, no illustrators and no painters. But they can tell a story, create worlds and new dreams. So yes, in this particular case and in most of all situations, Panel pages all the way.

I, thanks to several members of this board, just lucked into a page from this...my favorite graphic novel with my favorite characters by my favorite artist and writer.. I would take the HaHaHa page any day of the week over the cover but I love the cover too. I think it's a toss up for which would bring more money. If I had a chance at either though, I would sell most of my collection to get it. FYI, anyone have any page from this they want to unload please let me know..

I, thanks to several members of this board, just lucked into a page from this...my favorite graphic novel with my favorite characters by my favorite artist and writer.. I would take the HaHaHa page any day of the week over the cover but I love the cover too. I think it's a toss up for which would bring more money. If I had a chance at either though, I would sell most of my collection to get it. FYI, anyone have any page from this they want to unload please let me know..

Hey Congrats!!! :applause:

Hey Congrats!!! :applause:

+1!!

Personally, I've never understood the focus on covers. Sure, some are great but most of the time, it looks like "bling-bling" to me and a kind of "Yeah, size matters" attitude. I'm not looking for posters, I'm looking for stories, and most of all storytelling.

All of us here are in love with the sequential art. That's the strength of this media. To tell a story and display emotions in his own way. We all know what it was, and sometimes still is, to wait for the next issue to come.

Many comic book artist are no cover designers, no illustrators and no painters. But they can tell a story, create worlds and new dreams. So yes, in this particular case and in most of all situations, Panel pages all the way.

The cover is the "1st impression" all gloss and glory and today, with less substance.

If you notice today, especially with the emergence of publisher's "variant" covers, most are simply pin-ups which have nothing to do, subject matter wise, with the actual story inside, in fact many covers often features characters on the cover not even featured in the story.

The covers today are sometimes simply published pin-ups lacking any creativity.

In that way, I do think sequential pages are more creative and aesthetic from a storytelling standpoint.

If you notice, most of the top artists and by top, I mean, popular, only do covers and don't do interiors anymore. With the exception of Adam Hughes on Betty & Veronica, but he used to only do covers for years. J. Scott Campbell, only covers for years.

Even some of the younger emerging artists like Jenny Frison, Eric Basaldua, Adi Granov, and a slew of other names only seem to do covers.

So, the "cover" has that prestige. Most artists admittedly have discussed how easy of a decision it is to do a cover, the work is easier creatively, the pay is better from the publisher, the original artwork they retain sells for a lot more, and it's the pole position of the book, so it's all about the fortune and fame. Whereas many artists state how difficult interiors can be with deadlines, the creative and editorial process as well as the financial downside (especially in a world where "time = money").

The covers of yesteryear at least were typically by the same artists as the interior artwork with almost like a trailer like tease towards the content inside, so were designed more to intrigue than to titillate.

Hello Rick,

I must admit I still think Adi Granov drawings are the more rigid and robotic in the comic book scene today, and I haven't understand to this day what's interesting and appealing in the drawings of J Scott Campbell. Regarding Adam Hughes, all his drawings look alike to me. One of the rare cover artists I'm interested in is Mark Brooks, cause there really is a sense of design in most of his covers. And humor too most of the time.

I would love for Arthur Adams to come back to storytelling. I still remember reading Monkeyman, Longshot, or a funny 2-parter X-Factor episode, and really enjoying it.

I can easily understand why people collect covers. But considering the sequential art as a true art form, and interested in other art, I personally consider panel pages as the best this media can offer.

But of course, and it's contradictory, I must confess I have some covers in my collection.

"I can easily understand why people collect covers. But considering the sequential art as a true art form, and interested in other art, I personally consider panel pages as the best this media can offer. "

I have this same mindset and approach to my collecting

Hello Rick,

I must admit I still think Adi Granov drawings are the more rigid and robotic in the comic book scene today, and I haven't understand to this day what's interesting and appealing in the drawings of J Scott Campbell. Regarding Adam Hughes, all his drawings look alike to me.

My goodness....that's some flamethrower you've got there. lol

giphy.gif