• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there no Platinum Age Forum?
5 5

239 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, OtherEric said:

These aren't new to my collection, but I don't think I've shared them before.  Does anybody else have a copy of the Popeye?  My copy is 68 pages with cover, not 76, but it doesn't seem to be obviously missing anything.

Feature books 05.jpg

Feature books 11.jpg

I checked mine. It has 76 pages. Since there are no numbered story pages, it might be hard to know if it is complete. 

This is an interesting one from 1913. The authors gave this book to a Harry McEvoy and was autographed by them and several other friends. I found out that they were freemasons. I was able to make out the sentiments and I captioned them, even found out their professions, but the only signature I can't decipher is the one at the top right. Is it Joseph Negour or Joseph Shegour or something else? Can anyone figure it out? The last picture is the one in question. Thanks    

sk1.jpg

sk2.jpg

sk4b.jpg

sk4c.jpg

On 9/26/2021 at 4:51 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I would be willing to bet that none of the high-school students whom I teach have ever hear of Fu Manchu, Tarzan, Charlie Chaplin, Zorro, Laurel & Hardy, Buck Rogers, or Popeye.

Most of the characters from the 1930s would be unknown to them, too.

They wouldn't know The Shadow, The Three Stooges, *spoon* Tracy, John Wayne, Doc Savage, The Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon, Li'l Abner, The Phantom, Bob Hope, or Ellery Queen.

The only reason they would know the name Joe Louis is that our local Detroit Redwings played in Joe Louis Arena until a few years ago.

A while back when I asked around, none of them had ever heard of Bugs Bunny, but I'm guessing that a few of them would know the Warner Bros. characters now because of the recent Space Jam movie.

Even Beatles?

On 2/21/2023 at 7:44 PM, JollyComics said:

Even Beatles?

Many of them have probably heard of the Beatles because they have grandparents who are fans and still listen to the music. However, I was wrong about the Space Jam movie leading to recognition of the Warner Bros. characters. They still don't know who Bugs Bunny is.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Many of them have probably heard of the Beatles because they have grandparents who are fans and still listen to the music. However, I was wrong about the Space Jam movie leading to recognition of the Warner Bros. characters. They still don't know who Bugs Bunny is.

From what I believed that Bugs Bunny was phased out by 2010.

https://sixflags.fandom.com/wiki/Looney_Tunes

Many new characters are replacing old Looney Toons such as Transformers and Harry Potter characters..... https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/theme-parks/universal-studios-florida

All 1930's characters have become forgotten but those Looney Toons are internationally well known.