• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C'mon People- Check Your Freakin' Pages!!

44 posts in this topic

I don't know about the rest of you but about 1 in every 8-10 eBay purchases I make have major undisclosed page issues. It is so frustrating!! First of all, there have been times where I did not get a chance to examine the book for a month after I got it and it is too late to return. Please share any frustrations here :frustrated:

Wow that really sucks man. If you got it cheap enough I would consider keeping it just for the great exterior.

I sometimes ask the seller to check the book one more time before they ship them. Twice this has saved me:

One time the seller discovered a 3X3" section ripped out of the interior. Another time the seller forgot to mention a 5" rip he did not list in the original description.

Justin

Yeah! Don't get me started on all those original owner collections that are missing pages. C'mon people! Check those pages!

I bought a Gay Comics #22 off the boards last year from one of my favorite boardies. Didn't even read it just liked the cover but sold it down the line to a fellow board member for the same price. Even later down the road I see it on mycomicshop with the notation of a missing page or panel I forget now but that still bugs me. Hopefully it happened after that but doubtfully. Hopefully his Burt avatar doesn't come after me!

Agreed, one of the reasons I stopped buying so much on eBay and buying mostly from boardies. My biggest problem was undisclosed restoration. It was a hassle.

I've had a number of boardies sell me incomplete or brittle books without checking. It's not limited to ebay or dealers.

The one that bothers me the most is a purchase I made from Metropolis Comics. My Startling Terror Tales 11.

It has a beautiful front cover, but the back cover has a large missing corner and the one that bothers me the most: the interior has what looks like someone either bled all over the page or spilled their spaghetti-O's on it. Neither the back cover missing chunk or the spaghetti stain were disclosed.

Agreed, one of the reasons I stopped buying so much on eBay and buying mostly from boardies. My biggest problem was undisclosed restoration. It was a hassle.

Interesting topic. Since I've been "graduating" up to higher priced books after I dipped my toe back into GA collecting in a few years ago I've noticed the more I go up the scale, the more I find surprises - tape, staples, touch, trim, and other general bs. I think you guys are being generous in calling it "missed." Let's face it, as the incentive grows so do the maleficence. Frankly starting to understand why blue labels on rare books are exploding in price - seems only 1 in 10 is actually pristine untouched after 50 years of collectors "fixin' and flippin'"

Ebay, boardies, dealers, everyone misses stuff once in a while, especially interior problems. I haven't noticed that ebay is any worse than other sources. I've probably had more problems with major dealers when it comes to missed resto, undisclosed interior problems, and even things like pencil tracing on the cover.

If you add in stuff that may be acceptable for the grade, but should be disclosed like interior tanning or small spine splits, it gets worse.