• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Good info on the 57 implosion, but I've heard reliable reports of an earlier event when the pace of artwork exceed the pace of publishing. I'm thinking it was in 49 or 50. Maybe one of our Atlas experts could join the discussion.

That would be the "closet story" where the production at Timely / Atlas went from a bullpen system to a freelance system in the late 40s. Is that what you're thinking about? I can dig information on that if you'd like.

Otherwise, it seems to me that what Fuelman described in his post was the 57 Implosion and not the earlier event.

Good info on the 57 implosion, but I've heard reliable reports of an earlier event when the pace of artwork exceed the pace of publishing. I'm thinking it was in 49 or 50. Maybe one of our Atlas experts could join the discussion.

That would be the "closet story" where the production at Timely / Atlas went from a bullpen system to a freelance system in the late 40s. Is that what you're thinking about? I can dig information on that if you'd like.

Otherwise, it seems to me that what Fuelman described in his post was the 57 Implosion and not the earlier event.

Yup, that's the one. I have the info, but I hate to admit I'm too lazy to go look it up.

The reason for suggesting it, is that the 57 implosion is too late for the books we are looking at in this thread. The "closet story" is too early, but I'm suspicious that it did affect 50 and 51 as they seem to have titles with an odd mix of interior stories.

Yup, that's the one. I have the info, but I hate to admit I'm too lazy to go look it up.

The reason for suggesting it, is that the 57 implosion is too late for the books we are looking at in this thread. The "closet story" is too early, but I'm suspicious that it did affect 50 and 51 as they seem to have titles with an odd mix of interior stories.

Adam, we are on the same wave-length thumbsup2.gif All I wanted to do is inform Fuelman about the events he remembered by filling in the details about the Implosion. I should made it more clear that I don't even remotely think that these events have anything to do with the currently posted books. Heck these books are from what 1953? currently in the Mystic run. (P.S.: Glad you liked the MM pages - any guess as to whom the artist was on that Timely MM run?)

To stay on topic, despite the low profile of the Mystic run because 1) it's an Atlas pre-code and therefore not what pre-code collectors prefer as opposed to smaller / more gruesome outfits and 2) it is still considered a minor Atlas title because it does not have a "Marvel" legacy as it ended up being cancelled / retired as a title before the revival of the company, the series had tremendous covers at some point. I am looking forward to seeing this series and invite all to contribute so we see as complete a set as possible.

I had planned to post this even before you made your request. It has a good selection of pre-code Atlas stories including a Heath and a Sinnott.

979142-Mystic10.jpg

979142-Mystic10.jpg.000bd8e9e55453027b14b23ac06c93c4.jpg

Jeeze Keith, until you asked that I didn't even notice the heads peeking out from the box! 893whatthe.gif I guess that hand just grabbed all my attention. That's what I love about these covers, sometimes you have to give them a second look to appreciate them! Does it say "Use AS hooks"? confused-smiley-013.gif

That is a sweeeet cover, Adam! What does the box say? "Use 198 Hooks" ???confused-smiley-013.gif

Gruesome!? thumbsup2.gif

I would have answered sooner but I had no idea what you were asking about. Honest.

The box says "Use No Hooks". Don't want to damage the merchandise and all that.

This is Halloween, post some horror comics!

Here's my contribution.

981245-Witchcraft5.jpg

981245-Witchcraft5.jpg.697133f791faf83280edd3b6ac9c84ef.jpg

This is Halloween, post some horror comics!

You said it! I would have posted a couple earlier, but I just got home a little while ago; actually had to attend a clinical tonight & was not able to participate in Halloween for the first time in my entire life! sorry.gif

981395-mystic31.jpg

981395-mystic31.jpg.b5d6a83a0a26514c7bccc36dc10376aa.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Really, adamstrange, don't sully the thread with such inferior examples! grin.gif

Yeah! We're generally not used to seeing anything better than a VG in this thread! 27_laughing.gif

Beautiful comic! Who did the cover art? It looks like an airbrush cover.

BTW - Metro has a VFNM Big Apple copy for sale.