• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Well, this poll would appear almost unanimous to this point. I admit, I am the lone "nay" vote to date. tongue.gif

I don't think it was Reed Crandall by a long shot either, but I voted "no" just to spite Overstreet. mad.gif

I really don't know ANYTHING about how to identify Roussos work, but I wasn't willing to give Overstreet the benefit of the doubt this time around. Hey, what can I say, I'm one of those tricky swing voters that drive the politicians nuts! crazy.gif

Easily one of my LEAST favorite titles, but I like this one because of the "Web of Horror" blurb. Funny how publishers just ripped each other off at will as far as story titles, etc.

1015404-p.jpg

1015404-p.jpg.6708d58151b3b4ddd98f16230aefc420.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Every precode horror fan worth their salt "hates" the Purple Claw! Boooorrrrrring! smile.gif

- could you imagine somebody describing a stack of untouched '50's horror comic books, unmoved store stock from the '50's with snowy white pages? Then you finally get to check it out and.... it's untold stacks of Purple Claw issues.

Horror indeed!

Hey, I had never seen a Purple Claw before tonight so I can't say one way or another but it seems I simply need to stay away from those.

Here's another "weird" had-to-do cross-over genre book and it really shouldn't have happened (the exploding weird green creature eye-ball cover, # 115 from the run is better but still a true oddball cover) - Captain Marvel, Jr # 107 -

1016298-CptMarvelJr107s.jpg

1016298-CptMarvelJr107s.jpg.b45c2d42edfe32e7e25952e39d6488a3.jpg

Now Scrooge, that is highly esoteric, and damned cool.

Christo_pull_hair.gif That's the second time I was labeled esoteric today. I am no longer sure if it's a good thing or not tongue.gif I am glad you think it's cool. Laughs Suspense and Mystery - What a combo!

Now Scrooge, that is highly esoteric, and damned cool.

Christo_pull_hair.gif That's the second time I was labeled esoteric today. I am no longer sure if it's a good thing or not tongue.gif I am glad you think it's cool. Laughs Suspense and Mystery - What a combo!

I like the horror cross-over covers on a number of the late run Fawcetts -- and there are some very slick horror-stories inside. What's that one like?

I like the horror cross-over covers on a number of the late run Fawcetts -- and there are some very slick horror-stories inside. What's that one like?

I wasn't bowled over by it. The story goes - Mr. Ramsey Banko, a new boarder at Mrs. Wagner's boardinghouse has strange reading habits about horror. He also just purchased an urn that belonged to Hussein Alif, the mad arab. The urn unlocks the doorway to the Horror Dimension in where Cpt Marvel Jr follows Mr. Banko and they are consecutively attacked by witches, tree monsters and skeletons before realizing that the creatures are going to take advantage of the doorway to reach Earth. We pick the story up on the last page where our compadres fight the last stand as the doorway closes -

1018690-CptMarvel107Story3Pages.jpg

1018690-CptMarvel107Story3Pages.jpg.e7152646068826f86c5e883afc21a4f8.jpg

Thanks for the scan and the comments. That last page certainly looks quite nice.