• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

Action 23, 6.5 for $28k. :o

The 3.0 for $8357 was nothing to sneeze at either.

I'm wondering if any Gators took a bite out of either one of those (or both).... hm

-J

nope...I Think I sold a 6.5 last year for 18K...too rich for my blood

Damn that's almost what a 5.0 Voldy went for last month.

Jay;

Are you trying to tell us that the Voldy's are selling for more than what a higher grade CGC copy was even selling for. :o:baiting:

I was the winning bid on the Action 10 until the last 30 seconds. Frankly I would have been in shock if I had won. I think it still went cheap.

Which copy were you bidding on?

The restored one or the 0.5 qualified?

Dealers must be having a field day today lol

Relative to some of the auctions earlier this year and from the overall tone I am hearing here, it sounds that although there were some definite hits in this first day of the auction here, there were also a lot of misses in terms of meeting expectations.

Makes me wonder somewhat if the consignors had chosen the right venue since I have historically never seen CL as being the go to place for GA books, especially when it comes to some of these non-mainstream titles. On the other hand, there were also a lot of misses in the CC auction last week.

Maybe it's just a sign that the market is cycling and navigating its way through the finer nuances of the marketplace, on its way to the end of this current bull run. hm

IMO part of it is the time of year. Between comiclink heritage and connect this is the 9th major auction of 2016. (Not including pedigree, ebay, comiclink focused, and heritage weeklys. Also there have just been major comic conventions in san diego, chicago, tampa, baltimore etc in the last month or so. I know there were a few books tonight I couldn't go after as aggressively as i wanted to because I couldn't afford it. I know not everyone agrees with this but i think buyer fatigue usually starts up around this time of year and usually lasts through January. Hopefully some good deals to be had in the next few months!

I tend to agree with Adam on this for at least a few buyers. I know I have been buying a lot recently and so even though there are a few books out there that interest me (several times duplicates of books I already own), I have held back on buying them. Obviously, if I see a "must have" out there, then I intend to go for it, but many of the lesser "wants", I am letting slide.

Amazing Man #26 $7060.00.

That's a deal for someone.

Yes, looks like it only did a shade better than the restored copy that sold on CL several years ago. So much for some of the predictions that this copy would go for somewhere in the $10K to $15K range. :P

anyone that predicted those type numbers simply didn't understand the aman market

[A]nyone that predicted those type numbers simply didn't understand the aman market
If I understand you correctly, there are only a few active aman collectors. As more copies of aman surfaces to the marketplace, those collecting niches get filled. The absence of demand from new collectors entering the market, along with more supply; FMV stabilizes or possibly declines over time.

As the proverb goes, 'collect what you like'

I was the winning bid on the Action 10 until the last 30 seconds. Frankly I would have been in shock if I had won. I think it still went cheap.

Restored

Restored

That was a nice looking book.

Although I do not typically buy restored books, I think that was a much better choice over the lower grade qualified. Sorry, you did not win it.

Although I do not typically buy restored books, I think that was a much better choice over the lower grade qualified. Sorry, you did not win it.

Do you not think the qualified copy could be improved upon by an expert ?

Do you not think the qualified copy could be improved upon by an expert ?

This is a good point and perhaps one the buyer considered. I have never personally had any book restored, pressed, or cleaned, so I don't know. From what I have heard, there are those out there that can work "miracles" on anything. If the lower grade can be brought back to life for a reasonable cost, then perhaps the final hammer was a good price after all. Thanks for pointing that out (it was not something I considered when viewing the book, and perhaps I should have).

The first double digit Action I ever owned was a 17.

To be honest it was a 17 and 18, as I bought them both the same day from a LCS.

They were the "grails" of my collection for a long time.

nice!

Mine was a trip down to Metropolis Comics 10+ years ago, which ended up with me bringing home 15, 16, and 18.

nice!

Mine was a trip down to Metropolis Comics 10+ years ago, which ended up with me bringing home 15, 16, and 18.

WOW!

That sounds like an expensive, but rewarding trip. Nicely done!

nice!

WOW!

That sounds like an expensive, but rewarding trip. Nicely done!

not so expensive, given the state of the 16 and 18. but yeah!

Action 23, 6.5 for $28k. :o

The 3.0 for $8357 was nothing to sneeze at either.

I'm wondering if any Gators took a bite out of either one of those (or both).... hm

-J

nope...I Think I sold a 6.5 last year for 18K...too rich for my blood

Damn that's almost what a 5.0 Voldy went for last month.

Jay;

Are you trying to tell us that the Voldy's are selling for more than what a higher grade CGC copy was even selling for. :o:baiting:

lol I see what you're doing there but that's impossible to say. The Voldy Action 23, 5.0 sold for $15.5k last month and Gator said he thinks he sold a 6.5 for $18k a year (or more?) ago.

Too much time and grade differntial to draw any conclusions , or comparisons , and the book has been in overdrive all year.

-J.