• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

How is it this item shot up to $3533 with a day to go, when a better looking copy sat on the exchange for six months for $3000?

Auction:

RADBFD9A201685_163751.jpg

Exchange:

RADB6E1F2015526_163555.jpg

Somebody is asking 5K for that copy now, but that image is way to pixilated to judge as to whether it's "better". It also has distracting writing on the cover. The auction copy is a weak 6.0 though.

I was surprised the Action 17 5.0 did not go higher?
Yeah, that's one I wish I had gone after. It sold for $3,500. Under guide for a 1939 Superman Action cover seems like a great deal. The auction listing also mentioned a 6.0 sold for $11,500 a few months back.

I won the action 15 last night ___ 1.0 restored.

Figured I'd take a stab at the earliest superman cover within reach that was still bright and majority of it presentable... hopefully made a wise purchasing choice. I personally expect 15 to take a bump but who knows, end of the day, it's a great cover!

Thinking about getting it color touched on the action letters professionally, any opinions on that? Would it bump the grade and be worth the investment (past the improved presentation of it)?

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Daction%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F1135434&id=1135434

some 6-7 years ago I "predicted" here on these boards, that the action 1 cgc 6.0 would sell for $317,000....a very "specific" number and as well documented, it sold for $317,200... "how" did I know this...well, that was what I was willing to pay/bid, and I believed to be willing to pay at top of known market at the time...

I believe the Larson aman 5 to be "worth" 12K...why?,that is what I felt I was willing to pay for it... but I didn't bid on it for a personal reason, so my "estimate" was clearly not valid in this case

Good information.

So you are a clairvoyant or your own self-fulfilling prophecy. hm

Now that the auctions for Aman is over did you win any?

I won 2 of the 3 that were upgrades for me...the third closed to quickly to one I did win, and I couldn't get my bid in and lost :cry:

Figured I'd take a stab at the earliest superman cover within reach that was still bright and majority of it presentable... hopefully made a wise purchasing choice. I personally expect 15 to take a bump but who knows, end of the day, it's a great cover!

Thinking about getting it color touched on the action letters professionally, any opinions on that? Would it bump the grade and be worth the investment (past the improved presentation of it)?

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Daction%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F1135434&id=1135434

congrats! Since it's already been color touched, I would have someone fix up the logo, for sure. Will not effect grade, but will look much better.

Yeah, that's one I wish I had gone after. It sold for $3,500. Under guide for a 1939 Superman Action cover seems like a great deal. The auction listing also mentioned a 6.0 sold for $11,500 a few months back.

A 5.0 with SB pages sold for $3400 on ebay back in July. What was the PQ on this one?

I bought that copy when I picked up a low grade Golden Age OO collection about 8 months ago. I considered color touching it myself, at least the rest of the letters, but sold it raw instead. It's probably worth doing just for eye appeal reasons alone, but I wouldn't spend much on the process.

congrats! Since it's already been color touched, I would have someone fix up the logo, for sure. Will not effect grade, but will look much better.

Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm leaning toward. Never restored a book before (usually I'm against it) but as you said this one is already restored and irreversible from what I can tell. In no rust to do it.

I bought that copy when I picked up a low grade Golden Age OO collection about 8 months ago. I considered color touching it myself, at least the rest of the letters, but sold it raw instead. It's probably worth doing just for eye appeal reasons alone, but I wouldn't spend much on the process.

Cool to know! Any idea on cost? I messaged one restoration expert but haven't heard back yet.

IMO, the main part of the cover still looks pretty good, so adding some color at a reasonable cost would be a great bonus.

Cool to know! Any idea on cost? I messaged one restoration expert but haven't heard back yet.

IMO, the main part of the cover still looks pretty good, so adding some color at a reasonable cost would be a great bonus.

sanford-corporation-30102-sh-sharpie-pen-red-sharpie_3116739.jpg

Would you consider leafcasting the front cover to make it complete?

sanford-corporation-30102-sh-sharpie-pen-red-sharpie_3116739.jpg

It's not ideal but boy will it work! Cost effective too, it's all about margins lol

Thought about it, for now I don't think i will. I may have to do more digging on the improved grade vs cost. I have little to no knowledge on resto cost. However from a collector standpoint, I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

As I have said, a lot of big hits with this CLink auction here, but also a lot of misses relative not only to the lofty expectations of some boardies here, but also some when compared to the more conservative prices in the OS guide. hm

I guess it's a matter of trying to maneuver your way through to search out some of the bargains. :wishluck:

As I have said, a lot of big hits with this CLink auction here, but also a lot of misses relative not only to the lofty expectations of some boardies here, but also some when compared to the more conservative prices in the OS guide. hm

I guess it's a matter of trying to maneuver your way through to search out some of the bargains. :wishluck:

I'm also wondering on the timing between auctions. From my understanding, some auctions were quite close together. So if you miss one... and don't react fast to increase your bid on another, you miss both. I saw there was about a $5-6K difference (going off memory) between the BB28 7.0 and 7.5. If they were that close together, timing could impact bidding.

Thought about it, for now I don't think i will. I may have to do more digging on the improved grade vs cost. I have little to no knowledge on resto cost. However from a collector standpoint, I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

Well, good luck. There are some great restoration professionals out there. (thumbs u

A 5.0 with SB pages sold for $3400 on ebay back in July. What was the PQ on this one?

The 5.0 at Comiclink had cream to off-white pages. Looked pretty nice for the grade too.

the 20 I won sold for less than the last 2.0 in 2014 did—and less than every other copy I have been offered over the past 10 years of looking.... is that good or bad? :cry:

the 20 I won sold for less than the last 2.0 in 2014 did—and less than every other copy I have been offered over the past 10 years of looking.... is that good or bad? :cry:

That can only be bad. Early Actions are crashing. Sell before it's too late!!