• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

The fact that there are finite numbers of these books should help.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

They will have the money in 10 - 15 years to be buyers for these books.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

I remain on the cautiously optimistic side!

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

The hobby needs more guys like you, pal!!

They are out there, believe me - most prefer other means of communication rather than these boards - I don't mean twatter or fistbook particularly - I'm not on either, but there are some closed groups of young, educated collectors in their 20's - 30's here in Australia.

I imagine there are many, many more in your part of the world!

We have a guy that comes into the distillery all the time that we fondly refer to as "Spiderman" who is a big time comic collector in his 30's. He buys a wide range but picks up bronze age keys right now. He has two sons both young that are in to comics. I think within another year I will have him buying GA.

..... Dirty pusher :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... I wonder who got the Wonder ?.......13 that is..... GOD BLESS...

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

In my 30's too waiting for that deluge of selling the naysayers keep talking about...ill keep holding my breath.

Also in my 30's. Seems to be a theme.

Ltpink2002, I think you got an absolute steal on that Sensation 13 book. I was high bidder until yesterday, when I didn't up my bid because I figured it would go for 2x what you paid. World Wide had one at the same grade on their website that was marked sold at $7500. That is a tough, tough book.

That's the thing about having so many high quality auctions one right after the other. Too many books and not enough time and/or money to focused in on all of them, especially when it's also at the end of the busy summer convention season.

Sounds like it was a steal if it went for less than half of what World Wide had sold an equivalent graded copy for. I guess it's all about timing and luck sometimes, on the part of both the consignor and the buyer. hm:wishluck:

Bingo

2c

In my 30's too waiting for that deluge of selling the naysayers keep talking about...ill keep holding my breath.

And a reassuring theme it is!

It would seem there are many, many more comic buyers in the 20's - 30's age range than is widely thought.

Good to know that the hobby may be on a firmer footing than most think.

I just sold a copy of The Spirit #1 (1944) to a young Australian fellow - couldn't have been a day over 25.

He was delighted, and will be looking for more GA books in his price range.

Obviously, the more financially secure he becomes, the wider the range.

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Bingo

2c

..... although I had accumulated a couple of GA books in my youth through happenstance, it was in my early 30's when I first started to pursue the era. I believe it was probably the National 13 that cinched it for me..... or maybe the Marvel Mystery 17 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

Bingo

2c

..... although I had accumulated a couple of GA books in my youth through happenstance, it was in my early 30's when I first started to pursue the era. I believe it was probably the National 13 that cinched it for me..... or maybe the Marvel Mystery 17 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

Paraphrasing what I've heard other people say -- the SA books are a gateway drug to the GA books, and once you're hooked there's no going back. That has been the case with me, now in my (waning) 40's, and I would imagine the "younger" generation will catch up once their SA fancy is sated. :juggle:

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

:gossip: ... don't let him fool you..... he's been 35 for over 12 years now.... some nonsense about Martian time..... GOD BLESS...

This resonates, my little ones make me feel old too, but they already love hearing about and looking at the books (skeletons are very popular) ...cementing the next generation.

was happy to get this Sub-Mariner for $910. They had a few other pricier early Sub-Mariners and was glad to take home one of the offerings. Also appreciated that the Marvel Mystery books were separated by a day in the auction from these to get a chance to breathe to figure out a buying strategy.

Subby_zpsvcp1elf2.jpg

Love the red and green colors on this Subby cover.

Looks like Brittle Pages are a real killer on these books, as all of the other Subby's went for real strong prices. Nice run of Subby 11 though 14, with the only missing one being issue #13 which seems to be one of the more popular and in-demand issues in the run. Wonder if the consignor is simply holding back on the #13, since it's got that classic Schomburg snake and hooded cultist villains cover. hm

My bet is that issue 13 will become one of the go to covers in this Subby run going forward, especially in light of how these types of classic covers seems to be the hot flavor of the year right now. :cloud9::takeit:

:gossip: ... don't let him fool you..... he's been 35 for over 12 years now.... some nonsense about Martian time..... GOD BLESS...

:grin:

lol I hear you. 50 gives you a perspective on what you should have done when you were 35!

Thats a fact!

I'm not so sure about that. When I started putting tens of thousands of dollars in GA books back in 2003 (at the age of 31), I had absolutely no clue anything existed before the Silver Age (other than Batman and Superman). I would say that anyone who loves collecting comics books in general (even moderns like myself prior to 2003), they have a good chance at gravitating towards GA books at some point in their collecting lives.

You assembled a set of very lovely books :luhv:

Too bad they're mostly gone now. :tonofbricks::sorry:

You released them back into the wild for others to appreciate. :preach:

Yup, hard to justify my fascination with GGA books to my wife after getting married. :insane:

Hey Ed;

You should have told your wife that you were keeping the books for investment purposes and not for the hot girls on the cover. :gossip:

Anyways, I still got the Church copy of Witches Tales #12 which you was so kind to sell to me back about 5 years ago. Absolutely loved the green cover which is really a poor man's version of L.B. Coles classic spider cover. :cloud9:

It's a definite keeper from my point of view, as it's going to be in my collection for a long long time. (thumbs u

I had been planning on bidding higher on the Sensation that was a triple cover, I think 31?

No, the one with the triple cover was issue #33. :gossip:

Does anyone know if CGC has changed their policy in terms of the grade assignment for these books with multiple covers? I thought they used to always go with the grade for the interior cover, similar to this one for Sensation #35:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136811&id=1136811

Looks like the first cover is only a VF 8.0 and the interior is a NM 9.4, with CGC giving it a final grade of NM 9.4. Looks like the case has a crack in it and is being sent back in for reholdering. Wonder if the grade will hold or if it will come back as only a VF 8.0 copy which would probably make the purchaser :mad::censored: ?

Just asking since it looks like issue #20 was sent back in for reholdering during the course of the auction. Note the new CGC label on this book. The first cover is only a VF+ 8.5 and the interior is once again a NM 9.4, but this time it looks like CGC gave it a final grade of only VF+ 8.5, as shown below: ???

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136736&id=1136736

Finally, if we look at issue #33 below which is the one with the triple cover. The first cover and the interior cover are both only VF 8.0's and the second cover in the middle is VF+ 8.5 and it looks like CGC went with the one in the middle this time as the book was given a final grade of VF+ 8.5: :screwy:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136789&id=1136789

So, what is the correct policy for the assignment of condition grades when it comes to books with multiple covers? ???

+1 Gino! and ... :applause: my sentiments as well (except I am in my 40's) :grin:

Bingo

2c

What happened to the Two Gun Kid 58 CGC 7.0 that was up until tonight?

It was withdrawn due to a "listing error".

I was high bidder and got an email from CL.

Thx- what was the recorded high bid when it was removed on the last day of the auction?

I can't find the e-mail now, but I think it was around the$100 mark.

I had been planning on bidding higher on the Sensation that was a triple cover, I think 31?

Does anyone know if CGC has changed their policy in terms of the grade assignment for these books with multiple covers? I thought they used to always go with the grade for the interior cover, similar to this one for Sensation #35:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136811&id=1136811

Looks like the first cover is only a VF 8.0 and the interior is a NM 9.4, with CGC giving it a final grade of NM 9.4. Looks like the case has a crack in it and is being sent back in for reholdering. Wonder if the grade will hold or if it will come back as only a VF 8.0 copy which would probably make the purchaser :mad::censored: ?

Just asking since it looks like issue #20 was sent back in for reholdering during the course of the auction. Note the new CGC label on this book. The first cover is only a VF+ 8.5 and the interior is once again a NM 9.4, but this time it looks like CGC gave it a final grade of only VF+ 8.5, as shown below: ???

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136736&id=1136736

Finally, if we look at issue #33 below which is the one with the triple cover. The first cover and the interior cover are both only VF 8.0's and the second cover in the middle is VF+ 8.5 and it looks like CGC went with the one in the middle this time as the book was given a final grade of VF+ 8.5: :screwy:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136789&id=1136789

So, what is the correct policy for the assignment of condition grades when it comes to books with multiple covers? ???

Maybe early on it was different, but as long as I've been buying CGC books it's always been they grade it based on the highest grade cover, regardless of which one it is (though as you noted, typically that's the interior cover since it's been protected by the exterior cover) .

and I'm 41, been collecting GA for the last 3 years. Started out with SA/BA for a couple of years but pretty quickly moved to GA because those SA/BA books seemed like they were a dime a dozen, and where's the fun in collecting books like that?!?!?

Maybe early on it was different, but as long as I've been buying CGC books it's always been they grade it based on the highest grade cover, regardless of which one it is (though as you noted, typically that's the interior cover since it's been protected by the exterior cover) .

and I'm 41, been collecting GA for the last 3 years. Started out with SA/BA for a couple of years but pretty quickly moved to GA because those SA/BA books seemed like they were a dime a dozen, and where's the fun in collecting books like that?!?!?

The grade is assigned based on the book as a whole not just one cover. I can't find it right now but there is an IM double cover where the cover grades are higher than the overall assigned grade.

:gossip:

I'm 53 with 2, 6, and 8 yrs. old tabcom juniors.

That pencils out to 123 in super-dad years.

I too thought you were older.