• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

was happy to get this Sub-Mariner for $910. They had a few other pricier early Sub-Mariners and was glad to take home one of the offerings. Also appreciated that the Marvel Mystery books were separated by a day in the auction from these to get a chance to breathe to figure out a buying strategy.

Subby_zpsvcp1elf2.jpg

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

Thats a fact!

I'm not so sure about that. When I started putting tens of thousands of dollars in GA books back in 2003 (at the age of 31), I had absolutely no clue anything existed before the Silver Age (other than Batman and Superman). I would say that anyone who loves collecting comics books in general (even moderns like myself prior to 2003), they have a good chance at gravitating towards GA books at some point in their collecting lives.

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

Thats a fact!

I'm not so sure about that. When I started putting tens of thousands of dollars in GA books back in 2003 (at the age of 31), I had absolutely no clue anything existed before the Silver Age (other than Batman and Superman). I would say that anyone who loves collecting comics books in general (even moderns like myself prior to 2003), they have a good chance at gravitating towards GA books at some point in their collecting lives.

You assembled a set of very lovely books :luhv:

was happy to get this Sub-Mariner for $910. They had a few other pricier early Sub-Mariners and was glad to take home one of the offerings. Also appreciated that the Marvel Mystery books were separated by a day in the auction from these to get a chance to breathe to figure out a buying strategy.

Subby_zpsvcp1elf2.jpg

That's a really sweet book :applause:

I was the under bidder on the Witchcraft 2 CGC 4.0, I am hoping it went to a fellow board member's home.

Doc Joe is skull collecting

Is several collectors of that genre, I am one as well. the good news is I have several already. Still after the elusive Punch 12 though. Can't seem to find a copy in the price range I am after that also has some eye appeal.

Thats a fact!

Just like the first wave of baby boomer retirees and last of the OO collectors were going to start selling off their books ten years ago, and swamp the GA market, driving down prices.

While you can make the general assumption that keys, classic covers and high grade are a safer bet than just random run fillers, that's not a guarantee. Some books have peaked, some may drop and there are still books out there that will sell for 3X as much a few years from now.

Thats a fact!

Too bad they're mostly gone now. :tonofbricks::sorry:

Thats a fact!

You released them back into the wild for others to appreciate. :preach:

Thats a fact!

You released them back into the wild for others to appreciate. :preach:

Yup, hard to justify my fascination with GGA books to my wife after getting married. :insane:

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

The fact that there are finite numbers of these books should help.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

They will have the money in 10 - 15 years to be buyers for these books.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

I remain on the cautiously optimistic side!

2c

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

Bingo

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

The hobby needs more guys like you, pal!!

Bingo

2c

They are out there, believe me - most prefer other means of communication rather than these boards - I don't mean twatter or fistbook particularly - I'm not on either, but there are some closed groups of young, educated collectors in their 20's - 30's here in Australia.

I imagine there are many, many more in your part of the world!

Bingo

2c

They are out there, believe me - most prefer other means of communication rather than these boards - I don't mean twatter or fistbook particularly - I'm not on either, but there are some closed groups of young, educated collectors in their 20's - 30's here in Australia.

I imagine there are many, many more in your part of the world!

We have a guy that comes into the distillery all the time that we fondly refer to as "Spiderman" who is a big time comic collector in his 30's. He buys a wide range but picks up bronze age keys right now. He has two sons both young that are in to comics. I think within another year I will have him buying GA.

Bingo

2c

In my 30's too waiting for that deluge of selling the naysayers keep talking about...ill keep holding my breath.

Any opinion on the Whiz # 1 6.5 OW/W that sold for $106k? Seemed awfully low.
last 6.5 sold $86k. 20% increase seems about right

Although it may seem right, based upon one of your previous comments on this book, I guess the consignor would not be very happy:

knowing what the consignor paid for the book, I doubt it will end sub 100K...

I know if I owned it and consigned I would make sure it somehow ended above 130k