• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

The fact that there are finite numbers of these books should help.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

They will have the money in 10 - 15 years to be buyers for these books.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

I remain on the cautiously optimistic side!

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

In my 30's too waiting for that deluge of selling the naysayers keep talking about...ill keep holding my breath.

Also in my 30's. Seems to be a theme.

..... although I had accumulated a couple of GA books in my youth through happenstance, it was in my early 30's when I first started to pursue the era. I believe it was probably the National 13 that cinched it for me..... or maybe the Marvel Mystery 17 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Paraphrasing what I've heard other people say -- the SA books are a gateway drug to the GA books, and once you're hooked there's no going back. That has been the case with me, now in my (waning) 40's, and I would imagine the "younger" generation will catch up once their SA fancy is sated. :juggle:

I also remember reading Marvel Mystery 17 as a kid. I was born many years after it was ;published, but the WW2 era story resonated because I had been hearing about Pearl Harbor all my life, and here was a story published before Pearl Harbor that had the Nazis invading Alaska, and the heroes thwarting the plot included one hero (Namor) whose current adventures I had read, while the other (Human Torch) was the predecessor of a character I also knew from current books.

I don't know why people, who have heard of stories of young readers taking to older material like this time and again, keep putting forth the idea that nobody in the future will ever like something, or buy vintage copies of, something that published before they were old enough to buy it fresh off the stands.

Some of these prices are nuts. When all the 40-60 year old collectors start retiring and sell off their copies there is no way that the market is able to clear at these prices.

I'm inclined to agree. The steep rises in the past few years don't seem especially sustainable.

It really depends whether within the next 15 years serious inflation becomes entrenched. These books just might make nice inflation hedges. Hard to say.

Comics are a hedge against paying the Fed to hold your money (negative interest rates).

Bingo

Yeah, but when everyone's hedging the same way and driving prices up at double digit annual percentages - far more than is required for a hedge when inflation is low - it could end in tears.

As for age - people I chat to in the 'comic world' here are all much younger than me - in their 20's.

Admittedly they are more into Bronze / Copper (and the Walking Dead!) but all have expressed a firm commitment to purchasing GA/SA keys when their finances improve.

I think there are quite a few younger collectors who will make the leap into 'bigger' books when they get a little older and their kids are grown and mortgages reduced.

I certainly think the jump / fall in prices will continue as it has always done - some books heat up, some cool down.

It's just the way things go - but they sure as heck aren't printing anymore early Actions or Tecs, so if you want one, there is a very limited supply. And the people I talk to absolutely intend to - just a little later on.

2c

yep I'm 33...I think I can't remember these days hm but I got into GA a few years ago and have a map in my head of things I would like to acquire as I get older and older. I won't ever give up I just love this hobby to much and still enjoy the artwork and will always love reading these stories. As people get older they tend to be much more interested in the past and find mystery in the origins of things. Comics have always been one our countries great forms of expression and its history has been chronicled many times over. As the years pass and I become more solid on my feet financially which seems better and better every year as long as I am working hard I am able to knock things off my list I had never imagined but also am still exploring. The comic back issue sector has a lot of miles left on the tank in my opinion. Will the stall at some point probably but I don't think they will do a complete nosedive anytime soon. Like you said they aren't making more copies of these books and the ones we do have that are limited supply already aren't getting any younger either. Just enjoy it. I know the pool of buyers for some of the stuff I collect is remotely small but if only a few people in each state or country find the slightest bit of interest in them as they grow older their will be competition and with that the money will be there.

In my 30's too waiting for that deluge of selling the naysayers keep talking about...ill keep holding my breath.

..... although I had accumulated a couple of GA books in my youth through happenstance, it was in my early 30's when I first started to pursue the era. I believe it was probably the National 13 that cinched it for me..... or maybe the Marvel Mystery 17 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

Paraphrasing what I've heard other people say -- the SA books are a gateway drug to the GA books, and once you're hooked there's no going back. That has been the case with me, now in my (waning) 40's, and I would imagine the "younger" generation will catch up once their SA fancy is sated. :juggle:

I also remember reading Marvel Mystery 17 as a kid. I was born many years after it was ;published, but the WW2 era story resonated because I had been hearing about Pearl Harbor all my life, and here was a story published before Pearl Harbor that had the Nazis invading Alaska, and the heroes thwarting the plot included one hero (Namor) whose current adventures I had read, while the other (Human Torch) was the predecessor of a character I also knew from current books.

I don't know why people, who have heard of stories of young readers taking to older material like this time and again, keep putting forth the idea that nobody in the future will ever like something, or buy vintage copies of, something that published before they were old enough to buy it fresh off the stands.

+1. I grew up buying Bronze Age books off the stands and quickly gravitated to buy silver age and gold age books before I could drive. Only bad thing is where I grew up there were no comicbook stores.

Bingo

2c

:golfclap:

... and God help those young-uns if they ever read an E.C..... hey, old comics are just frikkin' cool (shrug) GOD BLESS....

The Steranko History of Comics were a real eye-opener for me when I was 12, and I looked forward o the color sections in the OSPG every year when I was a kid in the early 70s. I fell in love with GA, dabbling in Timelys, EC Science Fiction and More Funs with my hard earned paper route money. Even then they were expensive, starting at 20-30 bucks apiece, and I never had more than a few of any one, selling them off as my interests constantly shifted, but it's been my favorite era to collect ever since.

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

You don't look a day over 60!

PM me for my workout and diet secrets.

Video games and beer? :wishluck:

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

You don't look a day over 60!

PM me for my workout and diet secrets.

Video games and beer? :wishluck:

It's fall. Video games and red wine.

The Steranko History of Comics were a real eye-opener for me when I was 12, and I looked forward o the color sections in the OSPG every year when I was a kid in the early 70s. I fell in love with GA, dabbling in Timelys, EC Science Fiction and More Funs with my hard earned paper route money. Even then they were expensive, starting at 20-30 bucks apiece, and I never had more than a few of any one, selling them off as my interests constantly shifted, but it's been my favorite era to collect ever since.

I discovered the Steranko History book about 10 years ago on eBay. An amazing resource, and required reading for those with an interest in the GA of comics.

I just tried to pay and I got this message when I clicked on "pay for your auctions".

your connection is not private

attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.comiclink.com (for example, paswords, messages, or credit cards). NET:ERR_CERT_DAATE_INVALID

check box

Automatically report details of possible incidents to google.

anyone else seeing this? Ran malware scans and my Anti Virus program. Nothing comes up, I called my service provider and they said no one else was on the system.

:shrug:

Thanks, I tried my phone too, but it's a Droid, so Google is the browser. I think I'll just call next week. I don't want to fool around, I have Mozilla and Explorer, but I'll let someone who is more expert than I am try it:)

Just tried IE and it didn't work either.

I just tried to pay and I got this message when I clicked on "pay for your auctions".

your connection is not private

attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.xomiclink.com (for example, paswords, messages, or credit cards). NET:ERR_CERT_DAATE_INVALID

check box

Automatically report details of possible incidents to google.

anyone else seeing this? Ran malware scans and my Anti Virus program. Nothing comes up, I called my service provider and they said no one else was on the system.

:shrug:

I got the note "Safari can't verify the identity of the website comiclink".

Hi Everyone, I just heard about this and have a call into the manager or our hosting company. When this has happened in the past, it was because there was an administrative delay in renewing the SSL certificate, nothing nefarious. So, pretty sure it's just a dumb oversight. Sorry for the inconvenience, hang tight. -Josh