• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction starts tonight ...

583 posts in this topic

Yup, hard to justify my fascination with GGA books to my wife after getting married. :insane:

Wise desicion. :applause:

30s here, and I got my start in GA from skybolt and am forever grateful. I'd also like to add that there is nothing wrong with hiding GGA and spicy pulps from the wife as it adds to the thrill of collecting :D

Any opinion on the Whiz # 1 6.5 OW/W that sold for $106k? Seemed awfully low.
last 6.5 sold $86k. 20% increase seems about right

Although it may seem right, based upon one of your previous comments on this book, I guess the consignor would not be very happy:

knowing what the consignor paid for the book, I doubt it will end sub 100K...

I know if I owned it and consigned I would make sure it somehow ended above 130k

thats my understanding but what do I know :shy:

I had been planning on bidding higher on the Sensation that was a triple cover, I think 31?

No, the one with the triple cover was issue #33. :gossip:

Does anyone know if CGC has changed their policy in terms of the grade assignment for these books with multiple covers? I thought they used to always go with the grade for the interior cover, similar to this one for Sensation #35:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136811&id=1136811

Looks like the first cover is only a VF 8.0 and the interior is a NM 9.4, with CGC giving it a final grade of NM 9.4. Looks like the case has a crack in it and is being sent back in for reholdering. Wonder if the grade will hold or if it will come back as only a VF 8.0 copy which would probably make the purchaser :mad::censored: ?

Just asking since it looks like issue #20 was sent back in for reholdering during the course of the auction. Note the new CGC label on this book. The first cover is only a VF+ 8.5 and the interior is once again a NM 9.4, but this time it looks like CGC gave it a final grade of only VF+ 8.5, as shown below: ???

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136736&id=1136736

Finally, if we look at issue #33 below which is the one with the triple cover. The first cover and the interior cover are both only VF 8.0's and the second cover in the middle is VF+ 8.5 and it looks like CGC went with the one in the middle this time as the book was given a final grade of VF+ 8.5: :screwy:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136789&id=1136789

So, what is the correct policy for the assignment of condition grades when it comes to books with multiple covers? ???

I suspect the PQ on the Sens #20 resulted in the overall grade of 8.5. I seem to recall seeing a similar situation on a Golden Age Action Comics book light tan to off-white pages many years ago.

What happened to the Two Gun Kid 58 CGC 7.0 that was up until tonight?

It was withdrawn due to a "listing error".

I was high bidder and got an email from CL.

Thx- what was the recorded high bid when it was removed on the last day of the auction?

I can't find the e-mail now, but I think it was around the$100 mark.

Thanks Quicksilver (thumbs u

Interesting that the book was up for the auction up until the last day...due to a "listing error."

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

You don't look a day over 60!

I did think you were older though, October! (take that as a compliment, as the content of your posts are very knowledgeable!)

Thanks. My driver's license says I am 35, but my one year old makes me feel about 67 most of the time.

PM me for my workout and diet secrets.

I had been planning on bidding higher on the Sensation that was a triple cover, I think 31?

No, the one with the triple cover was issue #33. :gossip:

Does anyone know if CGC has changed their policy in terms of the grade assignment for these books with multiple covers? I thought they used to always go with the grade for the interior cover, similar to this one for Sensation #35:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136811&id=1136811

Looks like the first cover is only a VF 8.0 and the interior is a NM 9.4, with CGC giving it a final grade of NM 9.4. Looks like the case has a crack in it and is being sent back in for reholdering. Wonder if the grade will hold or if it will come back as only a VF 8.0 copy which would probably make the purchaser :mad::censored: ?

Just asking since it looks like issue #20 was sent back in for reholdering during the course of the auction. Note the new CGC label on this book. The first cover is only a VF+ 8.5 and the interior is once again a NM 9.4, but this time it looks like CGC gave it a final grade of only VF+ 8.5, as shown below: ???

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136736&id=1136736

Finally, if we look at issue #33 below which is the one with the triple cover. The first cover and the interior cover are both only VF 8.0's and the second cover in the middle is VF+ 8.5 and it looks like CGC went with the one in the middle this time as the book was given a final grade of VF+ 8.5: :screwy:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D37%26x%3D38%26y%3D13%23Item%5F1136789&id=1136789

So, what is the correct policy for the assignment of condition grades when it comes to books with multiple covers? ???

Correct the 33, sorry, I was getting another book I was bidding on confused. I know there was an Action 1 that was an 8.0 or 8.5 with rusty staples, but I still think that defect should affect the grade, not just the cover grade.

Does anyone know if CGC has changed their policy in terms of the grade assignment for these books with multiple covers? I thought they used to always go with the grade for the interior cover,

I suspect the PQ on the Sens #20 resulted in the overall grade of 8.5. I seem to recall seeing a similar situation on a Golden Age Action Comics book light tan to off-white pages many years ago.

Still, with such a significant grade difference between the 8.5 exterior and the 9.4 interior covers, it would be almost tempting to simply have the exterior cover removed and see if the book would go up on a resub.

After all, I am quite sure that the exterior cover must have played a part in CGC's determination of the overall final grade of only VF 8.5. With only the 9.4 interior cover to go on, are the pages bad enough to bring the whole book down to a VF 8.5 condition grade? hm(shrug)

How is it this item shot up to $3533 with a day to go, when a better looking copy sat on the exchange for six months for $3000?

Auction:

RADBFD9A201685_163751.jpg

People really like giant "P's?

The "P" copy originally sold as a 5.5. Came from a large collection that included Detective Comics #28.

Or is it possible that the purchaser thought it might actually be from the Pennsylvania pedigree collection? :insane:lol

After all, I still remember seeing a copy of Detective 78 with the same large "P" (if not slightly larger) designated as a Pennsylvania Copy and auctioned off right here on CL way back in the day. Clearly not a Pennsylvania since I had purchased the Penn copy of 'Tec 78 with the standard Penn "P" inscribed version from Geppi and Overstreet back in the mid 90's.

Too bad CL does not retain copies of their scanned images because it definitely looks similar to this copy of Supes 14 with the oversized "P". :(

PM me for my workout and diet secrets.

hahahaha

How is it this item shot up to $3533 with a day to go, when a better looking copy sat on the exchange for six months for $3000?

Auction:

The "P" copy originally sold as a 5.5. Came from a large collection that included Detective Comics #28.

Or is it possible that the purchaser thought it might actually be from the Pennsylvania pedigree collection? :insane:lol

After all, I still remember seeing a copy of Detective 78 with the same large "P" (if not slightly larger) designated as a Pennsylvania Copy and auctioned off right here on CL way back in the day. Clearly not a Pennsylvania since I had purchased the Penn copy of 'Tec 78 with the standard Penn "P" inscribed version from Geppi and Overstreet back in the mid 90's.

Too bad CL does not retain copies of their scanned images because it definitely looks similar to this copy of Supes 14 with the oversized "P". :(

The "big P" books were first sold off this year on eBay by a non comic seller. It was a decent-sized collection, with some cool stuff, but they brought very strong money. I think I was only able to buy one or two of them, the rest ended too high for my taste.

Auction:

The "big P" books were first sold off this year on eBay by a non comic seller. It was a decent-sized collection, with some cool stuff, but they brought very strong money. I think I was only able to buy one or two of them, the rest ended too high for my taste.

Didn't some -- or at least one -- come back trimmed?

Auction:

Didn't some -- or at least one -- come back trimmed?

....that doesn't necessarily mean that it was trimmed...... many GA books "look" trimmed..... a newbie grader may have just fumbled the ball.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Auction:

lol and how would you know this? It's not true.

Auction:

Because I had sent an personal email to Josh asking him for a scanned image of the apparent Penn copy of Detective 78 with the oversized "P" marking which was auctioned off on the CL website.

Received an almost immediate response back from Josh who politely stated that they no longer had a copy of this scan as they did not keep copies of their scanned images. Of course, this was several years ago and might no longer be the case. (shrug)

I am more than happy to be proved wrong in this particular case here. :wishluck:

Auction:

Because I had sent an personal email to Josh asking him for a scanned image of the apparent Penn copy of Detective 78 with the oversized "P" marking which was auctioned off on the CL website.

Received an almost immediate response back from Josh who politely stated that they no longer had a copy of this scan as they did not keep copies of their scanned images. Of course, this was several years ago and might no longer be the case. (shrug)

I am more than happy to be proved wrong in this particular case here. :wishluck:

Gotcha. That may have been the case years ago.