• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How are sellers able to sell CGC comics for $20 ?

47 posts in this topic

Keep in mind some collectors but slabs all the time that doesn't have monetary value, because they like what they like. If/when they sell, they all probably know they'll be on the losing end of the equation. Just saying, there's lots of reasons why some of these slabs hit the market.

When I have books come back WAY lower then expected

I just try to break even or make a few dollars to tell the truth.

I expect most books to return 9.6 or 9.8 for the most part but several come back WAY

lower for whatever reason. its expected by me now.

E

I think the seller in question - reynoldjay - submitted a big portion of his speculator hoard in the early 2000s

He hasn't updated the look of his website since the early 2000s either. http://biccomix.com/

Jesus, it hurts my eyes. I'm afraid to stay on the site for more than 2 minutes or I might get 3 or 4 popups randomly coming up.

It's called losing money on the sale if the seller is the slabber. not if they paid much less for it such as the "bulk" scenario described or perhaps winning one in a 99 cent auction, etc.

At some point I bought a bunch of SA and early BA books in various grades, trying to keep my total cost less than $20-$25 for each book because I wanted one in each grade to use as exemplars for grading raw books. Didn't matter so much what the books were (although getting a better book was better, sure).

OVERSLABBING is a disease.

Random Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern age books, nothing spectacular about them, 7.0, 6.0, 5.0....why?! Why waste your time and money unless it is a key book?

Seller: "Ohhh....look at my Avengers #120 (nothing extraordinary about it). I just got it graded and it came back a 6.0. It should be worth the Overstreet value plus the cost of the slab because somebody told us it was a 6.0."

Me: "Ummmm.....why?!?"

I have some of these slabs...mistakes basically. And also from when I started slabbing. Conan 14 cgc 5.0 - I bought a 14/15 Elric combination and tested the waters with the 14! A bunch of moderns, Maxx 34, 35 not pressed 9.4s, Daredevil End of days variants SS, that type of thing. So the $20 is to clear space in the hopes that someone else will actually enjoy them for what they are.

The Maxx will be coming out of the slabs soon enough to sell the series as a complete run. First I have to sell my nicer set, then my own OOs.

If you get your hands on a collection, and know you've made enough on the key books you've bought then selling the others for $20 is decent money and reduces your storage space.

Decent money?

Really?

Cheapest modern cost is $14.40 after dealer discount.

$5 invoice charge, .33 cents across the 15 book modern submission is all are sent in.

There is shipping cost down and back. Lets assume 15 books cost $1 each bach and forth.

Assume electronic payment on $20 * .03 = $.60

Time is money

You are lucky if you are making $3 at $20 assuming that the book cost $0.

Not exactly decent money.

$20 slabs are flat out books that were "Submission losers". Take the loss and move on. At $20 you are paying everybody else.

Bob

This is exactly why I prescreen

I don't send in any book unless it sells over a certain dollar amount that I set for myself, I have a 155 modern prescreens at CGC now, They received them on 6/10 and were graded 7/26 and have been told they will take another 2-3 weeks because they are still awaiting encapsulation because that is why they are taking so long and it's convention season, no idea why CGC needs to send 90% of it's work force to every convention when they are needed at the hub.

I don't send in any book unless it sells over a certain dollar amount that I set for myself, I have a 155 modern prescreens at CGC now, They received them on 6/10 and were graded 7/26 and have been told they will take another 2-3 weeks because they are still awaiting encapsulation because that is why they are taking so long and it's convention season, no idea why CGC needs to send 90% of it's work force to every convention when they are needed at the hub.

Out of 155, how many passed the pre-screen?

My take on that is because onsite grading is a large boon for CGC submissions....and to cover the demands of onsite submissions, they need to have a lot of staff at cons to get the work done , in such a short window of time.Even with so many graders, QC and encapsulation techs at a con like baltimore, CGC still gets so flooded with subs that they are forced to offer "onsite-ship home" at a show like Baltimore as an alternate to onsite grading, to appease their customer base.

CGC is actively hiring new graders, so is the other company, so the arguement of "just hire new graders, encapsulation techs etc." doesn't work.

Also, if they rush the application/hiring & training process....they'd end up with graders who really are not qualified to grade books, QC, encapsulation techs and receiving dept employees who do not know how to properly handle comics.

Also, onsite grading probably draws in new customers, con attendees who have never subbed books to CGC before and likely, become repeat/long term customers after they sub books at onsite grading cons.

Never minding that fact, damn near everyone from dealers, collectors and flippers go bananas over onsite grading, because it is very beneficial for sellers who can then immediately flip books onto eBay.

The only thing I dislike about onsite grading is that it makes for certain hot moderns, where there was maybe say only 1-3 buy it now listings at/aoound or over FMV/GPA on ebay, before a con like Baltimore .... the following week, eBay suddenly gets flooded with up to a dozen CGC 9.6 + CGC 9.8's, which are usually sold auction style.Historically, eBay auctions for slabbed moderns do not do very well.

Now, those 1-3 CGC 9.6 or CGC 9.8's at FMV set up via BIN take longer to sell because a flood of tool boxes throw up a CGC 9.8 up for auction, while a dozen other toolboxes are doing the exact same thing.

If these flippers/wanna be dealers had any understanding & appreciation of the market whatsoever, they would not flood ebay with .99 cent auctions.

I say list virtually everything via Buy It Now or DIE!!! :sumo:

Out of 155, how many passed the pre-screen?

No idea yet, everything is sitting in encapsulation for the past month

Guess the guy I bought this collection from wasn't very smart. This cost me under $2.image_zps10klnmum.jpg

That one illustrates my point. No need to send that one off to CGC.

Whoopeeee!! A below average Spidey book, offering no significance. Now give me extra because CGC said it was below average.....or let it sit for a long time and give me $2.