• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK based grading company. This should be fun

72 posts in this topic

Since Voldemort is already taken (and would have been a good code for a British grading company), maybe we can call these Daleks or Sontarans or Autons (some kind of code with a British-ism).

Well he's definitely tough on Page Quality....ow-w on a book from a couple years ago.

Jim

didn't even notice....just grabbed the cheapest one.

The only one sold, so it seems....

If he's lurking on the boards I'm sure he'll be flattered to read all of the optimistic and supportive words that have been posted so far, here in this thread.

I think the responses have been rather restrained and less savage than they could have been, given past business practices hm

Honestly, based on reputation, if I was thinking who would be the absolute worst people to front a UK grading company, it would be them...

...and what does "incased" mean? !!

This struck me as well. Surely it's encased?

In any case (pun intended) "incased" is a priceless Freudian slip...if you think about it.

'I'm going to grade your book but in case I don't spot restoration, I absolve myself of all responsibility'.

Having experienced Daryl's idea of 'strict' raw NM / M, which covers a generously-wide spectrum, expect quite a few gift grade 9.8s .

Surely there aren't that many mugs about? :wishluck:

He's still in business and thriving after 3 decades or so, which sadly proves there are.

Until collectors stop behaving like addicts...and I don't see that happening any time soon...people like this will continue to thrive.

Look at Chandler Rice and Desert Winds, among others. Shoddy, horrific "customer service", damage to books, and a pompous, stick-your-nose-in-other-people's-business attitude. These people would have been driven out of legitimate commerce, or forced to clean up their act, years ago.

But, because it's a hobby fueled by addiction and money, they thrive.

Does Darryll come to the London show in the spring?

I've never seen him.

I wonder if the new 'grading' company will have a booth at the next LSCC, where you can drop off submissions........

......waaay to near to silveracre for my liking :facepalm:

It IS Silveracre. Darryl has set up a grading company. :facepalm:

So it's going to be fair and impartial.

Exactly, for anyone who thought PGX was bad...... they ain't seen nothing yet.

And the problem is the 'uneducated' Brits and Europeans will see this as an option to save postage costs and use the service.

Silveracre for all its faults (and there are MANY) has a strong customer base and they will be blinkered by this "new service".

The website is poorly constructed and the T&C means the company is not liable for any mistakes on restoration and/or signatures, they just grade (or rather guess).

Which is completely unlike CGC, right? (shrug)

Restoration.

While EGC makes every effort to check for all types of restoration and gives each item a visual

inspection, with older comics being checked with both eye glass and or black light, EGC can not

be held responsible for undetected restoration or alteration which was not detected while being

inspected. Items found with restoration can be worth a fraction of the value of an unrestored item,

and buyers should take advice and beware of this, and the possible failings in relation. Restoration

detection is not an exact science and EGC does not warrant or totally guarantee this service, or be

held liable should restoration be missed.

By submitting a comic / comics to EGC (Euro Grader Comics), you are giving EGC permission to

grade and encapsulate the given items.

Certified Autographs.

EGC uses a mixture of seen in person, certificates of authenticity, past experience and probability

to access if an autograph is thought to be genuine. Although every effort is made to ensure

authenticity, EGC can not be held responsible for misjudgements of authenticity.

What CAN they be held responsible for? Bueller?

Restoration.

While EGC makes every effort to check for all types of restoration and gives each item a visual

inspection, with older comics being checked with both eye glass and or black light, EGC can not

be held responsible for undetected restoration or alteration which was not detected while being

inspected. Items found with restoration can be worth a fraction of the value of an unrestored item,

and buyers should take advice and beware of this, and the possible failings in relation. Restoration

detection is not an exact science and EGC does not warrant or totally guarantee this service, or be

held liable should restoration be missed.

By submitting a comic / comics to EGC (Euro Grader Comics), you are giving EGC permission to

grade and encapsulate the given items.

Certified Autographs.

EGC uses a mixture of seen in person, certificates of authenticity, past experience and probability

to access if an autograph is thought to be genuine. Although every effort is made to ensure

authenticity, EGC can not be held responsible for misjudgements of authenticity.

What CAN they be held responsible for? Bueller?

Taking our money!

And the problem is the 'uneducated' Brits and Europeans will see this as an option to save postage costs and use the service.

Silveracre for all its faults (and there are MANY) has a strong customer base and they will be blinkered by this "new service".

The website is poorly constructed and the T&C means the company is not liable for any mistakes on restoration and/or signatures, they just grade (or rather guess).

That's what I was thinking. Yes, they've made it right in the past (in certain situations), but CGC has never 100% guaranteed that either. Read the T&C on the back of the old labels.

That's what I was thinking. Yes, they've made it right in the past (in certain situations), but CGC has never 100% guaranteed that either. Read the T&C on the back of the old labels.

This is true but then CGC never had such a huge conflict of interest. EGC/Silveracre are now in a position where they could slab one of their own books to sell, deliberately ignore restoration and then claim that they never guaranteed that they could spot it anyway if they got caught.

I realise that you're just pointing out the similarities between the terms and conditions of the two companies but the conflict of interest puts the consequences of those T&C's in a whole other ball game.

I've said it before, CGC should open a branch in the UK - it's a huge mostly untapped part of the market -

if they don't consider UK grading to be a logistical possibility, I'd be happy to take submissions in for them and bulk freight them to Florida. They can pay me in submissions for my own books.

After all, Darryl's pricing there is no cheaper than CGC's, it simply cuts down on the international shipping costs.

there should certainly be any easier way of doing business with CGC from the UK

all the form printing off and fannying around with shipping puts me off

Darryl's case's look pretty good (other than the vile orange label) wonder how he got the machinery, plastics etc - there was a relationship with Vault in Australia previously?

I also wish CGC would grade English comics like 2000AD - really needs a UK branch... based in Hertfordshire ;)

Now if you have some sort of link to that info - very interesting. I would have thought that Halo would have been the one-man-band to join with the Silveracre one-man-band.

Halo slabs are pretty much ignored, and it is operated from a comic shop in Queensland - a likely place to buyout old stock (slabs encapsulation equipment etc) - I thought Vault were in the USA, not Australia?

I've said it before, CGC should open a branch in the UK - it's a huge mostly untapped part of the market -

if they don't consider UK grading to be a logistical possibility, I'd be happy to take submissions in for them and bulk freight them to Florida. They can pay me in submissions for my own books.

After all, Darryl's pricing there is no cheaper than CGC's, it simply cuts down on the international shipping costs.

there should certainly be any easier way of doing business with CGC from the UK

all the form printing off and fannying around with shipping puts me off

Darryl's case's look pretty good (other than the vile orange label) wonder how he got the machinery, plastics etc - there was a relationship with Vault in Australia previously?

I also wish CGC would grade English comics like 2000AD - really needs a UK branch... based in Hertfordshire ;)

Now if you have some sort of link to that info - very interesting. I would have thought that Halo would have been the one-man-band to join with the Silveracre one-man-band.

Halo slabs are pretty much ignored, and it is operated from a comic shop in Queensland - a likely place to buyout old stock (slabs encapsulation equipment etc) - I thought Vault were in the USA, not Australia?

There was a thread on Halo earlier this year (sorry wasn't obvious how to link it in)

To quote myself -

See OS 45 pg 97 for a market report from Halo. You should all be reassured that they are affiliated with Silveracre in the UK (who are described as "prompt and trustworthy")

Your theory maybe correct!