• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom's All-Stars on Parade! (thread title tradedmarked by NM)

41 posts in this topic

Seeing Jeff's Action thread get the bump reminded me to post my All-Stars, which I've been meaning to do for a while. As All-Stars in low and midgrade seem to pop up with more frequency on ebay than a lot of the other mainstream GA DC books, I decided to go for a VF run in order to make my collection "unique." I've been delighted to find that I can (so far) pick up these books at guide or less, even though that ain't exactly cheap, neither.

How much farther will this run go? Only time will tell. The expense of the books dictates that this will be a long-term project. I picked up two of these books in the last Heritage sig auction, and that tapped me out for awhile on big-buck comics---even though there's several nice all stars in the upcoming sig auction, I won't be bidding this time around as I need to replenish the kitty. If they're available at the right price, I'm hoping to pick up one more towards the end of '05, and two to three more in '06, thus getting the total to 10 books in two years time (or less). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So it's hard to say exactly how much farther I'll take this project (though I hope the answer is much farther!). One thing I can say for sure: every time I get one of these books in the mail, I get a rush out knowing that I'm holding a powerhouse classic in my grubby mitts. Naturally, I've gotten the biggest kick out the key book in this lot, the #6... cloud9.gif (I'm also extra-proud of that one as it was purchased entirely out of the profits from flipping highgrade slabbed bronze...CGC, God bless you! 27_laughing.gif)

So without further ado, here's the "parade!" (TM Jeff)

AllStar6.jpg

AllStar28.jpg

allstar29.jpg

AllStar31.jpg

AllStar34.jpg

allstar43.jpg

Very Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Whenever I see the cover to 28 now, I always get amused thinking about the Roy Thomas intro in the Archives, where as a kid he disliked the cover because it looked to him like Hawkman was at school and asking to go to the toilet! 27_laughing.gif

Awesome! I certainly know what you mean about not being able to afford everything you'd like to buy. I'm in the exact same boat.

I look forward to seeing your future acquisitions in this thread!

893applaud-thumb.gif Congrats on a fantastic start. Considering your thread a while back is what got me started on the Month thread, it's awesome to see you made such headway in a short time. Again, let's see them when you get them in!

Very Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Whenever I see the cover to 28 now, I always get amused thinking about the Roy Thomas intro in the Archives, where as a kid he disliked the cover because it looked to him like Hawkman was at school and asking to go to the toilet! 27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

That does remind me of school. I'm so glad I'm in the working world now and don't have to be chained to a desk or be bombarded by so many demands on my time I can't even take a bio break.

Wait a second...

BTW, nice books SH 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. grin.gif It's true, I did pick up a number of these books in a pretty quick span, and now need to slow it down considerably. But I'll be sure to post the next All-Star I pick up in this thread. thumbsup2.gif

Good God, I can't believe it's been over two years since I've updated this thread. WTF!?

Anyhow, finally, at long last, I am buying books again. In addition to the All-Star #7 that I am in the process of paying off, here's a sweet book that arrived in the mail today!

allstar18wu2.th.jpg

Sorry about the weird click-able scan...I'm having some inexplicable image hosting problems at the moment....will get sorted out soon. (If you guys click on the image, do you get a larger scan?)

Psyched to be back in the game! yay.gif

excellent...as a fellow AS fan (I only own #3, #8 and #36), nice to see someone going after the run...your task is a tall one (in VF or better)...but, as you say, it will make your run very unique!

congrats and continued good luck

rick

I absolutely love All-Stars! hail.gif I've been working on my run for a while now. 24 down, 33 to go. yay.gif

Here's a group shot I took a few weeks ago. Robert B, I bought the #36 from you at the 2006 NY Comic Con.

allstargroupshotsmallsz6.jpg