• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel has lost its way

230 posts in this topic

Can't compare digital to slabbed comics, they're in your hand, you can crack it open and read it if you want to, as some people do.

I think it comes mostly down to generations, I grew up in 80's, collecting was fun, a big thing, whether comics, trading cards, action figures etc etc

The younger generation grew up with mobile phones, games consoles, psb's, gameboys etc

So this generations world is virtual, so I can see the appeal for them, look at the people around us, they can't put their phones down for five minutes, some even when in the company of others. I don't think this generation knows what collecting is, in the sense what we did growing up.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if this generations conclusion's that, every time they see a hot bird on their Ipad, they think they actually got with her, I mean, it felt real at the time, and she's sticking around, lmfao.

I think it comes mostly down to generations, I grew up in 80's, collecting was fun, a big thing, whether comics, trading cards, action figures etc etc

The younger generation grew up with mobile phones, games consoles, psb's, gameboys etc

So this generations world is virtual, so I can see the appeal for them, look at the people around us, they can't put their phones down for five minutes, some even when in the company of others. I don't think this generation knows what collecting is, in the sense what we did growing up.

I'm a fifty-something anomaly, then. hm:)

Just received a notification from Amazon that reading comics is now included in my Amazon Prime account. I do not know what that is all about though but will check out specifics next week. That would be amazing if the comixology subscription is included... but I doubt it would go that far.

That's interesting. Nothing mentioned yet for Prime UK. :wishluck:

Just received a notification from Amazon that reading comics is now included in my Amazon Prime account. I do not know what that is all about though but will check out specifics next week. That would be amazing if the comixology subscription is included... but I doubt it would go that far.

That's interesting. Nothing mentioned yet for Prime UK. :wishluck:

You're not missing much at the moment. When I tried the link, there were only 20 comics available (Archie, Vampirella, Peanuts, etc). I doubt they'll make tons of books and comics available on Prime Reading as Amazon does have two other subscription services: Kindle Unlimited for $9.99/mo (general ebooks) and Comixology Unlimited for $5.99/mo (comics). More likely than not, Prime Reading is designed to whet one's appetite to get them to subscribe to either Kindle or Comixology Unlimited.

Once they get rid of the hard copies, do you think your digitals will still be as cheap?

I can't think of a time in history that a format has ever gotten more expensive the more popular it got.

Except floppy comics of course.

Have comics gotten more popular though? Are unit sales up or just overall dollars because of higher prices?

As for digital, there is no way any corporation will lower prices such that their revenue goes down. The largest cost in comics is the creators. That doesn't change if the comic is sold digitally or physically. If digital sales start eating into physical sales, we'll see the digital prices go up to offset the loss in revenue. Until then, I don't see much of a change in pricing.

They don't have to lower their prices until they're taking a loss. Or even causing revenue to diminish. Sometimes lowering prices is a necessity to stay alive. Why have computers gotten cheaper even though they're more powerful now than they were in the 1980's? Because not only has the production gotten cheaper, but other people provide computers for less as well. Unless you have a monopoly on production and distribution, you have to remain competitive, or you'll price yourself out of business. I think we can all agree digital media can be reproduced and distributed far cheaper than physical media. That savings can be passed on to the consumer or passed up to the executive staff. Those who choose to pass it up had better hope their competitors don't pass it down.

Once they get rid of the hard copies, do you think your digitals will still be as cheap?

I can't think of a time in history that a format has ever gotten more expensive the more popular it got.

Except floppy comics of course.

Have comics gotten more popular though? Are unit sales up or just overall dollars because of higher prices?

As for digital, there is no way any corporation will lower prices such that their revenue goes down. The largest cost in comics is the creators. That doesn't change if the comic is sold digitally or physically. If digital sales start eating into physical sales, we'll see the digital prices go up to offset the loss in revenue. Until then, I don't see much of a change in pricing.

They don't have to lower their prices until they're taking a loss. Or even causing revenue to diminish. Sometimes lowering prices is a necessity to stay alive. Why have computers gotten cheaper even though they're more powerful now than they were in the 1980's? Because not only has the production gotten cheaper, but other people provide computers for less as well. Unless you have a monopoly on production and distribution, you have to remain competitive, or you'll price yourself out of business. I think we can all agree digital media can be reproduced and distributed far cheaper than physical media. That savings can be passed on to the consumer or passed up to the executive staff. Those who choose to pass it up had better hope their competitors don't pass it down.

While there is no monopoly per se, there is no other company who publishes Spider-Man, Batman, or the numerous other popular Marvel and DC properties. They have no competitors to worry about.

The IP of these characters is very much like Microsoft Windows. This is the most distributed software in the world. Yet the price has remained pretty much unchanged or has gone up since as long as I can remember. Sure, Microsoft has competitors, and some of those competitors' software is even free (Linux) but it hasn't changed anything. Marvel and DC are pretty much have the same situation.

Those properties are great on a level playing field. Watch their value diminish to nothing when the publishers try to price themselves above the competition. Marvel and DC certainly don't have a monopoly on well written and illustrated comics. Some might even say they're behind the curve there. So when there's Valiant or Dark Horse or Image offering arguably better super hero comics, for a lower price, just with a different colored cape, what will happen?

There was a time Mickey Mouse would have been the most valuable license in comics.

Those properties are great on a level playing field. Watch their value diminish to nothing when the publishers try to price themselves above the competition. Marvel and DC certainly don't have a monopoly on well written and illustrated comics. Some might even say they're behind the curve there. So when there's Valiant or Dark Horse or Image offering arguably better super hero comics, for a lower price, just with a different colored cape, what will happen?

There was a time Mickey Mouse would have been the most valuable license in comics.

Throughout much of the 2000s, Marvel and DC were priced higher than many indies. Dark Horse was selling Star Wars comics for $3.00 and $3.50 while Marvel was selling comics for $4.00. Image had several series priced at $3.00. And Marvel and DC didn't have any problems. Granted, they were not superhero comics.

We've had many indies attempt to compete with Marvel and DC with regards to superheroes. New Valiant is the latest and the best they have been able to get is what ... 1% of the market? And if you listen to the Valiant folks, those comics are much better than anything Marvel or DC is publishing. So, you think if Valiant dropped their prices by $1 they would be able to compete with the big 2? If they dropped the prices, they wouldn't be able to hire the good artists and writers they have.

This idea that 2 publicly trade companies are going to drop prices is a fantasy. They have shareholders to answer to. They won't be publishing 3 or 4 comics for $6.99 and they definitely are not going to roll back the prices on comics or digital offerings. They pretty much have a monopoly on superhero comics and the past 20 years and a handful of now defunct competitors have demonstrated this again and again.

I don't want it to be this way, but it just is. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Just sold Timewalker 1-12 for $12 shipped.

Honestly... they were a fun read but a waste to buy new off the rack. I should have gotten one of those Comixology monthly reading accounts.

Let's see... I paid $48 to resell them for basically $8.

Let's hear it for moderns !

I would honestly cringe if I had dozens of boxes of moderns.

But then again I did also just sell off my last CGC 9.8 Boba Fett Action Figure variant for $95 shipped... so huzzah.

Still does not balance out though if I was actually buying everything I read.