• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to collect a complete issue in this current market

44 posts in this topic

It can go either way, Chris. In my case (by publicizing my interest) I gained 8 pages comfortably against 1 page being held to ransom my an @zzhole type. The maths works in my favour

Totally agree that there are sharks in the water who will try to exploit you.

Completing a book is probably a stretch, but a big chunk is better than nothing.

Going for nice examples from a storyline, your way will work. I agree.

I was more referring to the "completing a story" question, in which case the closer you get to completion the higher the risk a relentless anus blocks your path.

Almost everyone I know, and helped selling them my pages from the stories they seek, has given up short of the mark for those reasons.

Sounds like you got as far as you hoped to get though, so that's good news to hear.

It can go either way, Chris. In my case (by publicizing my interest) I gained 8 pages comfortably against 1 page being held to ransom my an @zzhole type. The maths works in my favour

Totally agree that there are sharks in the water who will try to exploit you.

Completing a book is probably a stretch, but a big chunk is better than nothing.

Going for nice examples from a storyline, your way will work. I agree.

I was more referring to the "completing a story" question, in which case the closer you get to completion the higher the risk a relentless anus blocks your path.

Almost everyone I know, and helped selling them my pages from the stories they seek, has given up short of the mark for those reasons.

Sounds like you got as far as you hoped to get though, so that's good news to hear.

Absolutely. (thumbs u

My stance is 'Better something, than nothing' . . . unless you're the 'All or nothing' type! lol

I did complete one book X-Men #30, while I had all the page but three I eventually got the last 3 pages with the help of Spencer and Andy Kubert when Andy found them in a rusted out desk in the basement of the Kubert School and Spencer remembered I was trying to complete the issue.

Spencer is awesome like that. Got some absolute key pieces in my collection because he remembered what I liked and reached out to me.

I'm fortunate to have been lucky to find a full book in the recent past for a price that didn't break the bank. I made the mistake of noting that I wanted to pursue another full book and a someone went out and told me - not over my dead body. We'll see - luckily for me that person is much older than I am :hi:

So i agree - don't publicize your intent on chasing a full book. And if you are pursuing one don't post all that you have found on caf. Keep it quiet- all you need is a hater or 2 to screw you over.

This is an interesting thread. All of my complete books (TOD #49, DD #129, Hulk #135, Iron Man #94, Marvel Fanfare #27, SSM #169, Marvel Feature #6) were complete when I bought them. I have never successfully reassembled a book. I assume that will be pretty much impossible, so I just try to re-assemble as many pages from particular books as I can afford to re-assemble. By assuming it probably will never happen, I am able to prevent myself from getting too desperate and being ripped off too severely.

Many kind collectors have helped me over the years to gather pages from various books, including Marvel Super-Heroes #15 (9 pages), MTU #8 (9 pages), and MTIO #6 (10 pages). I also have, from time to time, sold off a page or two from books that I had been gathering pages from, when I needed some money. I don't view that as a huge crime against humanity because, again, I didn't really have any hope of putting the book back together anyway. However, I would be very reluctant to split up any of the books for which I have complete interiors.

Best regards, Lee

I think it's funny that only a few Boardies have posted to this thread. Either most folks aren't interested in piecing together a book or they are all holding their cards close to the chest :baiting:

One of the first pages that I bought was from Azrael #39, which was an Azrael vs Bane issue. I bought that from Anthony Snyder's site. Shortly after I decided to buy the other page on his site. I met another collector at a Toy and Comic show and told him I had these pages. Then lo and behold, he contacted me a few months later informing me that he acquired the cover to the book. The catch was that he wanted to trade for a cover I owned, one that I paid good money for. He wanted my cover so he can use it to pry a specific artwork from another collector. I didn't want to trade; I would've preferred to have purchased it and kept my cover. But I caved in because it's a really cool cover and perhaps this was a sign to complete the book. Plus, the cover I was going to give up was actually going to a collector who owned all the interiors and the color guides. I wanted THAT book to be complete while I receive Karmic points in the process.

Later, two pages from #39 popped up eBay and I bought those. Then I bought another page from James Pascoe. I was essentially finding one or two pages a year, then the luck ran out.

I haven't been aggressive about finding more pages. Partly because I'm afraid of extortion, partly because I would have to reserve a fund for these pages. That said, I'm no longer interested in completing the book. There are just too many variables that I'm not willing to deal with.

In the end, the guy I traded with never got the piece he wanted, but the other guy talked him into selling him the cover. The guy broke even on the sale, the collector paid 36% less than I did for the cover (shrug)

Here are the pages for anyone who's interested.

After following the link, I feel like this is some kind of morality test...

Rus away. :grin:

But to answer the premise if your first comment, as much as I love a good conspiracy, I think lack of comments comes down to there just aren't THAT many people trying to assemble incomplete books more that anything else.

My .02 cents

After following the link, I feel like this is some kind of morality test...

Rus away. :grin:

But to answer the premise if your first comment, as much as I love a good conspiracy, I think lack of comments comes down to there just aren't THAT many people trying to assemble incomplete books more that anything else.

My .02 cents

I'm trying to put a couple of books together, but it's definitely a 'back-burner' prospect. It is such a slow process that if it happens, it happens. I'm more focused on other facets of collecting that I can make actual progress on, and I'm sure others feel the same.

If my "collecting" consisted of only putting these books together I wouldn't have purchased anything in YEARS :cry:

I think the key is "what" and not "why"

So, put it out there what you are looking for. List the publisher, title, issue, publication date and art team. That's all that s needed to help track down the art you are looking for.

But don't disclose the reasons the why. So, no overzealous details describing your dream to put the book together.

Keep it simple. Nobody needs to know why, only what. If you are the moneybags type who likes to offer finders fees and throw money at a problem to find your solution, maybe put out a gaudy offer price as the bounty to the art you are seeking, that could help.

So, that is what I was trying to relay in practicing discretion in this competitive marketplace filled with opportunists, if you are price sensitive to acquiring your art.

Thanks to Yoram for his feedback (at the time) and a big, big thanks to Felix for being a stand-up type of guy.

Thanks Terry, appreciate that!

As for complete issues, I've sold over 20 of them over the last couple of years. There's more demand for them now from collectors, at least with me. From a relative value standpoint, you can get a complete new issue for less than the cost of a single B vintage page. Of course, you'd have to be a reader of new comics for any of this to matter.

For me, owning a complete issue is like having my own private Artist's Edition. Really enjoy it. Chip Kidd owns a couple of complete issues and I hope someday to give my complete issues similar deluxe treatment:

http://comicsalliance.com/chip-kidd-luxurious-custom-all-star-superman-and-batman-and/

I managed to put together a complete issue of Y: The Last Man, with the cover, which in some ways is one of the highlights of my collection. It didn't require any great detective work, though. Just bought each artist's allocation of pages directly from them.

I used to have a goal of putting together a complete issue of Cerebus, but I've long since realized the impossibility of that mission.

Never. Ever. EVER announce you're trying to complete a book. EVER!

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

On the flip side of this, if you are going to announce your intention to complete a book, please don't use that info to try to guilt collectors into selling you their page at an under-market price.

I had one guy nag me incessantly for a page he needed. After a couple months, I gave him a price I felt was fair. He said it was ridiculous, he couldn't afford it and I should come down ~50% so he could put his book together. That approach didn't work out well for him.

Just because you've decided to attempt a complete issue, doesn't mean that you're entitled to pages, let alone at a discounted rate lol

For every person willing to help you out, help you find a page, or sell you their page at a reasonable price, I would wager there are at least 4-5 people who see it as an opportunity to either beat you to the punch and hold the piece hostage waiting for a ransom, or (more and more common in this hobby) find out where the page is and gate-keep the information until you agree to pay them a finder fee for the information....you know for the "service" and the "courtesy". :eyeroll:

The first rule of "Complete Issue Collecting Club" is "DON'T TALK ABOUT COMPLETE ISSUE COLLECTING CLUB!"

On the flip side of this, if you are going to announce your intention to complete a book, please don't use that info to try to guilt collectors into selling you their page at an under-market price.

I had one guy nag me incessantly for a page he needed. After a couple months, I gave him a price I felt was fair. He said it was ridiculous, he couldn't afford it and I should come down ~50% so he could put his book together. That approach didn't work out well for him.

Just because you've decided to attempt a complete issue, doesn't mean that you're entitled to pages, let alone at a discounted rate lol

That's in part the reason why Black Hole Collectors keep their possessions private, to avoid these nut jobs who as so obsessed from making continual contact.

I'd simply block and disengage with that person, and every attempt made, if I wanted to communicate, I'd just increase it by 20% with every counteroffer... or tell him I traded it out or sold it to someone else who I can't disclose that will drive him crazy not knowing where a piece to the puzzle he's trying to complete is.

You're right about entitlement and how some collectors come off socially awkward to rude, but at the end of the day, you don't owe anyone anything, including a response/reply and can simply shut the door and never answer the doorbell again.

For me, owning a complete issue is like having my own private Artist's Edition. Really enjoy it. Chip Kidd owns a couple of complete issues and I hope someday to give my complete issues similar deluxe treatment:

http://comicsalliance.com/chip-kidd-luxurious-custom-all-star-superman-and-batman-and/

This is very nice. I am working on a book and would love to do something similar. Do you know who does this type of work?

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

ehh depends on what is is doesn't it?

The more desirable the hero, issue and series I can see your point.

However, if it is a series,character and issue few care about then I would say go for it. If you are completing an issue of Archie from the 1980s then you should let people know. Sure you might have to pay $75 a page instead of $50 here or there but so what. It is better to have the pages than not.

And my favorite...does one announce what they are doing in hopes of getting a few "black hole" pieces to pop up? I know this runs the risk of driving the prices up on the completist collector, but does it hold the advantage of actually getting the page as opposed to never having it at all?

However, if it is a series,character and issue few care about then I would say go for it. If you are completing an issue of Archie from the 1980s then you should let people know. Sure you might have to pay $75 a page instead of $50 here or there but so what. It is better to have the pages than not.

People are free to try any and all strategies they think may help them get to their goal. I am just imparting that not everyone hears the call of a collector needing help in the same way. Some guys hear that call and it sounds exactly like a wounded gazelle sounds to a cheetah. lol

When I 1st started collecting, I had thought of trying for a complete issue of the Invisibles, and the low cost of the pages I think is exactly what worked against me. I wound up giving up because after about 6-7 pages it just dried up.

Most people, it's really not worth the effort to display or really care about low value $50 pages, and they're scattered by the 4 winds. Vs "higher value" pages which usually are at least in the hands of more invested collectors. or at least that was my impression.

And in the last 5 years or so, I have not seen a single page from that issue surface, so maybe it was a good idea to give up and not drive myself insane =)

This has been a fun thread - love hearing all the different perspectives. It really makes me wonder how many people have really been able to reunite a book that was scattered to the 4 winds. The pages that weren't sold in bulk and held in a collection or two - the books that took monumental effort. What is the greatest rebuild story?