• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

The problem with hoarders, is that they are not very good sellers.

clearly chuck who is going on a wild buying spree, just look at the newsletters, he just bought a 100,000 comic book collection from a former competitor as he claims in Las Vegas along with 10,000 graphic novels..anybody know who that was?????

In the newsletter he claims they tried to duplicate the mile high business...and they failed and he stated the reasons why....now he buys then out for 10 cents on the dollar and sells it for mile high double retail...that is 20X what he paid .

who was this?...anybody know

Edited by Mmehdy

Sounds like Torpedo Comics.

Dave,

Did Torpedo go out of business?

I have not purchased from them in about 6 months. What I found strange was the two books I purchased from them (as a gift for someone) about 6 months ago are still listed for sale (by them) on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-WESTERN-TALES-23-CGC-9-8-HIGHEST-GRADED-/122150902639?hash=item1c70c2db6f:g:5r8AAOSwI-BWOpRJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-WESTERN-TALES-25-CGC-9-8-ONLY-2-GRADED-AT-9-8-/122150902606?hash=item1c70c2db4e:g:WegAAOSwwbdWOpRQ

Sounds like Torpedo Comics.

Dave,

Did Torpedo go out of business?

I have not purchased from them in about 6 months. What I found strange was the two books I purchased from them (as a gift for someone) about 6 months ago are still listed for sale (by them) on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-WESTERN-TALES-23-CGC-9-8-HIGHEST-GRADED-/122150902639?hash=item1c70c2db6f:g:5r8AAOSwI-BWOpRJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-WESTERN-TALES-25-CGC-9-8-ONLY-2-GRADED-AT-9-8-/122150902606?hash=item1c70c2db4e:g:WegAAOSwwbdWOpRQ

I knew John was going through some reorganization of his shop. That was the only big store in Vegas I could think of.

if you read the newsletter, he said the store tried to compete which to me means a mail order business. He said the cost of "listing" drove them under...? who was this??? and why sell to chuck?????? he had a big smile on his face.........

Edited by Mmehdy

I seem to recall hearing Chuck say he pays 1/4 X for things he sells for 3X.

I am going to assume X=FMV.

Not sure why anyone would sell to him for 1/4 FMV (which I would not doubt is less than 1/4 FMV)

Then again, not sure why anyone would buy from him at 3 times FMV (which I tend to believe is often more than 3 times FMV).

(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)

I seem to recall hearing Chuck say he pays 1/4 X for things he sells for 3X.

I am going to assume X=FMV.

Not sure why anyone would sell to him for 1/4 FMV (which I would not doubt is less than 1/4 FMV)

Then again, not sure why anyone would buy from him at 3 times FMV (which I tend to believe is often more than 3 times FMV).

(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)

He actually answered the question. Where you go to buy makes all the difference.

So, clueless widow of a collector---take them for a ride.

Go to show - pay a bit more.

Go to auction house - pay even more.

This video may have been shared previously, but I enjoyed Chuck's explanation when a collector asked him about his raw NM 98 priced at $2,600.

Fast forward to about 21:20. Interesting perspective.

And if you've never heard of Comic Trips I highly recommend them. Great YouTubers.

I had not seen this video before. I look forward to watching the whole thing. I do like Chuck's statement that he raises the prices on his books until they stop selling.

doh!

Yes indeed, he calls it his floating theory to pricing.

Almost sounds like the Peter Principle applied to the pricing of his comic books:

In a free market system, every comic book shall rise to its level of overvaluation until it can no longer be sold. hmlol

Thanks for the new youtube channel. I am getting more interested in these type of channels. I am wondering if they get sponsored or how they are actually making a living. It seems to be the new career opt for the younger generation. I started to look at product reviews on youtube and have come to realize that most online reviews through company kickbacks or sponsorship programs. Even Amazon has their professional reviewers that get the product for free.

Anyway, that was an interesting in depth look at the inside of Mile High. It was nice of Chuck to take some time out of his day and show those guys around.

This video may have been shared previously, but I enjoyed Chuck's explanation when a collector asked him about his raw NM 98 priced at $2,600.

Fast forward to about 21:20. Interesting perspective.

And if you've never heard of Comic Trips I highly recommend them. Great YouTubers.

Appreciate the heads up on that channel, I had not run across them before. Also really appreciate Chuck's explanation. Interesting take and I found myself actually nodding to myself "yeah that makes sense". I'd like to go and visit.

breaking news:

On chucks newest newsletter today...he states first he is going to San Francisco to get 200,000 small press comics....WHO MIGHT THAT BE......

Then he states he is going to LAS VEGAS...with the truck to pick up 125,000 more from the former competitor and then off to Denver....

Who do you think is selling him 200,000 Small press comics for pennies on the dollar?? give his newsletter a read...

That is 325,000 issues and he has been buying collections like crazy, showing off a van full of barks and ec librarys from a collection in ARZ ...it is right there on his newsletter, now he selling them....check out the "sale price"

Latest newsletter gives new clues

The small press colleciton 200,000 plus books was picked up in San Jose..chuck has a picture on the website...

The las vegas collection, see photo of person waving looks like a friend of my Richie from Vegas ..anybody else see the resemblance?

pictures say a 1000 words...

That is 325,000 issues and he has been buying collections like crazy, showing off a van full of barks and ec librarys from a collection in ARZ ...it is right there on his newsletter, now he selling them....check out the "sale price"

Not everything printed is worth owning.