• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

Market dumping of a large amount of books....so buyer beware if that happens, dont think its gonna effect the GA market, nor the keys of the SA market, he has too few of those to make an impact, however the MIle high 2 collection could seriously impact the 1965/66 marvels as he could have bundles of those issues, and if they dumped like truck it is not gonna look good for you 10X guide 9.8 price with 100 of them coming in...

1. Didn't he already sell most of that off?

2. 100 books is going to damage the market? Maybe for short term, but it you think 100 books is a lot you don't understand how many books are actually printed.

Market dumping of a large amount of books....so buyer beware if that happens, dont think its gonna effect the GA market, nor the keys of the SA market, he has too few of those to make an impact, however the MIle high 2 collection could seriously impact the 1965/66 marvels as he could have bundles of those issues, and if they dumped like truck it is not gonna look good for you 10X guide 9.8 price with 100 of them coming in...

2. 100 books is going to damage the market? Maybe for short term, but it you think 100 books is a lot you don't understand how many books are actually printed.

I do not buy a lot of SA Marvels, so perhaps I too do not understand the market. It would seem to me, however, that if (as was suggested) 100 of a single Marvel SA book were to hit the market all at once and they were all graded say 9.6 to 9.8, there would be a short term significant price drop for that issue, and it would take a long time for prices to retrace their previous levels. If this were to happen on numerous issues all at the same time, I could see at least a short term panic in which flippers were trying to get out from under their books and that is when "fire sale" prices could be seen (at least in the short to mid term). Just my opinions, but then again, I am sure there are many who understand the market far better than I do.

He has not...go to Youtube and check out the video's on one of them he talks about having packages of 65/66 marvels...a lot....I remember one thor issue he had 250 copies..only a few have hit the market..he is sitting on them like 11 million other comics...he never gives away his stuff..

He has not...go to Youtube and check out the video's on one of them he talks about having packages of 65/66 marvels...a lot....I remember one thor issue he had 250 copies..only a few have hit the market..he is sitting on them like 11 million other comics...he never gives away his stuff..

He said in his Tales of the Database that he received 12,000 copies of a single issue in the Mile High 2 collection. I would think he's bound to have more than a few of those still left.

will it matter? the way he prices books so high to begin with, who will be buying those books or let them influence their decisions?

also-- I have doubts over how many 9.8 SA books he could have even if there were 12K of one issue. And with his sterling reputation of over grading everything, he would have to submit those books to CGC for anyone to take that grade at face value regardless.

will it matter? the way he prices books so high to begin with, who will be buying those books or let them influence their decisions?

also-- I have doubts over how many 9.8 SA books he could have even if there were 12K of one issue. And with his sterling reputation of over grading everything, he would have to submit those books to CGC for anyone to take that grade at face value regardless.

That's kinda my point. What's going to happen to all those overpriced and in many cases undesirable comics when Chuck is gone?

Well, while the reductions on his website may be a small step in the right direction, it's also worth noting that his BIN prices on eBay nearly always beat even the best codeword price.

It's weird - if I see a comic I want on the Mile High website, I go check eBay and can usually find Mile High selling it there more cheaply; if I see a LoneStar comic on eBay, I go to their website to pick it up and save on the fees.

Well, while the reductions on his website may be a small step in the right direction, it's also worth noting that his BIN prices on eBay nearly always beat even the best codeword price.

It's weird - if I see a comic I want on the Mile High website, I go check eBay and can usually find Mile High selling it there more cheaply; if I see a LoneStar comic on eBay, I go to their website to pick it up and save on the fees.

Hoarder and miser.

That's kinda my point. What's going to happen to all those overpriced and in many cases undesirable comics when Chuck is gone?

The back issue market will crash if his material will be dumped I would say post 80 for sure... I do not trust that his kids are gonna want to have 11 plus million books instead of a BMW... Let's say he has 5 million books nobody wants.. He still has 6. Million which will cram the marketplace. If you are spending any kind of money either investment or whatever stick to GA and then SA especially the late 50's stuff otherwise know this day is coming, buy reprints and you will not lose 90% of what you paid..and the interesting here is he has 11.4 million comics and he is going out and buying more... What is limit? And he has the power to destroy the comic book market at any time...

Edited by Mmehdy

Their eBay pricing usually has the current coupon code discount already applied.

Claims he has no money in his newest youtube video. While standing in a sea of back issues he starts talking about his latest sale on back issues. Picks up a copy of Alex Plus Ada 3 that is normally priced at $15. Wonders why he has no money on hand.

The back issue market will crash if his material will be dumped I would say post 80 for sure... I do not trust that his kids are gonna want to have 11 plus million books instead of a BMW... Let's say he has 5 million books nobody wants.. He still has 6. Million which will cram the marketplace. If you are spending any kind of money either investment or whatever stick to GA and then SA especially the late 50's stuff otherwise know this day is coming, buy reprints and you will not lose 90% of what you paid..and the interesting here is he has 11.4 million comics and he is going out and buying more... What is limit? And he has the power to destroy the comic book market at any time...

lol He isn't the market. The books will go for what the market dictates, not buy his hoarding. Prices may drop a little, all depends on who wants what. And by the sounds of it, nobody wants what he has to begin with.

All the more reason to wait buying a GSXM #1

Exactly.

I have zero faith that the majority of Chuck's stash is high-grade Silver-Bronze, even 9.2 or better.

And if the bulk of his 1965-1980 books are more like avg. 7.0, then it just reflects the market anyway. Common books are common books - his dumping all of them at once wouldn't affect the market at all.

Who cares if there are 55 raw copies of say...X-Men # 124 or Thor # 170 on the open market in 7.0-8.5 shape vs. 96 copies?

Now, if it were an additional 40 or so copies in strict 9.6 that's a different story...

Exactly.

I have zero faith that the majority of Chuck's stash is high-grade Silver-Bronze, even 9.2 or better.

And if the bulk of his 1965-1980 books are more like avg. 7.0, then it just reflects the market anyway. Common books are common books - his dumping all of them at once wouldn't affect the market at all.

Who cares if there are 55 raw copies of say...X-Men # 124 or Thor # 170 on the open market in 7.0-8.5 shape vs. 96 copies?

Now, if it were an additional 40 or so copies in strict 9.6 that's a different story...

The number of copies will effect the overall collectable market, and he does have the power to break the comic books market by selling 1,000,000 issues at 10 cents a piece and then still having at least 10.4 million comic books left..do not under estimate chuck...11.4 million books is a remarkable achievement but that is power...plain and simple...he can control the market especially 1965 marvels and up as well any recent comic bookks...He is buying competitors out left and right, he is taking over the market share of available comic books for sale, he is coming on strong now...buying agressivly.

I dont think chuck would do that BUT if the mile high collection was dumped on the market...there will be no market after the flood of comic books overwhelming the comic book market..buyer beware

Edited by Mmehdy

Exactly.

The number of copies will effect the overall collectable market, and he does have the power to break the comic books market by selling 1,000,000 issues at 10 cents a piece and then still having at least 10.4 million comic books left..do not under estimate chuck...11.4 million books is a remarkable achievement but that is power...plain and simple...he can control the market especially 1965 marvels and up as well any recent comic bookks...He is buying competitors out left and right, he is taking over the market share of available comic books for sale, he is coming on strong now...buying agressivly.

I dont think chuck would do that BUT if the mile high collection was dumped on the market...there will be no market after the flood of comic books overwhelming the comic book market..buyer beware

tin foil hat alert. have you actually looked at his inventory? it's krap. a random search: Avengers #5 cgc 4.5 asking $500, last sale $90. he doesn't have a VF copy of Avengers listed until #34 and that's priced at 2x guide, probably overpriced by 3x if you could rely on his grading (which you can't). moderns: doesn't have an issue of TWD before #25 listed on his site. he'd probably have to pay someone to take 1/2 this krap away.

Timely topic that made me do some investigating to cut through the hyperbole. Today a new Youtube video from Chuck.

It's kind of funny given what Chuck says in the video (and the person apparently jump roping in the background). Chuck says they have no money and its led him to slash prices on all his moderns and lower grade bronze and older. Sadly from my research it's clear that, while on the right track, he's still over priced. As far as whether he is sitting on a hoard of high grade silver and early bronze. Put me in the disbelieve camp. In Tales from the Database written in 2003 he said he had 200k of the mile high 2 books left. Paying for his stores and all those employees for the last 13 years probably has already taken a big bite out of that.