• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC report in regards to GA only

123 posts in this topic

I attended NYCC Thursday and Friday, and thought I would share my observations in regards to main stream golden age superhero books. These are my opinions and you may agree or disagree.

First observation: many dealers I had seen in years prior were not in attendance. Notable ones who were not there included: Stephen Ritter, Terry's Comics, Gary Dolgoff, Bedrock Comics, Dave Reynolds and Motor City Comics.

The overall numbers of dealers of older books seemed to be much less than years before.

Second Observation: some amazing books are coming to auction! Between Heritage, Comiclink, and Comic Connect, they all had some stellar books on display. It was nice to see the Larson Batman 1, the 9.0 Wonder Woman 1.

Third Obersvation: All Star 8 anyone? There were about a dozen copies at the show. Some were for auction only, some were direct sale. The lowest graded was a 1.8 with brittle pages. With everyone selling, are we due for a correction? Most dealers will say otherwise.

Fourth Observation: Prices on most books that I looked at were well above GPA. On major keys in some cases no price was listed and they were marked "Offer". Anything with a popular cover or mainstream title was priced above GPA.

Coolest books I saw: A conserved Action 1 at Mike Carbonaro's Booth. There were two copies of Detective 27 that I saw. A 5.0 Blue with Metropolis and a 8.5 (EP) at Filter's booth. Gator had a gorgeous copy of More Fun 52 in 9.2 (or 9.0?). Bob Storms had a Detective 29 and 31. Metro had a restored copy of Detective 31, not sure if it was for auction or direct sale. About 6 copies of Superman 1. Ranging from a 2.0 to a few extensively restored copies.

Books I didn't see: I don't recall seeing any copies of Captain America 1. All in strong hands?

I didn't buy any GA at the show. As a wise dealer told me, auctions have become the "wholesale" for dealers. And with so many great books coming up in the next few months, it will be better for me to wait and try there.

Thanks for reading,

Ankur

Third Obersvation: All Star 8 anyone? There were about a dozen copies at the show. Some were for auction only, some were direct sale. The lowest graded was a 1.8 with brittle pages. With everyone selling, are we due for a correction? Most dealers will say otherwise.

I would ONLY buy that book at auction.

Bob Storms Tec 29 and 31 are Filter's. 5.0 and 1.0 respectively. Metro's restored 31 8.5 is not up for auction but offered on Metro/CC sites. If I'm not mistaken it belongs to someone from the UK.

Great report,

With the three big auction houses shilling there wares every other month, less and less dealers seem to go to shows, to avoid the high fees, and "movie poster" crowds, that don't buy or collect older comics, more and more.

to boot many show reports I read, are high on "artist signed pieces" and dumpster diving 1$ boxes, and "dealers asking prices as sky high" not the best news to here, if your a seller, BTW, if you don't like the high ask prices, MAKE AN OFFER! all they can do is smile and counter, end of rant, thank you

Futhermore, I recall two boardies, complaining on another thread, about not enough GA SA at a show, and trying to convince other dealers to do the show next year etc,

The same boardies I know, attended both shows, and left with NO PURCHASES AT ALL, so reading between the lines, "lets have more dealers spend the time and money to set up, so we can look around, kick the tires, complain about not enough to look at, prices to high, etc and not buy anything"

and leave!

sorry end of rant,

B

Bunky I understand what you're saying. But its hard to make an offer when you are so far apart on prices.

On another note, Rich Muchin had a large selection of both raw and graded books. The graded books were not CGC.

Books I didn't see: I don't recall seeing any copies of Captain America 1. All in strong hands?

ComicLink has a 2.5 blue on the exchange.

The report is regarding NYCC only, not what's for sale online (thumbs u

My mistake (thumbs u

My mistake (thumbs u

Dacardworld had a restored Cap 1. A 7.5, iirc, but I can't remember the degree of resto.

Futhermore, I recall two boardies, complaining on another thread, about not enough GA SA at a show, and trying to convince other dealers to do the show next year etc,

The same boardies I know, attended both shows, and left with NO PURCHASES AT ALL, so reading between the lines, "lets have more dealers spend the time and money to set up, so we can look around, kick the tires, complain about not enough to look at, prices to high, etc and not buy anything"

and leave!

sorry end of rant,

B

I bought books from Storms, Harley, Verzyl, and Basement. :sumo:

Looking at Doc Joe's thread, I saw quite a few books that I'd be interested in..... several in particular at Dale's booth..... granted, these were 2-300 dollar books. If all one is interested in is the best of the best, prices for that material has been escalating for years..... you just can't approach it with a "used car" mentality. It likely costs these dealers more money to set up at NYCC for a weekend than I've spent in an entire year on books.... they just can't entire into it without substantial profit factored in. Some of those big ticket books may basically be just advertising-based "jaw droppers"...... if you want to make a splash on Main Street, you need to put up the Big Boy statue if you want to sell those burgers and strawberry shortcakes (shrug) ..... I don't want this to sound insulting, but if one finds they are getting jaded with the prices, maybe dial it back a few notches and rediscover what attracted you in the first place.....with books at prices that are more disposable in nature. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Looking at Doc Joe's thread, I saw quite a few books that I'd be interested in..... several in particular at Dale's booth..... granted, these were 2-300 dollar books. If all one is interested in is the best of the best, prices for this material has been escalating for years..... you just can't approach it with a "used car" mentality. It likely costs these dealers more money to set up at NYCC for a weekend than I've spent in an entire year on books.... they just can't entire into it without substantial profit factored in. Some of those big ticket books may basically be advertising based "jaw droppers"...... if you want to make a splash on Main Street, you have to put up the Big Boy statue if you want to sell those burgers and strawberry shortcakes (shrug) ..... I don't want this to sound insulting, but if one finds they are getting jaded with the prices, maybe dial it back a few notches and rediscover what attracted you in the first place..... at prices that are more disposable in nature. GOD BLESS....

Dealers are certainly thinner on the ground than they used to be and NYCC is much more a pop culture carnival than a comic con of the sort we used to know. But there were a lot of boxes of raw SA and GA books around. Mid-grade copies of non-keys that are great for filling holes or reading.

To my mind, a sufficient number of dealers continue to turn up to make it possible to come away with a nice pile of books without breaking the bank -- although bank breakers were also available!

Still something to be said for laying down your money and being able to bring your books home with you. :D

...so true. When the book gets to the point where I have to invest significant time for research and data analysis, it's probably starting to get beyond my comfort zone as a hobby. I've got a couple of stacks of books that I absolutely love..... none are even remotely investment material. I had to rediscover that kind of approach..... I was really getting burnt out on some aspects of it. GOD BLESS...

Any restored ones? What were the asking prices?