• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC report in regards to GA only

123 posts in this topic

Still something to be said for laying down your money and being able to bring your books home with you. :D

Yes, but do dealers still let you take the books home first and then send them the money afterwards like the good old days? :headbang:

Great report,

With the three big auction houses shilling there wares every other month, less and less dealers seem to go to shows, to avoid the high fees, and "movie poster" crowds, that don't buy or collect older comics, more and more.

to boot many show reports I read, are high on "artist signed pieces" and dumpster diving 1$ boxes, and "dealers asking prices as sky high" not the best news to here, if your a seller, BTW, if you don't like the high ask prices, MAKE AN OFFER! all they can do is smile and counter, end of rant, thank you

Most shows are all Sellers above GPA and or Just showing off their Auctions with Baited Low Estemited Prices to suck you in. I am PO and would spend around 10k if Auction houses would let me buy at there Estimeted Prices. I have been sitting up at shows for over 30 Years. It is just stupid now for buyers.

Third Obersvation: All Star 8 anyone? There were about a dozen copies at the show. Some were for auction only, some were direct sale. The lowest graded was a 1.8 with brittle pages. With everyone selling, are we due for a correction? Most dealers will say otherwise.

Thanks for reading,

Ankur

Just curious, do you (or anyone else reading attending the show) remember who had any of the all star 8s? (unrestored, non-brittle pages, not via auction house) I can't get away from the booth much so haven't been able to make it to too many other dealer booths and wouldn't mind picking one up if there's one in the room at a semi-reasonable price. (If any were priced semi-reasonable)

Thanks!

Third Obersvation: All Star 8 anyone? There were about a dozen copies at the show. Some were for auction only, some were direct sale. The lowest graded was a 1.8 with brittle pages. With everyone selling, are we due for a correction? Most dealers will say otherwise.

Thanks for reading,

Ankur

Just curious, do you (or anyone else reading attending the show) remember who had any of the all star 8s? (unrestored, non-brittle pages, not via auction house) I can't get away from the booth much so haven't been able to make it to too many other dealer booths and wouldn't mind picking one up if there's one in the room at a semi-reasonable price. (If any were priced semi-reasonable)

Thanks!

Cloud 9 with a 5.0 ....

Great report,

With the three big auction houses shilling there wares every other month, less and less dealers seem to go to shows, to avoid the high fees, and "movie poster" crowds, that don't buy or collect older comics, more and more.

to boot many show reports I read, are high on "artist signed pieces" and dumpster diving 1$ boxes, and "dealers asking prices as sky high" not the best news to here, if your a seller, BTW, if you don't like the high ask prices, MAKE AN OFFER! all they can do is smile and counter, end of rant, thank you

Brian,

I agree with you that shows now have a lot of stuff that I am not interested in. I don't collect movie posters or books from the $1 bin, however, I accept that others do and respect that.

My problem with shows (as I have stated before), is that I do not like to negotiate. I don't want to stand there and go back and forth with a dealer like I am in a used car lot.

I know this is NEVER going to happen, but I really wish dealers would just take their books, add what they feel is a fair profit margin, and then price it at that. What is on the sticker is what you pay. PERIOD.

I don't know how many times I have looked at a book at a show and thought, "I like this book, but this is a little high", and then put the book back wondering if the dealer would have accepted a slightly lower price.

There are also those times when I have looked at a book and thought the dealer was either 1) out of his mind OR 2) gone to the Mile High school on pricing. In those instances, I just walk away from the table and don't give it a second thought.

These latter times do not bother me, however, when the price is only slightly above what I am willing to pay, then I go home disappointed.

Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor or dealers making a profit. I want them to make a profit. That keeps them in business and keeps them bringing me books I might not see otherwise.

*note - Please don't anyone take this as a shot against Brian. The last time I purchased a book from him, the "negotiation" was simple. He offered me the book. I told him what I was willing to pay. He accepted. I paid. He gave me the book. Very smooth transaction. (thumbs u

Great report,

Brian,

I agree with you that shows now have a lot of stuff that I am not interested in. I don't collect movie posters or books from the $1 bin, however, I accept that others do and respect that.

My problem with shows (as I have stated before), is that I do not like to negotiate. I don't want to stand there and go back and forth with a dealer like I am in a used car lot.

I know this is NEVER going to happen, but I really wish dealers would just take their books, add what they feel is a fair profit margin, and then price it at that. What is on the sticker is what you pay. PERIOD.

I don't know how many times I have looked at a book at a show and thought, "I like this book, but this is a little high", and then put the book back wondering if the dealer would have accepted a slightly lower price.

There are also those times when I have looked at a book and thought the dealer was either 1) out of his mind OR 2) gone to the Mile High school on pricing. In those instances, I just walk away from the table and don't give it a second thought.

These latter times do not bother me, however, when the price is only slightly above what I am willing to pay, then I go home disappointed.

Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor or dealers making a profit. I want them to make a profit. That keeps them in business and keeps them bringing me books I might not see otherwise.

*note - Please don't anyone take this as a shot against Brian. The last time I purchased a book from him, the "negotiation" was simple. He offered me the book. I told him what I was willing to pay. He accepted. I paid. He gave me the book. Very smooth transaction. (thumbs u

When i first ran into Brian at a show ! Man he was a talker :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Hi Brian :headbang:

Great report,

Brian,

When i first ran into Brian at a show ! Man he was a talker :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Hi Brian :headbang:

Me? I could not get in a word, with Mr Woo Woo, ranting on and on and on , about the good ole daye, Jeeesh :baiting:

To Mr Hudson, yes, sometimes I like to put up the ask price, and that's that, sure enough the next buyer, is a real grinder, that just has to "win"

I agree a seller can ask what he wants, and a buyer can choose to offer, or pass on by, but the cavilier attitude some people have that its so easy, and inexpensive to set up at a major show, "why don't you all bring more stfuff for me to look at, and not buy, but show to my kids what I used to own, etc, spend money on the hottest movie poster of the time, is getting old, and tiring,

I guess easier to stay home and send out your HTML list to prospective buyers.

(shrug)

Great report,

Brian,

Me? I could not get in a word, with Mr Woo Woo, ranting on and on and on , about the good ole daye, Jeeesh :baiting:

To Mr Hudson, yes, sometimes I like to put up the ask price, and that's that, sure enough the next buyer, is a real grinder, that just has to "win"

I agree a seller can ask what he wants, and a buyer can choose to offer, or pass on by, but the cavilier attitude some people have that its so easy, and inexpensive to set up at a major show, "why don't you all bring more stfuff for me to look at, and not buy, but show to my kids what I used to own, etc, spend money on the hottest movie poster of the time, is getting old, and tiring,

I guess easier to stay home and send out your HTML list to prospective buyers.

(shrug)

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9::acclaim: :acclaim: :acclaim:

I found a few books......

IMG_8821_zpsgqpyk3mp.jpg

Was that one of the copies of Terrific 5 that Gator had?

Congrats on two awesome books.

Yep...G.A.tor hooked me up!!

R those G.A.tors books in the back :o

I found a few books......

IMG_8821_zpsgqpyk3mp.jpg

Was that one of the copies of Terrific 5 that Gator had?

Congrats on two awesome books.

Yep...G.A.tor hooked me up!!

R those G.A.tors books in the back :o

Yes...and there was a stash of others that weren't up!!! The booth was his and Adam's ...maybe they were Adam's....I'm now not sure which were who's...