• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC report in regards to GA only

123 posts in this topic

I like to find the smaller very motivated individual sellers at a con. There is always at least one guy stuck over with the toys and t-shirts who is having a bad day and has a few nice books. Almost every show I find that guy and walk off with something great. Just gotta walk the floor and look hard for that deal.

What the dealers are saying is that everyone's trying to vulture a deal, and no one's paying full price for anything. A good deal is fun, but it doesn't lend itself to the continued health of the seller.

I wouldn't say people are not paying market values. Many do.

It just seems that some people's idea of 'fair' means they get it all and the dealer gets none.

For example, I find some people's trade offers are unrealistic.

I was once offered a stack of about 30 or 40 modern / copper / bronze books in exchange for an ASM #129 CGC 9.6 a while back. I passed for obvious reasons, the greatest being I didn't feel like selling 40 hard to sell books to pay for one that would sell reasonably quickly anyway. And while this trade is on the extreme side I'm constantly being offered harder to sell books for books that I have no problem selling.

The other thing about trades is that they are often valued unrealistically where the potential buyer has their trade book valued at single (or last) highest GPA but wants to pay either a GPA average or below for my book. Not sure how they think that is good for business but it's certainly both unrealistic and unfair and it happens often enough that it's worth mentioning.

Finally, as you guys have read above in this thread, you get the low ball offers on keys where the buyer feels entitled to the dealer's profit.

The above instances happen much more often than dealers actually post about.

I am not sure why buyers will not go up to dealers when they are looking for a certain book and tell me that they were quoted $xxxx for the same title/grade. It is the same as retail stores that advertise that they will beat any advertised price. Now of course a buyer can make the price up but if it was ridiculous I would send them back and tell them they are getting a good deal. Which when some buyers have asked me I have done. If you liked my copy, could get a better deal and I could beat it wouldn't that be advantageous to both of us?

I had a buyer who offered all trade to me do a deal with a dealer directly across from me.

What I didn't understand was why the dealer did it until I realized that the book he traded was a 1/2 grade lower then the book this customer wanted. At that grade the deal made sense but for me it didn't.

I'm not sure annoyed is the right word either.

Disappointed? Disgusted? Vexed? Flummoxed? Incredulous? Fatigued? Bewildered? Flabbergasted? Fed up? Cynical? Bored? Exhausted? Jaundiced? Tired? Disillusioned? Disenchanted? Upset? Saddened? Frustrated? Thwarted? Let down? Angry? Provoked? Irritated? Displeased? Cross? Aggravated? Exasperated? Irked? Enchanted? Enraptured? Embalmed? hm

The other thing about trades is that they are often valued unrealistically...

A common situation for collectors I would presume is that they overpaid for the book(s) via Dealer A, so when they offer the books to Dealer B the trade value is inflated. This of course doesn't work for Dealer B (and is not his problem).

A certain dealer now has a pedigree book I really want. He CGC'd and it came back trimmed. His asking price stayed the same, and when I asked why his reply was that was how much he wanted for it. No thanks.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and move on.

I seldom expect a dealer to lose money on a sale to me, but I do my best to get the book for as little as possible. I'm not rich, so it's part of the game, and the more I save, the more I can buy. In the past there have been a few situations where a dealer I knew had a book I really wanted, but they hadn't been able to sell it to anyone else, so they would give me the book at their cost (so they said). I really appreciated those offers, whether the book was at their cost or not, it was still well below guide and affordable for me.

I think collectors should just be honest with the dealers and state how much they can afford and ask for the best deal. If it doesn't happen, just move on...

]I am not sure why buyers will not go up to dealers when they are looking for a certain book and tell me that they were quoted $xxxx for the same title/grade.[/b] It is the same as retail stores that advertise that they will beat any advertised price. Now of course a buyer can make the price up but if it was ridiculous I would send them back and tell them they are getting a good deal. Which when some buyers have asked me I have done. If you liked my copy, could get a better deal and I could beat it wouldn't that be advantageous to both of us?

This may work for moderns, bronze, and perhaps even silver. This thread, however, is for GA. Maybe I am off base, but even if I were willing to do this (which I am not), I don't think it is likely that two dealers, at the same show, would have the same GA book in the same condition, very often. Perhaps, there are some more common GA books in which this is possible, however, I feel lucky to find just ONE copy of a book I am looking for at a show. Finding 2 in the same grade and at the same show, is probably about as likely as me hitting the lottery.

I believe in being 'FAIR"

I only buy from dealers who are at least VG. :sumo:

You have a fine sense of humour.

Thanks. If Bedrock were here, I'm sure he'd offer you a mint.

nah. He's too poor.

I thought his business was good?

Great sample question to give to my 3rd grader . . .

"I had a buyer who offered all trade to me do a deal with a dealer directly across from me."

Is this a run-on sentence?

He nailed it without hesitation.

Seriously, I'm glad I'm a collector and not a dealer.

REALLY hard business to make a buck in.

A certain dealer now has a pedigree book I really want. He CGC'd and it came back trimmed. His asking price stayed the same, and when I asked why his reply was that was how much he wanted for it. No thanks.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there's a dealer out there who's that narcissistic. I'm curious to know who it is, but I can't blame you for not wanting to name the guy and create friction. (Am I allowed to guess? If I am, I'll guess Eide's.)

nah. He's too poor.

Yes, but it's incomplete. Mind you, it has huge potential for growth and will soon be very fine indeed. He has a tight, sharp, supple business model with great eye appeal. Of course others might grade it differently, but if I were in Church I'd swear it had mile high potential.

nah. He's too poor.

Yes, but it's incomplete. Mind you, it has huge potential for growth and will soon be very fine indeed. He has a tight, sharp, supple business model with great eye appeal. Of course others might grade it differently, but if I were in Church I'd swear it had mile high potential.

^^

nah. He's too poor.

:signfunny: