• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC report in regards to GA only

123 posts in this topic

I attended NYCC Thursday and Friday, and thought I would share my observations in regards to main stream golden age superhero books. These are my opinions and you may agree or disagree.

First observation: many dealers I had seen in years prior were not in attendance. Notable ones who were not there included: Stephen Ritter, Terry's Comics, Gary Dolgoff, Bedrock Comics, Dave Reynolds.

The overall numbers of dealers of older books seemed to be much less than years before.

Second Observation: some amazing books are coming to auction! Between Heritage, Comiclink, and Comic Connect, they all had some stellar books on display. It was nice to see the Larson Batman 1, the 9.0 Wonder Woman 1.

Third Obersvation: All Star 8 anyone? There were about a dozen copies at the show. Some were for auction only, some were direct sale. The lowest graded was a 1.8 with brittle pages. With everyone selling, are we due for a correction? Most dealers will say otherwise.

Fourth Observation: Prices on most books that I looked at were well above GPA. On major keys in some cases no price was listed and they were marked "Offer". Anything with a popular cover or mainstream title was priced above GPA.

Coolest books I saw: A conserved Action 1 at Mike Carbonaro's Booth. There were two copies of Detective 27 that I saw. A 5.0 Blue with Metropolis and a 8.5 (EP) at Filter's booth. Gator had a gorgeous copy of More Fun 52 in 9.2 (or 9.0?). Bob Storms had a Detective 29 and 31. Metro had a restored copy of Detective 31, not sure if it was for auction or direct sale. About 6 copies of Superman 1. Ranging from a 2.0 to a few extensively restored copies.

Books I didn't see: I don't recall seeing any copies of Captain America 1. All in strong hands?

I didn't buy any GA at the show. As a wise dealer told me, auctions have become the "wholesale" for dealers. And with so many great books coming up in the next few months, it will be better for me to wait and try there.

Thanks for reading,

Ankur

I too went on Thursday and Friday and spent a total of 7 hours at the "Con" between the 2 days. On Friday I marveled a bit at Dan Gallo's copy of the Marvel 1. He was asking $120K. Unfortunately and only today after the fact, I've realized that my shot of his Batman 1 9.2 was soft... oops - all that is in focus is the small snippet attached to this photo... Anyhow, thanks for the observations...

IMG_8822_zpsytxcjzct.jpg

Thanks for the report. I still enjoy going to cons for the immersion in comic collecting, and I like buying cheap comics to fill runs, getting deals on statutes, and the inexpensive books. But I've learned the last few years the best source of keys is the internet.

I found a few books......

IMG_8821_zpsgqpyk3mp.jpg

Was that one of the copies of Terrific 5 that Gator had?

Congrats on two awesome books.

Yep...G.A.tor hooked me up!!

R those G.A.tors books in the back :o

Obviously the MMC and Terrific were Gator's. (GREAT pick-ups BTW) The books on that particular wall were ours. (We set up on that wall and Gator set up on the wall to the right) Adventure 40 6.5 sold at the show, 4.0 is priced @ $19k.

Thanks for the report. I still enjoy going to cons for the immersion in comic collecting, and I like buying cheap comics to fill runs, getting deals on statutes, and the inexpensive books. But I've learned the last few years the best source of keys is the internet.

Agreed! Though it's always good to meet dealers and auction house people in charge of comics. A good impression can go a long way if you need assistance one day.

I love going for the art as well.

Great report,

With the three big auction houses shilling there wares every other month, less and less dealers seem to go to shows, to avoid the high fees, and "movie poster" crowds, that don't buy or collect older comics, more and more.

to boot many show reports I read, are high on "artist signed pieces" and dumpster diving 1$ boxes, and "dealers asking prices as sky high" not the best news to here, if your a seller, BTW, if you don't like the high ask prices, MAKE AN OFFER! all they can do is smile and counter, end of rant, thank you

Brian,

I agree with you that shows now have a lot of stuff that I am not interested in. I don't collect movie posters or books from the $1 bin, however, I accept that others do and respect that.

My problem with shows (as I have stated before), is that I do not like to negotiate. I don't want to stand there and go back and forth with a dealer like I am in a used car lot.

I know this is NEVER going to happen, but I really wish dealers would just take their books, add what they feel is a fair profit margin, and then price it at that. What is on the sticker is what you pay. PERIOD.

I don't know how many times I have looked at a book at a show and thought, "I like this book, but this is a little high", and then put the book back wondering if the dealer would have accepted a slightly lower price.

There are also those times when I have looked at a book and thought the dealer was either 1) out of his mind OR 2) gone to the Mile High school on pricing. In those instances, I just walk away from the table and don't give it a second thought.

These latter times do not bother me, however, when the price is only slightly above what I am willing to pay, then I go home disappointed.

Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor or dealers making a profit. I want them to make a profit. That keeps them in business and keeps them bringing me books I might not see otherwise.

*note - Please don't anyone take this as a shot against Brian. The last time I purchased a book from him, the "negotiation" was simple. He offered me the book. I told him what I was willing to pay. He accepted. I paid. He gave me the book. Very smooth transaction. (thumbs u

Just point to a book or 2 you want and say "I don't like negotiating, but is this the best you can do with cash? (or whatever payment)" If they don't offer it lower say "Thanks" and walk. Since you are already used to walking away from the books you would get some great deals. Problem is if you don't say anything, they have no idea you even wanted it. They want your business, and if they're any good they'll adapt to your style.

Great report,

With the three big auction houses shilling there wares every other month, less and less dealers seem to go to shows, to avoid the high fees, and "movie poster" crowds, that don't buy or collect older comics, more and more.

to boot many show reports I read, are high on "artist signed pieces" and dumpster diving 1$ boxes, and "dealers asking prices as sky high" not the best news to here, if your a seller, BTW, if you don't like the high ask prices, MAKE AN OFFER! all they can do is smile and counter, end of rant, thank you

Brian,

I agree with you that shows now have a lot of stuff that I am not interested in. I don't collect movie posters or books from the $1 bin, however, I accept that others do and respect that.

My problem with shows (as I have stated before), is that I do not like to negotiate. I don't want to stand there and go back and forth with a dealer like I am in a used car lot.

I know this is NEVER going to happen, but I really wish dealers would just take their books, add what they feel is a fair profit margin, and then price it at that. What is on the sticker is what you pay. PERIOD.

I don't know how many times I have looked at a book at a show and thought, "I like this book, but this is a little high", and then put the book back wondering if the dealer would have accepted a slightly lower price.

There are also those times when I have looked at a book and thought the dealer was either 1) out of his mind OR 2) gone to the Mile High school on pricing. In those instances, I just walk away from the table and don't give it a second thought.

These latter times do not bother me, however, when the price is only slightly above what I am willing to pay, then I go home disappointed.

Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor or dealers making a profit. I want them to make a profit. That keeps them in business and keeps them bringing me books I might not see otherwise.

*note - Please don't anyone take this as a shot against Brian. The last time I purchased a book from him, the "negotiation" was simple. He offered me the book. I told him what I was willing to pay. He accepted. I paid. He gave me the book. Very smooth transaction. (thumbs u

Just point to a book or 2 you want and say "I don't like negotiating, but is this the best you can do with cash? (or whatever payment)" If they don't offer it lower say "Thanks" and walk. Since you are already used to walking away from the books you would get some great deals. Problem is if you don't say anything, they have no idea you even wanted it. They want your business, and if they're any good they'll adapt to your style.

I agree and i think your the exception rather then the norm. Most people want to beatbup a dealer of price, so if i put my bottom price on a book and someone wanted a discount i wouldnt be able to give it. I think this would turn away far more people.

That being said on anything over say $200 i can likely give you something off assuming you ask...

James G

Great report,

Brian,

I agree and i think your the exception rather then the norm. Most people want to beatbup a dealer of price, so if i put my bottom price on a book and someone wanted a discount i wouldnt be able to give it. I think this would turn away far more people.

That being said on anything over say $200 i can likely give you something off assuming you ask...

James G

At times, I have contacted a dealer after a convention and asked it they still had a book or book(s) I was interested in, and then made a deal via the internet.

In fact, I purchased a dozen nice books off one convention favorite about two weeks ago (via the internet). I told him what I would pay for all 12 books in total and apparently he thought it was fair as there was no "negotiation" past my offer. He accepted and I sent the money (via PP) a few minutes later.

I understand why dealers have to mark up the books in expectation of the buyer who wants to "think they win" by getting some discount. I just wish it were not that way.

I don't understand buyers who think dealers should not make a profit. That is how they make a living. That is how they feed their family. That is how they pay to set up at conventions and bring you all those beautiful books. That is the free market system and I am all for it.

I don't want a seller to make ALL his profit on me, but a reasonable mark up is a good thing and I want a happy seller. I want a seller who wants to contact me the next time he has something in stock that he knows I am looking for BEFORE he puts it out for sale at the next show. A seller who makes very little off me is not likely to be happy and unlikely he will want to take the extra effort to contact me when he finds that book I have been searching for.

I guess we are all different. I am not upset with the sellers who price things expecting to negotiate, I am just disappointed that I often walk away without the book because I don't enjoy negotiating.

Bunky I understand what you're saying. But its hard to make an offer when you are so far apart on prices.

On another note, Rich Muchin had a large selection of both raw and graded books. The graded books were not CGC.

In my view, and in my experience, the whole "above GPA" thing is getting tiresome.

GPA represents a VERY SMALL percentage of the total comic book sales worldwide. SO what does it matter if a book is priced over GPA??

Heavens, most dealers have to pay GPA or higher just to replace keys into their inventory, and so they are supposed to take losses simply because one small sample of the hobby's sales says their prices are too high?

The market is much more broad than that folks. Shattering GPA highs happen quite frequently at comic shows weekend after weekend, in comic shops all over the country and on privately owned comic websites that never get reported to GPA

Bunky I understand what you're saying. But its hard to make an offer when you are so far apart on prices.

On another note, Rich Muchin had a large selection of both raw and graded books. The graded books were not CGC.

In my view, and in my experience, the whole "above GPA" thing is getting tiresome.

GPA represents a VERY SMALL percentage of the total comic book sales worldwide. SO what does it matter if a book is priced over GPA??

Heavens, most dealers have to pay GPA or higher just to replace keys into their inventory, and so they are supposed to take losses simply because one small sample of the hobby's sales says their prices are too high?

The market is much more broad than that folks. Shattering GPA highs happen quite frequently at comic shows weekend after weekend, in comic shops all over the country and on privately owned comic websites that never get reported to GPA

:golfclap:

....Sometimes we just have to Mannup .....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:golfclap:

....Sometimes we just have to Mannup .....GOD BLESS...

+1, it is amazing how many people think GPA is the book buying bible. It has only a fraction of the actual sales data.

Devil's advocate here... if everyone knows the going rate, and there are other comparable copies out there, whose fault is it that a dealer overpays for a book, just so he can say he has one?

In the last few years the con price of keys has always been more than buy it nows on ebay or auction houses. I'm not sure what they expect when that happens.

:gossip: ....while the Key may not sell for the price, trades often occur.... which is a dynamic that eBay and Auction Houses lack. GOD BLESS...

...there are still a few books I'd gladly "overpay" for..... but I keep getting outbid :boo:

In the last few years the con price of keys has always been more than buy it nows on ebay or auction houses. I'm not sure what they expect when that happens.

Well yeah. They are getting squeezed out. People are going to shop where they are happiest and a large part of that (not all) is going to be price. If the dealer model isn't competitive anymore well, then that's why we see less dealers. I wish it wasn't so as Inliked it in the old days. But it also has to be said that in the old days it was a lot harder to find the books you wanted and we have 24/7 convenience on that now, which we were definitely lacking before.

But this focussed on the end buyer. Where it really falls apart these days is that a collector cashing out has sooo many alternatives. If I can consign a 2k book to clink and have them deal with all the hassle in exchange for just 10% why would I sell on eBay or to a dealer.

And if the dealer can't buy cheaper than auction he has to price above auction and the whole model falls apart