• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

Now I know why you always liked Whiz #22. Great memory! I remember my Grandmother buying me comics also. I remember back in the 1960's staying overnight at her house . She bought me Spider man # 49 and Fantasic Four # 63 , great memories. Action Comics # 1, the first one you bought.WOW!! (worship) What a way to start!!

Not earth shaking to most of you but...

This is mine as near as I can remember. My dad took me to Cherokee Books in Hollywood in 1964. I had been collecting MAD magazines but never saw a comic book one. This (as was were many other old comics) thumb tacked in a cleaners bag to the stair way leading upstairs. Paid Bert Blum $2.00 for it. It just blew my mind. My dad was a little pissed because I spent so much on a single book but I didn't care. I had never spent more than cover price on any comic up until then.

This exact copy and I clearly remember the experience to this day...

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

I know I've shown this many times before, but there maybe some out there that

haven't seen it yet...bought off the newsstand in Philadelphia in 1942.

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

BATMAN 68 that my Mom found at a thrift shop...... my first calculated purchase of GA was a decent mid grade National 13 @ $250 .....and I became an instant Lou Fine devotee :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

I think you beat us all MM just amazing that you kept them all those years!

Love the Sliverage but nothing like the Gold my first book many moons ago and still have it.

Amazing Man 11

102_5446_zps4o0r63ff.jpg

Dang Jack! What an amazing first book! I didn't even know what a Centaur was when I entered into the GA market. Were you already familiar with Everett's work when you laid eyes on that cover?

I knew Everett's work from the Silverage and Centaurs had alway's caught my interest.I just love the crude art and like the idea that they are not common like most from that age.Love going in to a convention and maybe seeing one or two Centaurs in the whole place that is what i call scarce!

mm

I think you beat us all MM just amazing that you kept them all those years!

Agreed that's AWESOME!!

The first GA book(s) I remember buying were Action Comics #17 and #18 (purchased the same day from a LCS). At the time, I don't think I owned a single Action under #200. I still have these two books and needless to say, I have added many more since that time.