• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

I posted my MAD #9 a while back. Might be considered actually "Atomic Age" but it was the oldest comic I ever bought up until that time. The first comic I paid more than cover price for.

This book might actually for my first GA purchase. I bought it at a used book store called the "Book Nook". Mostly books and old magazines but the guy had a few boxes up in front with comics of no real significance. One day while browsing, I saw the corver of this poking out of a pile of old B/W Life magazines. I slid it out and about wet my pants. Neatly written inside was the price of $3.00 in pencil. I also pulled out a couple very early Disneys out of the stack and a Timely that I think was a single digit Human Torch.

I took them up to the old man and mixed in a few 10 cent books from the junk box. He was ringing them up and stopped at the GA books asking me where I got them. I said I found them laying around. He noted that they were not 10 cents and I pointed out the prices inside. I said I was willing to pay that for them. He reluctantly agreed to sell them. I then realized I only had $7.00 on me so I just bought the Supe and Torch. Out I went with the two oldest books I had ever seen.

The Torch is long gone but I kept the Supe even having this autograph written on it at an early San Diego Con. Always ment to have Shuster sign to the left but sadly it never got done. So, here is my first truly GA comic.

comsuperman9_zpsabnc9hz3.jpg

:applause::headbang:^^

As a kid in the 70s the only time I got comics was when I was sick my mom would pick me up one or two at the drugstore- Usually Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker and such. I mostly read Peanuts stuff. As a kid my main collecting hobby was coins because my grandfather got me into it when he gave me his complete run of Mercury dimes. I loved seeking the indian head nickels out and looking for better strikes, etc. They were all stolen from my home when I bragged about my coin collection in 6th grade. :facepalm:

I got into comics very late (I was 21 and it was 1990) and the next thing I knew I was running a 2500 square foot store in a strip mall and buying collections and doing shows. Bought plenty of GA comics then but honestly cannot remember what because they would come and go and for whatever reason I did not appreciate them at the time. I was mainly interested in comics because of the art, the collectible side and the commerce.

The first golden age comic I bought though that really hooked me on them was somewhere around 10 years ago and I sadly sold it (wish I had that copy back). It was around 2006 and I had some spare cash and saw this on eBay and it caught my eye. I think this set the stage for what would be my current comic collecting interest.

NWFp60ih.jpg

PL18. Great book to get you started, Rick, and I know it is still one of your favorites.

Like Robotman, my first old comics from the 50s were Mad's. There never was a first GA book for me, there were TWO firsts on the same visit when I bought the Mad's. Each was $3 at Cherokee Book Shop in 1966. I still have them, in fact, I still have all the comics and Mad's I bought from Cherokee:

1znx2xx.jpg

10mpfrs.jpg

#30 was in such bad shape when I got it that I had it restored in the early 90s. I remember my dad's words when I brought home those two Superman's and showed him the #30. He said, "You paid $3 for THAT?" He wasn't a collector, but it does seem really strange that we didn't pay more attention to condition in those days. It was all so new and different, just to own something we'd never seen before was the important thing.

I started out with silverage Spiderman hulk FF fantasy 15 DD all of them from #1 on up.

When i got the Action 10 they all went just so i could visit E Gerber and get my Tec 27.

Bat 1 was the cheap key book to get for many years that book was cheap cheap.

I now had 20 Goldenage and NO Marvels. Back when it was $2 an hour you had to keep trading to get more books so i only kept the Tec 1 and 27 and Batman 1 Action 15 O and that cheap old Action 13 with the chunk out of back cover and few Pre Bat Tecs that i could not throw in on any trade back then.

The cover was beyond anything else and I had never really heard of the title. "Who was the cover artist, I really liked their style?", I thought. I went for it and bought the book. Since then I now have about 20 books in the run and an additional 6-7 covers in other titles by the cover artist.

My first GA book is Planet Comics 25 , Dan Zolnerowich cover

image_zpscwifptg7.jpg

The girl is very nicely drawn indeed!

(thumbs u

Got this one at a show in Boston, one of the old ones that they used to have in the Raddison (that's not even there anymore). Not too sure when, likely around 2002....

14aeq8l.jpg

Love the girl!

:luhv:

Who did the cover?

???

The first GA comics I owned were my Dad's childhood collection of late 40s to early 50s comics.

The first GA comic I actually bought was when I was about 15, a copy of Captain America 76 ("Captain America Commie Smasher!").

Got this one at a show in Boston, one of the old ones that they used to have in the Raddison (that's not even there anymore). Not too sure when, likely around 2002....

14aeq8l.jpg

Love the girl!

:luhv:

Who did the cover?

???

Who did the cover? Seriously Hep? L. B. Cole...his name is right under her butt... lol

But Hep might not have noticed the sig. lol

Not long after I started collecting in the late 90's I noticed that the local comic book shops did not often have the "good stuff". For me this was early Silver Age or earlier. If by chance a comic shop had something of interest and in nice condition they essentially wanted payment at a considerable premium compared to price found in the OPG. No surprise there.

I have relatives near Duluth Minnesota, and travel up that way on occasion. A check of the LCS in Duluth revealed, not too my surprise, they had even less of the "good stuff" than comic book stores did in the Twin Cities area. A check of the phone book revealed that there was a small store in Superior Wisconsin, that sold comic books, sport cards, magazines and the like, in short it was an old fashioned drug store. The store was Globe News, in business since 1981 as a drug store, but without the soda counter.

Globe News is located just a few blocks from Lake Superior near the edge of downtown Superior. During my first few visits I did not find too much of interest. On one visit, however I asked if I could see the short box of books they had on a shelf on the wall behind the cash register. There were only 20 or so issues in the short box, but one of them was Wonder Woman #83.

Globe News - Superior Wisconsin on the corner of Belknap and Tower Av. (Lake Superior is visible in the background, barely)

GlobeN_zpscbb029ed.jpg

GlobeN2_zpsb910d542.jpg

WW_83_zpsbcdd5369.jpg

Don't own it now but I bought one as a kid in the 1980's at the SDCC one year.

MarvelMysteryComics_46_8-5.jpg

It was not considered a classic cover back then either so I got it because it was cheap among the other issues. I'm still surprised the prices it commands today. Neat but not great cover to me.

I've had copies offered to me over the years but other than it being my first GA book it doesn't do a lot for me. It was my first though.

A check of the phone book revealed that there was a small store in Superior Wisconsin, that sold comic books, sport cards, magazines and the like, in short it was an old fashioned drug store. The store was Globe News, in business since 1981 as a drug store, but without the soda counter.

Globe News is located just a few blocks from Lake Superior near the edge of downtown Superior.

GlobeN_zpscbb029ed.jpg

Comic books, sports cards, magazines, what a great start! I just wish it still had the soda fountain.

:(

It was not considered a classic cover back then either so I got it because it was cheap among the other issues. I'm still surprised the prices it commands today. Neat but not great cover to me.

I've had copies offered to me over the years but other than it being my first GA book it doesn't do a lot for me. It was my first though.

I think it's the way over-the-top depiction of Hitler that puts this one near the top of a lot of people's hit parade.

Who did the cover? Seriously Hep? L. B. Cole...his name is right under her butt... lol

But Hep might not have noticed the sig. lol

We felines being dairy fanciers, I was looking at her jugs.

;)

Can't say I blame ya! ;)

Jeeze! Nice one to start with. I don't know how you could part with a book like that...