• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

Being a Silver Age collector at heart. That's what I grew up with. Back in the late 80's a dealer that I was good friends with offered me All Star comics # 31. Centerfold was missing for twenty bucks. I couldn't pass it up. The second book I ever bought was Young Men # 26 . I was hooked after that . Golden age is a acquired taste , no doubt about it . But once tasted , no going back , love the history, art, etc. :cloud9: I still collect Silver ,Atlas, early DC, but still go after Golden. What was your first buy???

A Tomb of Terror #1 that I got for $56.00 in Sept 2009 from a Comiclink Ebetter auction.

RAD184C920091120_172641.jpg

I regret that I no longer own it, I sold it for $300 at a local convention several years ago, but once I received the book I will admit, I was hooked on Golden age books.

I didn't have a 1st golden age, I had a whole brown grocery paper bag of About 75.

I'm 48 now but in the late 70's when I first started collecting, they were mostly newsstand Spiderman stuff and junk like that and I was pretty much hooked on comics at that point but albeit still modern books.

My mom got a call from one of her friends that knew I liked funny books, and she had a friend in Cheektowaga NY who was having a moving sale and she new I liked comics so she suggested my mom take me to the moving sale and see what she has.

Soooo, (this is the good part), we arrive and she takes us down in the basement of her house and there were 2 Refrigerator boxes laying flat with the tops cut open and there were litterly thousands of coverless comics and I looked and snubbed my nose at 'em and said no thanks (d-bag move I know)

So she says, "well, I do have a bag of comics with the covers still on that you might like"..So I walk over and there to my amazement were about 75 PCH books (E.C. etc) stacked neatly in this bag. Mind u I was only a modern collector, but I did have a copy of the OPG 9th edition (my fist one) and knew that I found a little piece of heaven. I tried to contain my excitement and asked how much she wanted for them and she said 1.00 a piece!! She could see the disappointment on my face and she then said, "oh what the heck, you can have 'em for 10cents each" YAY!!!!

Turns out she had worked for a publisher down on Lord St in Buffalo since the 50's where they used to print several titles like Doll Man etc and she use to take home these coverless books and read 'em. Looking back obviously I should have taken the thousands of coverless books, but hell, I was only maybe 12 at the time (shrug)

Sold all my books in the late 80's to chase girls and jumped back in about 5 years ago.

Yep! I was hooked ever since.

Superman #76 in 1966 for 5 bucks...which was a lot of money back then, then bought some GA from Howard Rogostry who used to advertise in Marvels comics, as well as Passic book store or something like that, that was house of mystery #1

Atlas Black Knight #3. I was collecting Avengers, and enjoyed Dane Whitman's character in Palmer and Epting's 90's Avengers run. You can't read a Black Knight story without mention of Sir Percy of Scandia, so I decided I wanted to track down the 5-issues series. Still have two more to go... hm

I only collected silver and bronze until the 1981 Overstreet came out. Once I saw the color covers by LB Cole I was hooked.

My first purchase was from John Iavarone. I think the ad was in the Comics Journal. I bought 5 Cole books. Spook 22 was one of them. Not sure about the rest. I also bought Atomic Spy Cases because the title seemed cool.

By 1985 I had near complete runs of all the pch and scifi books. In the early 90's I decided to sell all my .10 ct cover books. :pullhair: I'm not sure why, but I still have the Atomic Spy Cases.

I didn't buy another golden age book until I won a couple of Aurora books in 1997. I didn't buy anymore until 2006 when I won the Crippen copy of Blue Bolt 112. I was instantly hooked again.

atsc1_zps2757d02a.jpg

I forget most of the issue numbers, but a handful of early 1950s Blackhawks I got for around a quarter apiece in 1971 at a comic convention, when I was 12. I was looking for early Marvels, but the opportunity to buy "Golden Age" hero comics that cheap was too good to pass up.

The one I still do remember was issue 56, with the War Wheel cover.

Love the Sliverage but nothing like the Gold my first book many moons ago and still have it.

Amazing Man 11

102_5446_zps4o0r63ff.jpg

Dang Jack! What an amazing first book! I didn't even know what a Centaur was when I entered into the GA market. Were you already familiar with Everett's work when you laid eyes on that cover?

My first golden age book was Action Comics 54. A lcs had it a few years ago for $50.00, it was missing the bottom 1/4 of the cover, otherwise a solid 3.0 grade and the cover is still attached. The lcs had it for a while and they used to run a 50% off sale on Black Friday, so I had my wife pick it up for me for $25.00. I still have it.

Long since sold, my first golden age comic was Wonder Woman #10 in the early 90's. I had a promise to myself to never ever sell it, being that it was my first purchase in gold. Well, things changed (collecting focus'), but, i wish i still had it now. :(

Superman #37 in fine condition for $30 from Fantasy Illustrated in Garden Grove, California. Probably around 1983. Weeks later, I purchased Superman #33, followed by Action 126. It's been a passion ever since.

I had bought a variety of books off the racks when I was a kid, books like transformers, Howard the duck, and G I joe. When I was growing up my Dad was a baseball card and comic book show promoter. We would travel around parts of Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee 3 out of ever 4 weekends from about age 5 - 16. I would sell baseball cards at my very own booth. Back then , at least from my observations, many people collected both comics and cards. Now in 2016, they don't go together quite like peanut butter and chocolate but things change. When I would set up, some people traded me comics for cards and before you knew it, I had a healthy collection of cards and comics. At the time, GA books seemed to me like a luxury and I could not attain a GA book.

Many years later in life, I had the opportunity to purchase a GA book that I could not pass up. The cover was beyond anything else and I had never really heard of the title. "Who was the cover artist, I really liked their style?", I thought. I went for it and bought the book. Since then I now have about 20 books in the run and an additional 6-7 covers in other titles by the cover artist.

My first GA book is Planet Comics 25 , Dan Zolnerowich cover

image_zpscwifptg7.jpg

PS.....I still own the book (thumbs u

Two Fisted Tales 30, from a comic shop in London in the early '90s, for around £10 (it was around VGFN). Still have it.

As E.C.s are Atom Age, I'll add that the first proper GA book I bought was a Cap 55 at a convention (Pittsburgh) in 1998. I sold it on eBay in the mid noughties, which I regret doing (it was a 7.5). A short while after that I bought a Cap 17 at another convention and I was hooked on Timelys from that point on, with PCH running a close second.

det49vg-_zpshwso2iot.jpg

Bought this Detective Comics #49 at a local comic shop in Downtown Vancouver in 1995 for $300 (Canadian) when I was 12yrs old. Its still in its fortress. The seller had a mid-grade Superman #1 for $12,000 (Canadian) and a nice Action Comics #7 for $5000 (Canadian) hanging on the wall