• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

Don't own it now but I bought one as a kid in the 1980's at the SDCC one year.

MarvelMysteryComics_46_8-5.jpg

It was not considered a classic cover back then either so I got it because it was cheap among the other issues. I'm still surprised the prices it commands today. Neat but not great cover to me.

I've had copies offered to me over the years but other than it being my first GA book it doesn't do a lot for me. It was my first though.

Jeeze! Nice one to start with. I don't know how you could part with a book like that...

You know I say I don't own it now but I don't ever remember selling or trading it so it's possible I still have It and don't know it. hm

My GF while doing some spring cleaning recently found about 20-30 Matt Baker and LB Cole books I forgot I purchased at the 1991 and 1994 SDCC's. Still had some of the receipts in the box too. lol

I moved about 3 times in the 1990's while serving some of that time in the AF so things got moved a lot.

I really don't hate the cover or anything but it pales to me when I look at many other "classics" in the run.

The very first GA books I bought were a Flash Comics #1 missing the back cover and a Batman #46 missing the CF. Some time later I bought a VG-ish copy of Tec #36 and had its backcover married to the Flash #1. Who knew the Tec would be worth more than the Franken Flash.

Still have the Batman #46.

It was not considered a classic cover back then either so I got it because it was cheap among the other issues. I'm still surprised the prices it commands today. Neat but not great cover to me.

I've had copies offered to me over the years but other than it being my first GA book it doesn't do a lot for me. It was my first though.

Jeeze! Nice one to start with. I don't know how you could part with a book like that...

You know I say I don't own it now but I don't ever remember selling or trading it so it's possible I still have It and don't know it. hm

My GF while doing some spring cleaning recently found about 20-30 Matt Baker and LB Cole books I forgot I purchased at the 1991 and 1994 SDCC's. Still had some of the receipts in the box too. lol

I moved about 3 times in the 1990's while serving some of that time in the AF so things got moved a lot.

I really don't hate the cover or anything but it pales to me when I look at many other "classics" in the run.

I mean how does one "loose" 20-30 Baker and LB Cole books as well as a Marvel Mystery 46? If you send them to me I will be able to tell right where they are!

I believe my first book was a cap 6. I got it at a train show for $1, it was probably vg ish. I knew nothing about gold then and only had the cbm which started with issue 100 ?. I was buying tons of spiderman books at the time from one dealer at the show, but instead of holding the book after my favorite dealer didnt show up for a few shows i traded it for a couple spideys (i probably got ripped off badly). I think my first overstreet was 88 or 89 the batman cover which in tore up.

I was able to buy back a cap 30 i owned as a kid which i bought one summer with my dad. That book i will never sell as i can photo match it to my bed.

I remember Sam Frazier from NY. I i remember meeting him at a Nathans to look at a detective 29, which i never bought from him.

James G

I was at a flea market in 1979 with a friend that also was collecting comics. We were both collecting Marvels then. He was collecting Spider-Man, I was collecting Fantastic Four. We came across a very low-grade copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #51. It was very brittle with pieces missing and the cover was detached. It was amazing. Neither of us could afford it, but we pooled our recourses together and went halfsies on it. I put in $10 and he put in $10 and we had our first golden age comic. I later became the sole owner when my friend stopped collecting comics. I owned the book for 30+ years and sold it recently to fund other collecting interests.

I mean how does one "loose" 20-30 Baker and LB Cole books as well as a Marvel Mystery 46? If you send them to me I will be able to tell right where they are!

Just the Coles. Please send me the Bakers. :wishluck:

My first GA comic was Tec 102.

When I was about 12 years old in the 80s I would buy comics from my LCS. I mostly had BA or what was "new" back in the days. I really liked Batman and I wanted to have an appearance by him as far back as possible. I saved my lunch money and allowance from my parents ($2 a week + Gift cash) and got it. I still have it to this day. Its like a FN copy. Not sure if it was higher grade back then because I read it many times.

It is amazing we held on to the first books we purchased are all these years :)

I'll never sell mine. It'll eventually go to my daughter, as will my first ever Silver Age book (Iron Man 4). Sentimental value over monetary value, although it probably helps that neither are very expensive books.

Found this.

This is probably the second group shot I've ever taken. It's dated June 2002 and what you see there is my entire GA collection to that time lol Humble beginnings.

This was taken two houses ago and it's amazing to think back on how much I've been able to collect since then even with the major slowdown in the past couple of years (kids ... :) )

March%201952%20Group%20Shot%20-%20June%202002_zpshk0tnvnr.jpg

The first GA book I bought was a coverless Detective Comics #149 many moons ago. I was 12. Paid a couple of bucks at some long defunct comic shop in downtown Salt Lake City. From that point on, I started picking up whatever GA coverless, incompletes, parts that I could on a teenager's budget.

1st Raw GA Book was Superman 15... it graded out a 6.5 with a Married cover and some CT and Tear seals. I bought this from Metropolis.

1st Graded GA Book a copy of Batman 41 that I picked up on CLink in a 6.0...

Yes, I still have them.