• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

My first golden age book was a Captain America #4 which I bought from a collector I met at Supersnipe comics in NYC. This was around 1971 and I was about 13 and it was $100 or so and looked like a VF. I was thrilled to have the original stories that were used in the 1966 Fantasy Masterpieces series. Unfortunately, as I was reading it I noticed that one of the stories cut off so not only was this my first golden age book but also my first experience with a missing centerfold. I spoke to the seller and he argued that it's common for rare books to have missing pages and he wouldn't take it back. I wound up trading it away for something else, and I been counting pages ever since. I wish the "awe" of those earliest purchases was still present. Still cool buying books over the years but it's not the same feeling.

My first golden age book was a Captain America #4 which I bought from a collector I met at Supersnipe comics in NYC. This was around 1971 and I was about 13 and it was $100 or so and looked like a VF. I was thrilled to have the original stories that were used in the 1966 Fantasy Masterpieces series. Unfortunately, as I was reading it I noticed that one of the stories cut off so not only was this my first golden age book but also my first experience with a missing centerfold. I spoke to the seller and he argued that it's common for rare books to have missing pages and he wouldn't take it back. I wound up trading it away for something else, and I been counting pages ever since. I wish the "awe" of those earliest purchases was still present. Still cool buying books over the years but it's not the same feeling.

Jeepers! 100 bucks at age 13 and u bought a comic?? :o

Superman 18, purchased about 1985 from the long-gone Adventureland Comics in Fullerton, California.

I still have it.

--ElJay

Didn't know you were from So Cal ElJay. I remember Adventureland comics too.

Hi Bob!

Yep, I'm SoCal born and bred. Grew up mainly in Anaheim.

I remember that there was another comic shop off of Harbor Blvd in Fullerton, only a block or so from Adventureland, but I can't think of it's name!

--ElJay

X-Mas Comics 2.

Bought from another student in 1970 when I was in high school, it came out of a garage in Battle Creek, Michigan.

That's MY old copy pictured in the early issues of Overstreet, from about #5 through #12 or so. Black and white pic, but I recognized the flaws on the cover the minute I spotted it.

I kept it for about three years, and traded it off to a fellow at a flea market for some of the early Marvels I was still missing, he must've sent it into Bob or sent in a good picture. I'd recognize the book in hand to this very day.

Pretty solid introduction to the Golden Age, eh?

Can't remember precisely, but probably a later Captain Marvel for two cents from Mickey's Hobbies on Clement Street in San Francisco in the early 1960s. Or possibly a copy of Four Color 422 from the same shop.

First mail order would probably be a couple of early Superman issues from Ricahard Alf or an early Detective from Howard Rogofsky.

I scraped it together somehow so the impact of missing pages was devastating. :boo: .

My first GA book was a Supernan 59 in maybe VG/FN from an antique store for $20 back around 1976/1977. And yes I still have it ?

I need to fine a photo I took back in the day of all my GA in 1980 or so

I think they are all laid out on my captains bed in their full glory.

My first GA book was a Supernan 59 in maybe VG/FN from an antique store for $20 back around 1976/1977. And yes I still have it ?

I need to fine a photo I took back in the day of all my GA in 1980 or so

I think they are all laid out on my captains bed in their full glory.

We would love to see it!!! :applause:

I scraped it together somehow so the impact of missing pages was devastating. :boo: .

I'm sorry :sorry:

That's the age I started saving for a motorcycle. At 15 I bought a new one off the showroom floor, and drove it home.

A few weeks after the Gerber Photo-Journal guides came out and I had been pouring over the images and writing down books with covers that I really liked, I checked out the relatively new CL site and bought this book. Once I had it in hand I was hooked on golden age. The sad part is that I passed on the Church copy of #8 which was also for sale at the time because it was $100 more.

Ken

headline10.jpg

The first one was Action 23, a coverless book,one of my eBay 3am buys around 2000, that I later found out was missing the centerfold. I think I paid $30 for it on eBay and later sold it to someone who said he was making a Superman movie.

This was my 2nd GA book. One of my eBay, 5am buys the same year. The seller had a whole bunch of GA listed with BINS (when they first started with Bins) for $200 each. I was just excited to find a superman GA comic, so I grabbed it.

I didn't think I could afford 2, at the time, so I watched the other books get snapped up. I was later on chastised by one of my comic gurus, because among the other books were Marvel Mystery 4, 5, 8, 9, lol...but I knew DC and I didn't know what Timely was at the time, so I took the one I knew.

. This book is also the one that taught me not to use Mylars, I sliced the cover putting it back in the mylar it came in;)

superman%207%20002.jpg

. This book is also the one that taught me not to use Mylars, I sliced the cover putting it back in the mylar it came in;)

superman%207%20002.jpg[/color]

Been there, done that. Actually almost did it this morning putting a book in a 4mil mylar. They look stunning in 'em but are extremely dangerous to work with

Superman 18, purchased about 1985 from the long-gone Adventureland Comics in Fullerton, California.

I still have it.

--ElJay

Didn't know you were from So Cal ElJay. I remember Adventureland comics too.

Hi Bob!

Yep, I'm SoCal born and bred. Grew up mainly in Anaheim.

I remember that there was another comic shop off of Harbor Blvd in Fullerton, only a block or so from Adventureland, but I can't think of it's name!

--ElJay

Maybe it was The Book Sail, John McLaughlin's shop. Or John Koukisastas' shop Kookie Collectibles? I grew up in Pasadena. As a kid there were no comic book shops but plenty of old used book stores. When I could drive, I hung out in Hollywood at Cherokee Books, Collector's Books and Bond Street Books. Bought lots of stuff in those stores. Probably some of the first comic book shops in the US.

Been there, done that. Actually almost did it this morning putting a book in a 4mil mylar. They look stunning in 'em but are extremely dangerous to work with

A friend showed me a trick, take another backing board and put it over the front of the comic, then slide the comic in the board sandwich into the mylar.

Slide the top board out just before it's all the way in the mylar.

I only do that in emergencies, lol...still don't use them.

A friend showed me a trick, take another backing board and put it over the front of the comic, then slide the comic in the board sandwich into the mylar.

Slide the top board out just before it's all the way in the mylar.

I only do that in emergencies, lol...still don't use them.

neat tip. thank u :foryou: