• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your very first Golden Age comic you bought?

132 posts in this topic

I know I've shown this many times before, but there maybe some out there that

haven't seen it yet...bought off the newsstand in Philadelphia in 1942.

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

Marty, that is such a cool comic to have bought new off the stands! One of my favorite Timely covers.

Sorry if you have already covered this, but do you remember anything about the day you bought it? Did the cover jump out at you, or were you already a fan of Timely heroes? Do you still have many of these type of comics from your youth?

Thanks for sharing the memories.

I know I've shown this many times before, but there maybe some out there that

haven't seen it yet...bought off the newsstand in Philadelphia in 1942.

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

Marty, that is such a cool comic to have bought new off the stands! One of my favorite Timely covers.

Sorry if you have already covered this, but do you remember anything about the day you bought it? Did the cover jump out at you, or were you already a fan of Timely heroes? Do you still have many of these type of comics from your youth?

Thanks for sharing the memories.

Thank you for your kind comments and interest!...it was at a newsstand at 52nd and Market,

just outside the Automat...my Father was buying a newspaper and I saw this book and he

bought it for me. Up to then I have no memory of noticing any comic books.

Since then (1942 to 1954) I collected 700+ comic books all of which I still have in various

states of condition.

mm

I'm a total newb when it comes to GA. Started in 2014 but will never look back.

First pickup was my Tec 48 9.0

Me too brother in the grand scheme of things!! I got infatuated very quickly though we will just say the disease is very aggressive and spreads quickly lol

I'm a total newb when it comes to GA. Started in 2014 but will never look back.

First pickup was my Tec 48 9.0

Me too brother in the grand scheme of things!! I got infatuated very quickly though we will just say the disease is very aggressive and spreads quickly lol

And there is no known cure! :cry:

As a kid in the 70s the only time I got comics was when I was sick my mom would pick me up one or two at the drugstore- Usually Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker and such. I mostly read Peanuts stuff. As a kid my main collecting hobby was coins because my grandfather got me into it when he gave me his complete run of Mercury dimes. I loved seeking the indian head nickels out and looking for better strikes, etc. They were all stolen from my home when I bragged about my coin collection in 6th grade. :facepalm:

I got into comics very late (I was 21 and it was 1990) and the next thing I knew I was running a 2500 square foot store in a strip mall and buying collections and doing shows. Bought plenty of GA comics then but honestly cannot remember what because they would come and go and for whatever reason I did not appreciate them at the time. I was mainly interested in comics because of the art, the collectible side and the commerce.

The first golden age comic I bought though that really hooked me on them was somewhere around 10 years ago and I sadly sold it (wish I had that copy back). It was around 2006 and I had some spare cash and saw this on eBay and it caught my eye. I think this set the stage for what would be my current comic collecting interest.

NWFp60ih.jpg

7765526872_66819d114c_b.jpg

It has been so long that I don't really remember which I bought first. I think the Whiz (and a couple others) were gifts from a relative. The Human Torch was a later purchase and so was the Batman 19. I like to think it was All Star 23 but it was probably the Boy Comic or the Star Spangled which I won in an auction by Jerry Bails. :blahblah:

I posted my MAD #9 a while back. Might be considered actually "Atomic Age" but it was the oldest comic I ever bought up until that time. The first comic I paid more than cover price for.

This book might actually for my first GA purchase. I bought it at a used book store called the "Book Nook". Mostly books and old magazines but the guy had a few boxes up in front with comics of no real significance. One day while browsing, I saw the corver of this poking out of a pile of old B/W Life magazines. I slid it out and about wet my pants. Neatly written inside was the price of $3.00 in pencil. I also pulled out a couple very early Disneys out of the stack and a Timely that I think was a single digit Human Torch.

I took them up to the old man and mixed in a few 10 cent books from the junk box. He was ringing them up and stopped at the GA books asking me where I got them. I said I found them laying around. He noted that they were not 10 cents and I pointed out the prices inside. I said I was willing to pay that for them. He reluctantly agreed to sell them. I then realized I only had $7.00 on me so I just bought the Supe and Torch. Out I went with the two oldest books I had ever seen.

The Torch is long gone but I kept the Supe even having this autograph written on it at an early San Diego Con. Always ment to have Shuster sign to the left but sadly it never got done. So, here is my first truly GA comic.

comsuperman9_zpsabnc9hz3.jpg