• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art day -why do you do It?

33 posts in this topic

To start I wish to say this topic is not meant as a slight to anyone. I am not picking on anyone.

This forum has a long running thread for people to post new art. CAF also exists and allows us to post new art.

So with genuine interest I ask - why/when does one decide that it's a good idea to post an Art Day topic instead of using the other routes to make it known you got something new.

Again I am happy to learn about new art any way it's done, but am not sure if Art Day posts serve any extra purpose.

Ehh why not. Sometimes you just want to share. As long as people aren't doing it all the time there's no harm IMO. I hear where you're coming from in that... I think some people use the big announcement as a way of.. Trying to elevate the piece. That said there's lots of situations where people are just sharing and IMO ultimately there's no harm either way

Most of the time I just post (routine) stuff in my CAF and leave it at that.

If I consider new items particularly noteworthy I'll post images in the 'This week in your original artwork collection' thread.

If I think the new pieces are particularly noteworthy AND capable of prompting further discussion, I'll create an 'Art Day' thread. For example, the 'Movie Poster Art Day' thread I recently started. That lead to a lot of discussion on an art form that would otherwise be overlooked in a (mostly) comic-book art forum.

A lot of noteworthy art can easily be overlooked if not highlighted, so I do it myself on occasion . . . and don't have a problem with others doing the same thing.

It only takes a few moments of your time to check out such posts - and if not enough to pique your interest any further, just click onto another topic. (shrug)

If I consider new items particularly noteworthy I'll post images in the 'This week in your original artwork collection' thread.

If I think the new pieces are particularly noteworthy AND capable of prompting further discussion, I'll create an 'Art Day' thread. For example, the 'Movie Poster Art Day' thread I recently started. That lead to a lot of discussion on an art form that would otherwise be overlooked in a (mostly) comic-book art forum.

A lot of noteworthy art can easily be overlooked if not highlighted, so I do it myself on occasion . . . and don't have a problem with others doing the same thing.

It only takes a few moments of your time to check out such posts - and if not enough to pique your interest any further, just click onto another topic. (shrug)

This (and thanks for saving me typing out a post)

+1

Agreed. If I think there will be follow up posts or a discussion or additional scans or back and forth then it goes in it's own thread. Otherwise you've got people posting their new pickups in the middle of a discussion and they feel stepped on and you feel interrupted. No need when it can just go in its own space.

I normally use the "Official" this week thread. If it's something I think it is spectacular, I might start a new thread, but it has to be really good.

Same here. There's quite a bit of art posted on CAF every day that things get lost in the shuffle.

Speaking for myself, I will do an occasional Art Day post when I am really excited about something that I just got and want to share and typically it is something pretty big (for me). Otherwise I just post to my CAF and that is that. So only something really special to you should be an Art Day, and I think a rare art day of that nature should be shouted from the mountain tops, or at least posted to the forums. :)

I typically don't do an "art day" thread since most of my collection is niche and doesn't generate a whole lot of discussion.

Since this forum is a bit slower than most, with little clutter, 'art day' threads don't make much of a difference. But I think if you start one for a piece you are enthusiastic enough about to garner it's own thread, write a little something.

Saying "I got something new" with a link is a lame attempt at click-bait. The only thing it's missing is a line like, "You won't believe what they do in panel 6." or "This page is so shocking most doctors don't want you to see it." rantrant:baiting:

I usually just throw my new pieces in the "New This Week in Your Original Art Collection Thread", but I see no problem with making new threads if you're particularly excited about something. It's not like this area is extremely traffic-heavy, so sometimes it's nice to see a new thread about something someone is proud of. I know in my personal life, none of my family or friends care or know anything at all about original art, so I can definitely see the urge to share your love with folks who might be interested.

This is a good thread. It has me actually asking myself when a page is “appropriate” for a new art day thread. We all look at art differently so I don’t think there is really a wrong answer (short of maybe posting everything this way). Share it if you are so inclined – the responses you receive/don’t receive may be a good indicator of what interests others on the forum.

Like many here have said, I do an "art day" post, if it is something special or something I'm really jazzed about. I think it only makes sense to draw more attention to something like that.

I will admit that I don't write a big deal on the post, but that's because my write-ups in the description section of the piece is where you'll find that (such a shame so many others don't use that area on their stuff at CAF, kind of misses half of what it's about). You have to click a link to see it, but I always try to make it worth your while when you do.

Saying "I got something new" with a link is a lame attempt at click-bait. The only thing it's missing is a line like, "You won't believe what they do in panel 6." or "This page is so shocking most doctors don't want you to see it." rantrant:baiting:

"Banned in 23 states. And Canada." lol;)

Speaking for myself, I will do an occasional Art Day post when I am really excited about something that I just got and want to share and typically it is something pretty big (for me). Otherwise I just post to my CAF and that is that. So only something really special to you should be an Art Day, and I think a rare art day of that nature should be shouted from the mountain tops, or at least posted to the forums. :)

+1

Also, I seldom check out the official thread. The images are often blocked at work (whaaaa?) and it seems like those posts don't promote board comments.

Funny! I tend to agree. If an image is not included in the thread and not much more than a CAF link I don’t find myself very inclined to jump to CAF as it does feel like “click bait” or someone who is looking to drive up views and/or comments. Exception: if is says Hulk – I will take the click bait!

Funny! I tend to agree. If an image is not included in the thread and not much more than a CAF link I don’t find myself very inclined to jump to CAF as it does feel like “click bait” or someone who is looking to drive up views and/or comments. Exception: if is says Hulk – I will take the click bait! [/7quote]

As a relative newbie, I tried to post an image to a post but failed. Does anyone have a link explaining how to attach images on these posts?

Funny! I tend to agree. If an image is not included in the thread and not much more than a CAF link I don’t find myself very inclined to jump to CAF as it does feel like “click bait” or someone who is looking to drive up views and/or comments. Exception: if is says Hulk – I will take the click bait! [/7quote]

As a relative newbie, I tried to post an image to a post but failed. Does anyone have a link explaining how to attach images on these posts?

Paging Alex Johnson . . . ;)