• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "big 4"

62 posts in this topic

Havent seen a single TWD episode yet

Me either, but I've tried and seen bits of several, to me it is like a soap opera but with zombies lol

no offense to those who enjoy it though :)

Me either, but I've tried and seen bits of several, to me it is like a soap opera but with zombies lol

Thats exactly what it is. Thats why there are so many female viewers too

But then again, so was Watchmen

Can we not still consider New Mutants #98 the top Modern, with Batman Adventures #12 a close second? Or does WD#1 tend to go for more?
If NM98 is the top book it isn't showing well. The recent crash of CGC 9.8 books from the $1000 range down to $700 and under was inevitable. We all knew it was over-inflated and a correction was in order especially considering how many copies exist.

How about albedo #2? As far as moderns go its a book it'd rather own then walking dead or whatever book x23 appears in.

Albedo 2 is definitely up there. Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't you say the popularity of the character Usagi Yojimbo's was directly related to the TMNT story line boosting the characters exposure? The other books I mentioned I feel are stand alone books. That's why I didn't mention Albedo 2 in my initial assessment. It is definitely a book to own.

And no one should take offense. People like what they like. I'm personally not an X-Men fan but it doesn't keep me from appreciating and investing in a key issue.

I personally believe TWD is here to stay, to some peoples dismay. For myself TWD was the single most important factor that got me back into collecting after a 20 year lull. From what I heard I am not alone in the catagory.

TWD is a big deal, for sure... but it's nothing like the other books on this list... or the Golden Age list... or the Silver Age list. It's a drama about surviving the zombie apocalypse. No capes, no bullets bouncing off the hero, no superhuman healing factor, no time travel, no alien planets, etc.

While all of those are positives for TWD, they're the opposite of decades of high dollar comic books. If the "traditional comic book" is on its way out... then TWD #1 is the book to own. Sell the regular key issue comics and buy TWD #1.

But, if key issue comics from the past 80 years are "here to stay", then TWD #1 is in a precarious situation... since it doesn't fit. Right now, TWD #1 is an amazing book. But there is the potential that someday it could be in the same category as westerns are now.

It's not like every American at the time wasn't aware of the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry. Name a kid that didn't play "Cowboys and Indians" at some point...

Westerns had a bigger percentage of worldwide fans than TWD does now.

Sure, there are still collectors for key western books. But where do those books fit in the "big 4" lists?

My own two cents (and they're worth precisely that much) is that TWD will never experience a HUGE slide backwards in value. It may taper a bit, sure, as the phenomenom of the show surely can't last forever. (In fact, I think we're seeing a quite a bit of backlash/fatique in the fandom of the show considering the events of the season opener.)

But the print run on the book is miniscule compared to the number of folks that want to own a copy. If the entire market crashes, sure, it'll backslide a bit, but I just can't see it ever going too far down. There are MILLIONS or rabid fans of that show. There are, what, 7000 copies of the first issue, something like that? Even once the show is out of favor and no longer pulling in ratings (or is canceled) there are still going to be thousands of hardcore fans out there who still want that book.

I think TMNT is also with us for the long haul, and again, considering popularity of the brand versus supply of first printings of the book, I just can't see it taking a major slide.

So, my bronze-forward list would likely be

Hulk 181

TMNT 1

TWD 1

And...GL 76. Classic cover, never seems to go out of style/demand.

IMO ASM 129 will likely continue to be a popular book, especially with the new Netflix series coming, but the book is pretty plentiful out there. It's not hard at all to get a copy in just about any grade if you want one. True, the same can be said for IH 181, but the difference in the popularity of Punisher vs Wolverine is still pretty vast, I think.

TWD is a big deal, for sure... but it's nothing like the other books on this list... or the Golden Age list... or the Silver Age list. It's a drama about surviving the zombie apocalypse. No capes, no bullets bouncing off the hero, no superhuman healing factor, no time travel, no alien planets, etc.

While all of those are positives for TWD, they're the opposite of decades of high dollar comic books. If the "traditional comic book" is on its way out... then TWD #1 is the book to own. Sell the regular key issue comics and buy TWD #1.

But, if key issue comics from the past 80 years are "here to stay", then TWD #1 is in a precarious situation... since it doesn't fit. Right now, TWD #1 is an amazing book. But there is the potential that someday it could be in the same category as westerns are now.

It's not like every American at the time wasn't aware of the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry. Name a kid that didn't play "Cowboys and Indians" at some point...

Westerns had a bigger percentage of worldwide fans than TWD does now.

Sure, there are still collectors for key western books. But where do those books fit in the "big 4" lists?

Very well said sir!

I still don't believe in The Walking Dead.

a) It still hasn't reached the heights of popularity, media saturation and cultural heights that the TMNT (let alone Star Wars) did in their first decade.

b) 5 years from now the show will be cancelled and the TV audience will have moved on. I'd rather be holding nearly any of the other books in the list.

We're probably at peak popularity for TWD right now - with the adaptation of issues 98-102, the introduction of Negan, and the much-hyped Season 7 premiere, in fact. And we've already seen one spin-off series.

Where will future audiences for it come from? What further growth is there for it?

If it were a stock, I'd have shorted it yesterday.

I still don't believe in The Walking Dead.

a) It still hasn't reached the heights of popularity, media saturation and cultural heights that the TMNT (let alone Star Wars) did in their first decade.

b) 5 years from now the show will be cancelled and the TV audience will have moved on. I'd rather be holding nearly any of the other books in the list.

We're probably at peak popularity for TWD right now - with the adaptation of issues 98-102, the introduction of Negan, and the much-hyped Season 7 premiere, in fact. And we've already seen one spin-off series.

Where will future audiences for it come from? What further growth is there for it?

If it were a stock, I'd have shorted it yesterday.

This is the thing though you might not like it,but millions of others do, especially women.

They are a whole new market who are also fueling the Harley Quinn spike in popularity. You won't find any female super hero who is as popular as Harley Quinn.

She is a better bet than Wonder Woman now.

The new generations love TWD,Deadpool and Harley Quinn. The baton has been passed.

Let's look at The Walking Dead's longevity and popularity.

It started in 2003. That's 13 years ago! Wow that is a long run,especially with moderns getting rebooted every week. So Walking Dead is reliable and steady.

The popularity was off the charts this last Sunday as it beat the NFL in ratings. The last time I looked the NFL was the gold standard in ratings.

I respect your opinion as you have some good knowledge in your posts, but I am going long with The Walking Dead.

What is also great about the Walking Dead #1 is that first print is just so low. Supply and demand will make it a top pick for years.

I think a more apt comparison is X-Files.

9 original seasons, huge cult following, 2 movies and the short-lived revival 10th season last year.

The first issue of the Topps comic book had a print run of about 30k and hit $75 or so in the late '90s.

While the comic never reached anywhere near the value of TWD # 1, at its peak the show was arguably more popular among non-comic collectors than TWD show is today.

Let's see where TWD is after it hits X-Files longevity of three more TV seasons and two theatrical movies -- then add five years after cancellation, when the public has moved on to a new hot thing.

Sure - the July issue of TWD sold 76,000 copies, more than 10x that of issue # 1, but there's a huge difference between being a key comic book (like Sandman # 1 or even Cerebus 1) and being a pop culture icon that spans generations (like Wolverine, Star Wars, TMNT, etc.).

I'd say it has a chance of being referred to in future comics etc. provided there was original material that is unique in the face of the zombie apocalypse, I just hesitate to say it will stay in popularity if there really aren't too many keys besides the #1 issue. ASM while different had many first appearances throughout its history kept it fresh. Who knows maybe there is a bigger twist for TWD other than the zombie apocalypse, but it will need something to keep the comic interesting after any possible cancellation of a show, movie, merchandise, etc.

OP:

Hulk 181

GSXM 1

TMNT 1 FP

& BA 12

I've gone to the LCS and looked through comics and heard people in the store, seems kids as young as 5 or 6 recognize HQ but idk it's popular to me 'cause of batman animated series, deadpool is kinda like ASM 129 or ASM 300 it's great but only the movie(s) will push it to the forefront it had popularity as 129 or 300

BA 12 kinda started as TMNT that has stood alone---my point is my choices WILL change as time moves on hm

I think the problem with comparing X-Files and Lost to TWD is that TWD started as a comic first, whereas X-Files, Lost, etc were all tv properties first. There was a rabid TWD fandom long before the show took off and blasted it through the stratosphere. Even if fairweather tv audiences leave the show behind, there are going to be hardcore comic fans hunting that #1 for years. I routinely pick X-Files 1 out of $1 and less boxes. There is zero chance that ever happens with TWD 1, at any point in the future.

Can we not still consider New Mutants #98 the top Modern, with Batman Adventures #12 a close second? Or does WD#1 tend to go for more?

Walking Dead #1 goes for much more. Here is the current 90 day GPA price for a 9.8 copy:

WD #1 $3,200

BA #12 $1,977

NM #98 $696

In terms of scarcity, Walking Dead #1 had a print run of less than 7,300 copies.

I think a more apt comparison is X-Files.

9 original seasons, huge cult following, 2 movies and the short-lived revival 10th season last year.

The first issue of the Topps comic book had a print run of about 30k and hit $75 or so in the late '90s.

While the comic never reached anywhere near the value of TWD # 1, at its peak the show was arguably more popular among non-comic collectors than TWD show is today.

Let's see where TWD is after it hits X-Files longevity of three more TV seasons and two theatrical movies -- then add five years after cancellation, when the public has moved on to a new hot thing.

Sure - the July issue of TWD sold 76,000 copies, more than 10x that of issue # 1, but there's a huge difference between being a key comic book (like Sandman # 1 or even Cerebus 1) and being a pop culture icon that spans generations (like Wolverine, Star Wars, TMNT, etc.).

I beg to differ on not being a pop culture icon. I think walking dead has in fact crossed into that pop culture icon status, and has changed the rules just like TMNT did in their day. I think we are going to look back and realize this as a new age.

I have little to add except the rhetorical question of whether anything can become iconic anymore. Is anything a cultural phenomenon? Lost, Twilight (sorry), The Walking Dead, Hunger Games, Game of Thrones - there seems to be a new it thing every few years. Is TWD #1 so expensive because its the first appearance of Rick Grimes? I never thought of that way and many of the earlier keys seems to be based on that.

I see TWD as similar to other fads of pop culture. People have mentioned TMNT, which I know nothing about. But it isn't Star Wars. To me the 20th century is defined by three things: Disney, Superheroes, and Star Wars. Everything else is second tier.

I watch TWD and read the book; I have no desire to own an of it as collectible.

As a Conan fan the comment about Tarzan and Prince Valiant was particularly salient. It's hard to disagree though that Conan and fantasy in general has little going for it. Yet Prince Valiant and Tarzan OA still commands a high price (at least I consider them high). Maybe the OA market is relevant to this discussion at all. I remember hating Prince Valiant as a kid, what is this boring knight stuff. Now I appreciate the artwork and find myself looking at material that is older than. Born in 1973, I have little interest in anything from the late 70s on.

Chris

I have little to add except the rhetorical question of whether anything can become iconic anymore. Is anything a cultural phenomenon? Lost, Twilight (sorry), The Walking Dead, Hunger Games, Game of Thrones - there seems to be a new it thing every few years. Is TWD #1 so expensive because its the first appearance of Rick Grimes? I never thought of that way and many of the earlier keys seems to be based on that.

There are many things that are culturally relevant in the contemporary sense.

You're asking whether there will be any future nostalgic or emotional attachment down the road to anything contemporary today?

Sure, it just wont be something that is collected early on. It will generally catch people by surprise. Like cell phones and video games. Nobody thought about collecting old Atari consoles and brick cell phones....until it was too late to collect them.

It also needs to be something people spend a lot of time doing, and in this day and age when people have short attention spans the chances of something like that happening is lessened.