• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just so you know if you use UPS.....

19 posts in this topic

UPS has changed it delivery policy for signature required packages. The will only attempt ONE delivery at your house. After that one attempt, your package will be sent to a UPS access point nearest to you house where it can be picked up the following day. I just ran into this for the first time this week. You will not be charged anything additional for the packed being sent to the access point. It will be held at that place for 7 days and then returned to sender.

A different subject, but...

My mother-in-law saw a UPS driver throw a package over our gate last week. This is a gate with no lock on it. He could have merely opened the gate and placed it inside. Luckily it was a package from Amazon rather than a comic or statue.

My mother-in-law saw a UPS driver throw a package over our gate last week. This is a gate with no lock on it. He could have merely opened the gate and placed it inside. Luckily it was a package from Amazon rather than a comic or statue.

Luckily, signature reduces this somewhat because it forces them to walk to your door. Granted, it does not affect how it is treated along the way.

they subcontract a lot of seasonal drivers who get paid $1 per delivery during the holidays. I can imagine a lot of them not wanting to spend a whole lot of time on their deliveries. I had to pass on that job offer when it came to me. How many packages can you really deliver in an hour? Five? Ten?

UPS and most carriers are pretty lame as a general statement.

I've had deliveries where the driver rang the bell and then ran off to his truck as if it as a game of doorbell ditch, leaving the parcel unattended without the courtesy of waiting.

I've had parcels delivered while it was raining, left outside in the elements.

I have a sign on my mail box for the USPS that says "Do Not Leave Parcels Unattended" explaining I preference to going to the post office to pick up a parcel in person rather than have it left alone, which has fallen to deaf ears and blind eyes.

Delivery confirmation means nothing in the world of the USPS, as I've had other peoples parcels delivered to my address with delivery confirmation. It just means the USPS dropped the package off somewhere, it does not confirm who it was delivered to.

Fed Ex leaves parcels in plain view unattended.

I've had friends who work for delivery companies as young adults, disgruntled with their job, look at any parcel with "Fragile", "Handle with Care", and "Do Not _____" written on them bring out the ire of the workers who make it their lift mission to beat the out of those packages with added attention to try to damage the contents.

The only real prevention as a shipper is to really do a great job with packaging, and then require a signature release on any delivery, for true accountability.

In the past, I've almost always used UPS to have things shipped to me. My recent experience has made me rethink that somewhat. hm

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=9624247&Searchpage=1&Main=420443&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9624247

For those who do not want to read the thread, I'll summarize: UPS severely abused a box of 16 CGC graded books. I really thought at least a few of the books would be damaged but it all turned out fine. No Damage because CGC's packing is awesome! :whee:

UPS has changed it delivery policy for signature required packages. The will only attempt ONE delivery at your house. After that one attempt, your package will be sent to a UPS access point nearest to you house where it can be picked up the following day. I just ran into this for the first time this week. You will not be charged anything additional for the packed being sent to the access point. It will be held at that place for 7 days and then returned to sender.

Not a change where I am because this is the way they've done it for as long as I can remember. If you're not home, they leave a slip and the package goes back to the local post office. If you don't pick it up from there, they eventually return it to the sender.

They never made more than one attempt to deliver it to your door. (shrug)

UPS worldship still offers 2 signature options... a 1 attempt and a 3 attempt...so, shipper can still choose (and pay for) which option (at least as of today)

Not a change where I am because this is the way they've done it for as long as I can remember. If you're not home, they leave a slip and the package goes back to the local post office. If you don't pick it up from there, they eventually return it to the sender.

UPS in the past made 3 attempts.

it really is what the shipper selects...there have been 2 options for Signatures via UPS worldship software since the 2014 update (we are on 2017 update now)...1 attempt and 3 attempts...the shipper chooses which option (it no longer defaults to 3x)

Don't think I've ever seen them make more than one. Even had a book returned to the sender a couple of months ago because the carrier either forgot to leave the slip or I didn't notice it and threw it out with the junk mail. Since I failed to collect the package at the PO, they sent it back. Definitely didn't make a second attempt.

Perhaps it varied by area or by how the local postmaster interpreted the rules.

it really is what the shipper selects...there have been 2 options for Signatures via UPS worldship software since the 2014 update (we are on 2017 update now)...1 attempt and 3 attempts...the shipper chooses which option (it no longer defaults to 3x)

Interesting. I always hand my packages in at the po and I've never been asked about whether I wanted them to make one attempt or three attempts.

They're talking about UPS (United Parcel Service), not USPS (United States Postal Sevice).

They're talking about UPS (United Parcel Service), not USPS (United States Postal Sevice).

Jeez, you're right! doh!

Ran into this today.

Real inconvenient UPS, Thanks!

And while this may be the case

I've never had a one-and-done notice before today.

Usually if the driver missed me on day one, he'd either catch me the next day or I'd sign and leave the slip telling him to leave the package at the door. Now, that's no longer an option; I'm forced to make a special trip out to the UPS store so I can get what's mine.

:pullhair:

FYI -- CGC is, apparently, not choosing the 3 day option as this was a package I was getting from them.