• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1 for auction. Guesses?
1 1

126 posts in this topic

This is one of those books that is so rarely offered for sale that I think condition is almost irrelevant.

Perhaps, but the description provided by the auction house is grossly misleading and inaccurate.

That very well may be. I never looked at the actual auction. :shy:

NG, pro restored Cgc label. I prefer Marvel Mystery #2 (rare per Overstreet) with nice 12 pgs of craft tint Subby plus the Angel, Kazar, Human Torch in full comic bk size.
(thumbs u Edited by SushiX

I prefer Marvel Mystery #2 (rare per Overstreet)...

Yeah, they've got that wrong (MM #2 is not rare).

Really? I find that its one of those books you maybe see once or twice a year come up for sale. I think Bob Storms has a copy for sale right now but good luck trying to track one down on EBay or some of the othe rmajor sites. Unless you know someone with a copy you could have to wait for 2 years to find an unrestored copy for sale.

Really? I find that its one of those books you maybe see once or twice a year come up for sale. I think Bob Storms has a copy for sale right now but good luck trying to track one down on EBay or some of the othe rmajor sites. Unless you know someone with a copy you could have to wait for 2 years to find an unrestored copy for sale.

Numerous copies have been posted on the board and I know of more copies in other collections, in addition to my own. Many are restored from what I recall.

The #5 is only listed as "scarce", but it is tougher than the "rare" #2.

Outdated info in the Guide, in my opinion...

Numerous copies have been posted on the board and I know of more copies in other collections, in addition to my own. Many are restored from what I recall.

Many people here have a less common perception of "rare".

I think the more common opinion think (myself included) think rare is any book that doesn't have at least 3 options to purchase at any time.

I know this isn't "rare" by definition etc. But books like this should be classified as something.

Ive seen maybe 5-6 for sale in the past 5 years. And only one at cons in Seattle.

I think the more common opinion think (myself included) think rare is any book that doesn't have at least 3 options to purchase at any time.

I know this isn't "rare" by definition etc. But books like this should be classified as something.

Ive seen maybe 5-6 for sale in the past 5 years. And only one at cons in Seattle.

the perspective differed if one is (like Steve and myself) who have been in the hobby for 20-30 years + and have suffered through the pre Internet days where everything hinged on getting to a show or getting a hold of the new CBG ads to see new market material. Today's instant internet and auction and texting makes everything seem accessible. Marvel Mystery 2 is certainly not an easy find but I wouldn't say rare. Ameri can speak more for this book but I think the 4 and 5 are slightly tougher but that is probably because they have higher demand covers.

Even though it's missing multiple pages and is restored?

There are only a handful known to exist (9?) If you wait for a better copy you might be waiting for a long time.

IIRC there are a couple owned by board members.

the perspective differed if one is (like Steve and myself) who have been in the hobby for 20-30 years + and have suffered through the pre Internet days where everything hinged on getting to a show or getting a hold of the new CBG ads to see new market material. Today's instant internet and auction and texting makes everything seem accessible. Marvel Mystery 2 is certainly not an easy find but I wouldn't say rare. Ameri can speak more for this book but I think the 4 and 5 are slightly tougher but that is probably because they have higher demand covers.

My experience hunting down these 2 books over the years is that Marvel 2 and Marvel 5 are about neck and neck in the scarcity department. 5 or so pop up yearly of each book. Marvel 5s pretty much always look consistent in terms of red colors, but some are dark orangey, but try to find a red Marvel 2 in hand (not deep orange...red). That's extremely rare. There's a lot of faded orange copies out there no doubt due to inks running out at the presses. Unfortunately, I've also found where scans seemed to indicate red colors when in fact the book in hand shows otherwise. I'm still looking for a red copy if anyone has one :grin:

I see the confusion now - when talking about "rare", we should be discussing just the number of copies existent, not with any "rare in unrestored" or "rare in high-grade" or "copies for sale" qualifiers.

I'll concur that Marvel Mystery 2 is rare in high-grade unrestored, but overall it is not a rare book.

MPFW 1 is rare based on the number of copies known to exist, regardless of condition.

I see the confusion now - when talking about "rare", we should be discussing just the number of copies existent, not with any "rare in unrestored" or "rare in high-grade" or "copies for sale" qualifiers.

I'll concur that Marvel Mystery 2 is rare in high-grade unrestored, but overall it is not a rare book.

MPFW 1 is rare based on the number of copies known to exist, regardless of condition.

I've tracked certain books over the last 20 years (pre and post internet) and certainly the cgc has some decent data to offer. I was just looking at cgc census numbers that I printed in 2006 and compared them with current numbers. For example (and I'll stick with Timelys) in 2006 there were 15 total copies of Marvel Mystery 5 on the census. As of this month in 2016, there are now 36 total copies. I didn't track the total copies of Marvel Mystery 2 in 2006, but there are 39 copies on the current census. During the same ten year span, 10 Suspense 3s were graded in 2006. Now there are 32 total copies. Marvel Mystery 9 had 20 copies in 2006 and today there are 45 on the census. Cap 3 had 36 copies in 2006 and now 86. USA 7 had 8 copies in 2006 and today 26. So it appears it took ten years for census numbers to double or triple--that's a testiment to the limited supply of Gold. The SA numbers reflect a similar increase in some books and more extreme in some (Avengers 1 had 629 in 2006 and 3034 today) but with larger numbers (844 AF15s in 2006 and 2,609 copies today). Generally, I've concluded that a census number of roughly 50 or less total copies is scarce.

Can you compare the availability of GA at say NYC and SDCC pre internet vs post ?

So tough! But musta been so awesome at the cons. I remember seeing lots of GA at SDCC when I went from 86-90, but I was too into 60s-80s books. /slap!