• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1 for auction. Guesses?
1 1

126 posts in this topic

On topic why the hell wouldn't they show the Subby interior pages of this?

Guess Comic Connect was in a hurry and usually just upload 2 pics max of their auction comics? Here is a sample of craft tint used on Marvel #2 compared to a regular black and white original art page from a later Marvel Mystery:

ehdXTjN.jpg

Guess Comic Connect was in a hurry and usually just upload 2 pics max of their auction comics?

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be the case - after all, it's only a rare and valuable book with significant defects, so why bother showing more pictures? (shrug)

:facepalm:

So is this book( Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1)

Is it one of those books that GA collectors claw over when a copy shows up?

It's a fascinating read if you don't know about the book.

There are only 9 or 10 (possibly 11 copies) in existence (I forget exactly how many).

They were found and their history is still a mystery as nobody has been able to fully explain what they are.

Here's a thread with a lot of discussion about MPFW #1

On topic why the hell wouldn't they show the Subby interior pages of this?

Guess Comic Connect was in a hurry and usually just upload 2 pics max of their auction comics? Here is a sample of craft tint used on Marvel #2 compared to a regular black and white original art page from a later Marvel Mystery:

I prefer the black and white. ;)

So is this book( Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1)

Is it one of those books that GA collectors claw over when a copy shows up?

It's a fascinating read if you don't know about the book.

There are only 9 or 10 (possibly 11 copies) in existence (I forget exactly how many).

They were found and their history is still a mystery as nobody has been able to fully explain what they are.

Here's a thread with a lot of discussion about MPFW #1

that was a great thread!?

I see the confusion now - when talking about "rare", we should be discussing just the number of copies existent, not with any "rare in unrestored" or "rare in high-grade" or "copies for sale" qualifiers.

I'll concur that Marvel Mystery 2 is rare in high-grade unrestored, but overall it is not a rare book.

MPFW 1 is rare based on the number of copies known to exist, regardless of condition.

I've tracked certain books over the last 20 years (pre and post internet) and certainly the cgc has some decent data to offer. I was just looking at cgc census numbers that I printed in 2006 and compared them with current numbers. For example (and I'll stick with Timelys) in 2006 there were 15 total copies of Marvel Mystery 5 on the census. As of this month in 2016, there are now 36 total copies. I didn't track the total copies of Marvel Mystery 2 in 2006, but there are 39 copies on the current census. During the same ten year span, 10 Suspense 3s were graded in 2006. Now there are 32 total copies. Marvel Mystery 9 had 20 copies in 2006 and today there are 45 on the census. Cap 3 had 36 copies in 2006 and now 86. USA 7 had 8 copies in 2006 and today 26. So it appears it took ten years for census numbers to double or triple--that's a testiment to the limited supply of Gold. The SA numbers reflect a similar increase in some books and more extreme in some (Avengers 1 had 629 in 2006 and 3034 today) but with larger numbers (844 AF15s in 2006 and 2,609 copies today). Generally, I've concluded that a census number of roughly 50 or less total copies is scarce.

Overstreet's definitions (unchanged, I think, for many years):

Scarce: 20-100 copies estimated to exist

Rare: 10-20 copies estimated to exist

Of course, in the guide he applies those definitions in, at best, a very rough and ready way. More accurate definitions might be:

Rare: Really hard to find in mid-grade or higher

Scarce: Kinda hard to find in mid-grade or higher

Why do you think comicconnect didn't get it slabbed by cgc??

For a book like this they must have felt like there was no value in it.

Yup if the book was graded would only take from the value since people buy on grade :makepoint:

Looks like we are still at 10 copies (and the current copy is coming to the market for the first time in 21 years?):

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.....................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages......................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages..................................????.............?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1....,,,,,,7.5 (SP) (FUELMAN) Crm to off white..............$12,000.00. 9/ 2000 (+ cvrs)

1..........7.5 (MP) (VintageComics) Off white pages.......$14,000.00 6/20/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.......................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

1...........raw (socal) X on cover inc. w/ proof pages added ..........$4,500 1995

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

Why do you think comicconnect didn't get it slabbed by cgc??

For a book like this they must have felt like there was no value in it.

Yup if the book was graded would only take from the value since people buy on grade :makepoint:

:flamed:

Looks like we are still at 10 copies (and the current copy is coming to the market for the first time in 21 years?):

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.....................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages......................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages..................................????.............?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1....,,,,,,7.5 (SP) (FUELMAN) Crm to off white..............$12,000.00. 9/ 2000 (+ cvrs)

1..........7.5 (MP) (VintageComics) Off white pages.......$14,000.00 6/20/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.......................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

1...........raw (socal) X on cover inc. w/ proof pages added ..........$4,500 1995

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

Could the comicconnect copy be the socal copy with the X erased? (shrug)

The X is still there :gossip:

whoops, missed that. Thanks Crow (thumbs u What Socal said in the other thread:

"I am the owner of the now 10th known copy of MPFW#1 which is the Overstreet copy. It has a big X on the front cover.I purchased the book on 3/95 from Metropolis for $4500. Many people have said it is missing pages. There are pages that are non original and are not attached but do not appear to be Xerox pages. When I purchased the book Stephen Fishler said they were press proof pages. I have no idea if that is correct and at the time I did not care I just wanted a copy. I have thought about sending it to CGC but never got around to it."

The "X" copy was reprinted in the Five Fabulous Decades of Marvel in 1991. Here's the page

filmo%20192_zpsqcmynp6l.jpg

The X is still there :gossip:

whoops, missed that. Thanks Crow (thumbs u What Socal said in the other thread:

"I am the owner of the now 10th known copy of MPFW#1 which is the Overstreet copy. It has a big X on the front cover.I purchased the book on 3/95 from Metropolis for $4500. Many people have said it is missing pages. There are pages that are non original and are not attached but do not appear to be Xerox pages. When I purchased the book Stephen Fishler said they were press proof pages. I have no idea if that is correct and at the time I did not care I just wanted a copy. I have thought about sending it to CGC but never got around to it."

The "X" copy was reprinted in the Five Fabulous Decades of Marvel in 1991. Here's the page

filmo%20192_zpsqcmynp6l.jpg

looks like the same copy in the CC auction. The subby story is all that matters.