• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1 for auction. Guesses?
1 1

126 posts in this topic

I would still rank it as 8/10 in GA importance as it is the 1st Timely even though it was 'demoted' to the promotional comic section by Overstreet. The only comparable may be the Marvel Mystery b/w 'annual' nn that has about 10 copies extant published in NYC circa 1944 and distributed in Canada. The Capt America b/w nn is a bit different as it was published in Canada for Canadian distribution.

Disclaimer: neither of these Timely b/w 'annuals' at current auction on Comic Link or Comic Connect belong to me.

So would you guys consider that in the history of comic books that this book would be up there with action 1 and tec 27 (not in value but in a historic sense)?

It's just as important as any other key from the 1930's.

The problem is the way the market has come to value books, if it wasn't sold on a newsstand or doesn't have a movie deal in the works for a half dozen films it's no longer as important.

But historically speaking, it's a monster book. Couple that with the fact that it's truly rare, I mean not just 'scarce' on paper but extremely rare due to only 10 copies existing and to me it's a must have for a collector of rare books IMO.

Maybe it's just because I collected before MPFW was discovered, but to me, even though it may be the "real" first appearance of Subby, MC #1 is the "true" first appearance of Subby.

There have been many Golden Age keys I coveted over the years, but never had any interest in it whatsoever...

Maybe it's just because I collected before MPFW was discovered, but to me, even though it may be the "real" first appearance of Subby, MC #1 is the "true" first appearance of Subby.

There have been many Golden Age keys I coveted over the years, but never had any interest in it whatsoever...

if I had funds,I would go crazy on this comic.

I love GA covers but it would be great to own something so historically important.

I 100% agree that it is a historic book, but if I were looking to buy this book, many others I would buy before this one like:

All-Winners 1, 6, 8

Marvel Mystery 36, 44, 46

etc, etc,etc

Was reviewing my Overstreet 1989-90. At that time, MPFW (1939; good $ 2,500, 8 copies suspected extant ) was ranked 3 stars in comics history :golfclap: importance the same as:

Detective Comics #1 1937 gd $ 1,550.

More Fun 52, 53 (Spectre, 1940). #52 gd $ 1,285

4 Color #4 Donald Duck, 1940, gd $ 300.

Sub-mariner #1 1941, gd $ 371.

Four Color #16 Mickey Mouse, 1941. gd $270.

Marvel Mystery #9 Torch vs Subby was ranked scarce with 1 star. gd $ 288

Marvel Comics #1 (1939, gd $ 4,200) ranked at 5 stars the same ranking as

Detective #27, gd $ 3,850.

I used Overstreet good for price comparisons, as we would be glad to find an unrestored <3 good these days.

I guess similar to how many collectors still consider Adventure 40 to be the "true" first appearance of the Sandman, even though the "real" first appearance is actually in NY World's Fair 1939. hm

Overstreet seems to think MPFW was the April, 1939 missing link between :hi: Will Eisner's work on 4 issues of Western Picture Stories (1937) and Bill Everett's Amazing-Man #5 (1st non-humor Centaur hero, Sept, 1939). Next was Marvel Comics #1 1st Timely <3 October, 1939.

Wq8zh7k.jpg

Edited by aardvark88