• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What other celebrities collect (or collected) comic books?

114 posts in this topic

Artist Ty Templeton told us at the show this weekend that Kiefer Sutherland (24) is a comic book fan.

Dave Thomas (SCTV) is a comic book fan. He used to buy a lot of silver age DCs (specifically Superman).

So is Colin Mochrie (Whose Line Is It Anyway?).

Robin Williams has been known to collect comics and toys (with his sons).

Watched Million Dollar Baby last night. Anyone else catch that the Morgan Freeman character, Scrap, was an avid CrossGen reader? He was reading a Mystic and another comic you couldn't see the cover to but was a CG due to the MegaCon ad on the back. Instead of CrossGen, I would have given him an issue of Spidey Super Stories with Easy Reader on the cover... smirk.gif

Jim

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm sorry if I repeat. But in the last 4 years I've sold comics to:

"Weird" Al Yankovic

Sean Lennon (John's son)

Michelle Shocked

Kathy Griffin

Bobby Slayton

Paul Giamatti

and some of the other "Big" names i'm vertain were mentioned earlier!

This doesn't cover the 11 years before that when my store was open, or the years before even that when I had started at SD.

screwy.gif

Seems NFL uber-agent Drew Rosenhaus is a comic fan. Today's ESPN cover story on him has this passage:

Perhaps it is more revealing that Rosenhaus, 38, has always identified with superheroes.

They occupy an entire wall of his upstairs bedroom: Spiderman, Batman, The Incredible Hulk, etc. Thousands of Marvel Comics are stacked neatly in his closet.

"Why am I infatuated with them?" Rosennhaus asked. "Because they do good. They do great things. Duh! That's what I want to do. That's what I'm trying to do."

Seth Green per board member 'dem1138'.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post661828

Apparently he's more than a collector. He co-created a new Top Cow comic called "The Freshmen". Read about it in CSN.

TF.jpg

Here's an interesting article about Seth... 27_laughing.gif

http://www.scrypticstudios.com/index.php/articles/540

there was this rocker on mtv cribs.. can't recall the name but he was a guitar player and he had alot of comic books in mylar bags in a fire proof cabinet... he pulled out a spiderman # 1 and said it was worth 25 k...but he was serious about his collection....

there was this rocker on mtv cribs.. can't recall the name but he was a guitar player and he had alot of comic books in mylar bags in a fire proof cabinet... he pulled out a spiderman # 1 and said it was worth 25 k...but he was serious about his collection....

Think you're talking about Sebastian Bach (formerly of Skid Row). It was actually a fairly worn copy of AF #15 that he pulled out of his fire proof cabinet. I got the distinct impression that he didn't care much for collecting high grade.

Think you're talking about Sebastian Bach (formerly of Skid Row). It was actually a fairly worn copy of AF #15 that he pulled out of his fire proof cabinet. I got the distinct impression that he didn't care much for collecting high grade.

It was Sebastian Bach on MTV Cribs. He is not a HG collector. Hell I would be happy with a beat-up copy of AF#15.

Q: I hear you're into comic books.

Sebastian Bach: Yes! I have thousands of comics. Specifically silver age Marvel. I have Amazing Fantasy #15: the first appearance of Spider-Man--it's worth 30 grand. I bought Hulk # 3 in Germany on tour. I have all the X-Men where they change costumes, and each one is worth thousands and thousands--I bought all those when I was little, right off the stand for 20 cents. When I was a kid, me and my friend Andrew had a tree fort and we'd go up there and put all our comics in plastic bags and keep 'em perfect. I didn't know they'd be worth anything, but man--good [embarrasing lack of self control] thinking. I get the price guide and [embarrasing lack of self control], and I just laugh--my wife can't believe it. One of the most valuable things I have is my comic collection.

If you were forced at gunpoint to have a three-way with two comic book characters and one had to be a man, who would they be?

Sebastian Bach: I'd have to say Valkyrie from the Defenders--she was in' hot. I find it somewhat weird that I get turned on by a comic book character, but anyway... Oh, I forgot, Cherry Poptart. You should pick up one of those--they're X-rated, but she's a little minx. Or Gwen Stacy, who the Green Goblin killed in Spider-Man #101 I think, or maybe #99--I can't remember the exact issue. Green Goblin threw her off a bridge--she was absolutely awesome. So that's three chicks, and then one of them has to be a man? Huh... Oh, it definitely has to be Mr. Fantastic. Reed Richards, from the Fantastic Four. He has the ability to stretch any part of his body as big, long, or wide as he wants. I'd like to see some party tricks with that [embarrasing lack of self control].

Seems NFL uber-agent Drew Rosenhaus is a comic fan. Today's ESPN cover story on him has this passage:

Perhaps it is more revealing that Rosenhaus, 38, has always identified with superheroes.

They occupy an entire wall of his upstairs bedroom: Spiderman, Batman, The Incredible Hulk, etc. Thousands of Marvel Comics are stacked neatly in his closet.

"Why am I infatuated with them?" Rosennhaus asked. "Because they do good. They do great things. Duh! That's what I want to do. That's what I'm trying to do."

Another reference to Drew Rosenhaus' comic collection from an article in the Washington Post:

"But there was nothing controversial earlier in July when Rosenhaus, a lifeguard one summer while he was in college, used CPR to revive a 4-year-old boy who wasn't breathing and had no pulse after being pulled from a pool at an Orlando hotel. For one day, Rosenhaus said, he got to be like one of the superheroes in his prized comic-book collection."

*Gene Simmons not only collects comics, but as a youth he put out a fanzine called Cosmos Stiletto, in the early 60's I think.

*I think Jada Pinkett-Smith reads comics. Didn't she write a comic a couple of years ago for an independent company?

*I think businessman and media mogul Stan Lee used to be involved in comics... poke2.gif

In the August Maxim, William Sanderson (E.B. on Deadwood, Larry on Newhart) says he is a "closet comic book reader" and has heard that Al Franken still reads them as well.