• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, lotemo said:

Here's another impressive price.  Nellie

This is also another book with what I believe is a Dan DeCarlo cover.  Nellie has his trademark hips and lips from that era.

I wanted that one and thought my $378 snipe would take it down. Things have definitely changed in a hurry. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I suspect DeCarlo may have done every Nellie cover from issue #19 thru #27. Not positive though.

I would agree.  #22 through 27 in particular are almost identical in style to his Millie books from that time period.  The goofy faced patient on #18 also was characteristic of DeCarlo.   Unfortunately, I'm not sure that anyone ever confirmed any of this with him while he was still alive.  

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

jonesy6.jpg

Nice Jonesy's @MrBedrock

@Sqeggs yes, not as 'common' as Candy (which had a longer run than this series and Gabby at 7 to 8 issues apiece I believe). Aside from the one I posted , I have another issue plus one I just picked up last week (from a boardie I believe) on eBay on the way. 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Mailman brought me another Binky! I was very surprised to get this for the opening bid on the bay.

comleaveittobinky34.jpg

I think there is only about four of us people who collect them Binkies !!! i like em too (thumbsu

Edited by 1950's war comics

On 1/21/2018 at 1:08 PM, 1950's war comics said:

I think there is only about four of us people who collect them Binkies !!! i like em too (thumbsu

I like them, too, but only have a handful.  I suppose that if I gradually accumulate enough of them, it might inspire me to do the whole run.  Some issues are very tough, though, I think. 

I was wondering what's the equivalent of a soda shoppe for kids these days. They were ubiquitous  in teen humor comics back in the day.  They were still around when I was a kid, but seem to have disappeared. Most ice cream places don't really encourage sitting around anymore.  When I was a teen in the 70s, we'd hang out at a Friendly's, drinking endless cups of coffee for 40 cents, and sometimes buying a dish of ice cream or a sundae,  which was close to a being a soda shoppe, but  my kids (17 and 21) grew up either getting stuff to go (Starbucks) or going to someplace like California Pizza Kitchen, ordering cheap specials and loitering in the booth for an hour or so, drinking free soda refills.  It doesn't seem to have the appeal of the soda fountain.  Plus the one that was a block from me when I was around 10 also sold comic books, making the trip doubly worthwhile. 

Edited by rjpb