• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

I love these books, but still find myself shaking my head at some of the prices! I remember Overstreet 8 well, and while it seems there was a lull here and there demand-wise for GGA in the decades since, the current feeding frenzy surely eclipses that one by far.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't know.  One downside of having several books in a lot rather than listing them individually is that you typically get a full cover shot of just one book.  For the rest, you have to rely on the letter grade they assign, along with (occasionally) the noting of a significant defect. I could see this deterring some bidders -- it's deterred me sometimes.

And, of course, somebody who wants only a single book from the lot and who might have paid a high price for it, may not bid at all because he doesn't want to get stuck paying for the other books. 

That would be logical, but group prices seem to indicate otherwise, at least on Heritage. It's similar sometimes with lots on ebay that have one or two highly desirable books, but just a general description, with just photos of 2 or 4 books at a time. Bidders start overestimating the rest of the lot's value, and cross fingers that the books they really want don't have unseen problems, and end up paying top dollar for everything, assuming they can piece out what they don't want or more common books for that amount on resale.

I recall a few years ago bidding on a small group of low grade early DC superhero books on ebay ( Adventure, All-American, etc.). I figured out the seller had picked them up individually at ebay auction in the two months before for a total of around $1200. Sure enough the entire lot ended up selling for closer to 2 grand. 

It doesn't always work, I've seen group listings go cheap as well, but generally if it's in demand stuff, there's a chance the whole lot sells at a high price.

A lot of these "lot" sales are very carefully thought out. I have a friend that has run a number of them on ebay. He will list about 20 say pch books at a time. Mostly low grade with a lot of lessors books and titles mixed in. He will mix a couple of pretty decent books slid in "randomly" in the photos with a minimal description. Not exactly lying but not exactly telling the whole truth either. He relys on the greed of gambling bidders. It usually works out VERY well for him. A lot of people tend to get jumpy at auctions. Bad way to buy funny books usually...

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

That would be logical, but group prices seem to indicate otherwise, at least on Heritage. It's similar sometimes with lots on ebay that have one or two highly desirable books, but just a general description, with just photos of 2 or 4 books at a time. Bidders start overestimating the rest of the lot's value, and cross fingers that the books they really want don't have unseen problems, and end up paying top dollar for everything, assuming they can piece out what they don't want or more common books for that amount on resale.

I recall a few years ago bidding on a small group of low grade early DC superhero books on ebay ( Adventure, All-American, etc.). I figured out the seller had picked them up individually at ebay auction in the two months before for a total of around $1200. Sure enough the entire lot ended up selling for closer to 2 grand. 

It doesn't always work, I've seen group listings go cheap as well, but generally if it's in demand stuff, there's a chance the whole lot sells at a high price.

Kind of a winner's curse, I guess.

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A lot of these "lot" sales are very carefully thought out. I have a friend that has run a number of them on ebay. He will list about 20 say pch books at a time. Mostly low grade with a lot of lessors books and titles mixed in. He will mix a couple of pretty decent books slid in "randomly" in the photos with a minimal description. Not exactly lying but not exactly telling the whole truth either. He relys on the greed of gambling bidders. It usually works out VERY well for him. A lot of people tend to get jumpy at auctions. Bad way to buy funny books usually...

hm

4 hours ago, path4play said:

Double posting here, cause belongs on this thread and I like it.:bigsmile:

7252018010.jpg

I love it, too.  Unfortunately, it looks like it's a bit Newton ringy. 

56 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Every single book coming back now is that way from what I have seen. 

It's all the fault of one guy doing the encapsulating!  It's just that one guy, I tell ya! :insane:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Every single book coming back now is that way from what I have seen. 

Not every book thankfully. Yes I know they aren't teen humor but these are recent submissions that don't appear to have the issue

allamerican89.thumb.jpg.cbcf939a43d62c0aaf0d6530c4b8f39f.jpg

superduper3.thumb.jpg.f1e9b69d3373a8924ba8945205dde563.jpg

Edited by archiefan

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes indeed, but I try and not let that dampen my glee for the book.  I actually considered the Newton's on this one pretty good compared to a few others I received.:/  

On 7/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, archiefan said:

Not every book thankfully. Yes I know they aren't teen humor but these are recent submissions that don't appear to have the issue

Are they in the thicker slabs?  Those seem to avoid the problem.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:37 PM, archiefan said:

Love that AA #89! First Harlequin and oh so tough. A bit overlooked I think. I consider myself lucky to have a lower grade copy at all. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Love that AA #89! First Harlequin and oh so tough. A bit overlooked I think. I consider myself lucky to have a lower grade copy at all. (thumbsu

Thanks RM - was lucky enough to find a nice collection of DCs, Timelys and oddball stuff from the mid to late 40s in FN-VF grade. A lot headed to CLink.

Back to Teen Humor - was also lucky to get this one recently

starlet1a.jpg.b050e11a53548b6a6a21b235f8fba351.jpg

16 hours ago, archiefan said:

Thanks RM - was lucky enough to find a nice collection of DCs, Timelys and oddball stuff from the mid to late 40s in FN-VF grade. A lot headed to CLink.

Back to Teen Humor - was also lucky to get this one recently

starlet1a.jpg.b050e11a53548b6a6a21b235f8fba351.jpg

Really nice copy of a tough book.