• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 GGA books
4 4

308 posts in this topic

fightingyank21.jpg

Absolutely love this classic Schomburg lingerie cover! :cloud9:

For the longest time, I have always thought this particular issue to be both highly underappreciated from a GGA point of view and also highly undervalued at the same time. (shrug)

Especially when Overstreet used to always have this issue guiding at a much lower price than all of its surrounding issues, up until a few years ago. Never could figure that one out. meh

One I don't think was represented here yet. Although, I am not sure this girl could be qualified as "good"

IMG_0168.jpgfree image host

Ah, you raise an interesting point. Does GGA refer to art that depicts good girls or good art that depicts girls (said girls being either good, bad, or middling)? I once stumped even the omniscient Gator with that question! :D

One I don't think was represented here yet. Although, I am not sure this girl could be qualified as "good"

IMG_0168.jpgfree image host

Ah, you raise an interesting point. Does GGA refer to art that depicts good girls or good art that depicts girls (said girls being either good, bad, or middling)? I once stumped even the omniscient Gator with that question! :D

I've always assumed the adjective, "good", is intended to describe the quality of the art, not the quality of the girl.

I've always assumed the adjective, "good", is intended to describe the quality of the art, not the quality of the girl.

Same here. Otherwise, how do you account for all the saucy "bad" girls in Crimes By Women, Women Outlaws, etc... ;)

From Wikipedia:

Richard A. Lupoff defined good girl art as:

A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress

From Wikipedia:

A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress

Yes, it's possible that "good" can be used in an ironic sense when referring to a gun moll type. So, we have art depicting good girls and art depicting "good" (= bad) girls. Some of the Fox covers have lousy girl art: LGA. The girls are fine, but the art's bad. :D

From Wikipedia:

Yes, it's possible that "good" can be used in an ironic sense when referring to a gun moll type. So, we have art depicting good girls and art depicting "good" (= bad) girls. Some of the Fox covers have lousy girl art: LGA. The girls are fine, but the art's bad. :D

Let's continue this discussion over in my new "Top 10 GGA Definitions" thread. :banana:

From Wikipedia:

Which Fox era/genre are you referring to? Any specific covers come to mind?

From Wikipedia:

This is a pretty good definition, I'd also go further in that the young woman in question should be the primary focus of the composition as well. I see a lot of books described as having a GGA cover (particularly on ebay), just because there is a shapely female somewhere on the cover. The cheesecake factor is important as well, as their are plenty of books with attractive females on the cover that aren't what I'd consider GGA. We're talking about the objectification of women here, folks, let's stay focused!

From Wikipedia:

Which Fox era/genre are you referring to? Any specific covers come to mind?

A lot of them! Here's one (not my book -- taken from the HA archives, apologies to the owner!):

lf_zpsueyi3465.jpg