• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 GGA books
4 4

308 posts in this topic

This conversation started over in another thread and so not to too much on that thread I thought it best to start another one here. And we know it is impossible to come up with a definitive list but if you have a top 10 list this will be a fine place to put it. This all came about through discussing where Cindy 37 would fall on the list.

It seems GGA books are pretty in demand now and more people are joining the party. I am, in fact, a latecomer myself.

Anyone have their list or thoughts on the topic go ahead and share.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

This conversation started over in another thread and so not to too much on that thread I thought it best to start another one here. And we know it is impossible to come up with a definitive list but if you have a top 10 list this will be a fine place to put it. This all came about through discussing where Cindy 37 would fall on the list.

It seems GGA books are pretty in demand now and more people are joining the party. I am, in fact, a latecomer myself.

Anyone have their list or thoughts on the topic go ahead and share.

Ah ha - but first the rules.

Since I contend that Cindy #37 (in said prior thread) stands out due it's uniqueness I think it's only fair that the Top 10 list can not include two examples of the same artist or title. In other words the list should entirely include unique artists and titles (not include 5 Baker's and 5 Jo-Jo's for example).

Here is my list, in alphabetical order.

Cindy Comics #37 - Artist Unknown

Hickory #3 - Harry Sahle

Jo-Jo Comics #11 - Jack Kamen

Junior #15 - Al Feldstein

Millie the Model #22 - Dan DeCarlo

Phantom Lady #17 - Matt Baker

Planet Comics #65 - Joe Doolin

Startling Comics #47 - Alex Schomburg

Spirit #22 - Will Eisner

Suzie Comics #51 - Al Fagaly

Torchy #5 - Bill Ward

Honorable Mentions:

Air Fighters Vol. 2 #2 - Fred Kida

Boy Comics #11 - Charles Biro

Dagar #22 - Edmond Good

Ernie Comics #25 - Mike Suchorsky

Famous Funnies #209 - Frank Frazetta

Fight Comics #39 - Lily Renee

Willie Comics #15 - Artist Unknown

ZIP Comics #18 - Irv Novick

Very tough, lot of close calls and hair splitting within the Fiction House titles, Jack Kamen covers...

Surely I've overlooked something? I was, edited to include Sprit #22 - now I have elven in the top 10 :makepoint:

Edited by path4play

Archie 50...(Montana)

Phantom Lady 17... (Baker)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

True Love Pictorial 11... Baker

one of the Juniors...Feldstein

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54...Kamen

Giant Comics Edition #12 Diary Secrets Baker

ok that's one to many Bakers...can you blame me?

In no particular order.

Junior 15

Cindy 37

Rangers 26

Archie 50

Seven Seas 4

Phantom Lady 23

Wings 90

Patsy Walker 1

Giant Comics Edition 12

Brenda Starr 14

I don't care a lot for the Jungle related GGA as much, it just that it seems so common and pretty much every cover rings the same to me.

Edited by Junkdrawer

Okay, I know I am bing a bit of an A-hole here, but personally I think it would be awesome if there were some pics posted to go with the cover discussion.

Agreed Batman. I am still trying to figure mine out. Not being able to have more than 2 of any artist or title is throwing me off. Cindy 37 may have to make my top 10 under that rule.

Archie 50...(Montana)

Phantom Lady 17 23... (Baker) (Kamen)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54 52...Kamen

Don't you hate these lazy hazy crazy Sundays when you are still half asleep while tying away.

Fixed up a couple of typos in your list for you and it looks like the Wings 90 :blush: must have fallen off your list as you have only 9 books there. Looks like you also no longer have a Baker problem. (thumbs ulol

How do they say it? This thread ain't nothing without pictures or something??

I don't collect GGA covers, but I'd like to see what what's what... Also, if it's BEST GGA COVERS, you have to allow multiple covers by same artist. Otherwise it's a list of the BEST GGA ARTISTS' BEST COVERS.

Under the Rules we have established I have it down to 14 right now. Still have 4 to cut :facepalm:

I know there are at least 4-5 majors I am forgetting right now. Also I AM ONLY PICKING FROM BOOKS I CURRENTLY HAVE. That is just my own choice.

Oh dang! Forgot PL 23. Well, gotta add that.

Oh man! Forgot BB 52. Well, I gotta go back to the drawing board.

mppI8Hvm.jpgdfyCkEWm.jpgUXnjksfm.jpgGekmhwfm.jpg1KSJpxom.jpgtsdp8pXm.jpgdJSI94bm.jpg8uPJJeVm.jpgdOnsoAVm.jpgIxCU1dhm.jpgNWFp60im.jpgSaNqm7Em.jpg

vFpo1akm.jpg61I4Qa4m.jpg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Archie 50...(Montana)

Phantom Lady 17 23... (Baker) (Kamen)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54 52...Kamen

Don't you hate these lazy hazy crazy Sundays when you are still half asleep while tying away.

Fixed up a couple of typos in your list for you and it looks like the Wings 90 :blush: must have fallen off your list as you have only 9 books there. Looks like you also no longer have a Baker problem. (thumbs ulol

Lou, in regard to Ken Bald, I contacted Michael Vassallo publisher of the Timely-Atlas-Comics blog and he told me that while the majority of Cindy's appearances were drawn by Ken Bald, #37, "that's a strange cover that features an artist who is not one of the usual suspects." After some thought, he believes the cover artist is Earl James.

Archie 50...(Montana)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54...Kamen

Dagar 14 is not Kamen. For a delightful Kamen Dagar cover check out 21.

If Vadeboncuer is correct PL 17 is by Feldstein which would result in only 2 Bakers in your list.

Archie 50...(Montana)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54...Kamen

If Vadeboncuer is correct PL 17 is by Feldstein which would result in only 2 Bakers in your list.

All Great Comics #13 (Dagar's first appearance) by Kamen is also worthy of a look:

292016fix-749x1024.jpg

Not sure if I had to choose just one that Rangers 26 and me all alone on an island would be most content. Like other GGA books, you never realize how much you like them until you've had a copy and sold it and needed it back. That such desire can be measured. Some books you won't ever care to have again, yet some will cause separation anxiety. Having said that, I think I have had about 4-5 low grade copies of Rangers 26. This copy here is my highest ever and a true keeper. Just purchased last week here on the boards, I expect it's in transit right now. The cover is suspenseful like a comic cover should be. It is also unique form of demise. I mean the are multiple covers of girls strapped to bombs, planes, props of planes, wheels of death etc. yet no such imitation of getting flown into and food processed by a full tilt propeller. Oh and I just love how the straps of her parachute fit and contour :cloud9:. This cover is a must have to any GGA collector and it will always forever be in my collection.

Scan%2076_zps2uzgmecr.jpeg

Archie 50...(Montana)

Cindy 37.... (Bald)

Rangers 26.... Doolin

Dagar 14... Kaman

Blue Beetle 54...Kamen

Yes, Dagar 14 is by an artist named Damond.

Doesn't really matter since I took care of his PL 17 pick for him. Actually, PL 16 looks pretty delectable to me. I remember just missing out on an uber HG copy of this book by just a few hours. Probably for the best since it was a Mark Wilson book and probably would have come back as a PLOD with today's grading system, although you never really know sometimes with Mark's books (shrug)

Under the Rules we have established I have it down to 14 right now. Still have 4 to cut :facepalm:

I know there are at least 4-5 majors I am forgetting right now. Also I AM ONLY PICKING FROM BOOKS I CURRENTLY HAVE. That is just my own choice.

Oh dang! Forgot PL 23. Well, gotta add that.

Oh man! Forgot BB 52. Well, I gotta go back to the drawing board.

mppI8Hvm.jpgdfyCkEWm.jpgUXnjksfm.jpgGekmhwfm.jpg1KSJpxom.jpgtsdp8pXm.jpgdJSI94bm.jpg8uPJJeVm.jpgdOnsoAVm.jpgIxCU1dhm.jpgNWFp60im.jpgSaNqm7Em.jpg

vFpo1akm.jpg61I4Qa4m.jpg

I forgot Ginger, Cow Puncher #7 and your Archie's Girls (I prefer this to Archie #50 for some reason?). But, technically CP#7 and Archie's Girls have code seals... Did we forget to establish pre-code only in the rules? Sorry doh!