• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 3:12 PM, jimjum12 said:

The first part, to me, was so immersive that it seemed it had only been on a half hour. The continuation was an unexpected disappointment, but that's the drawback with my spoiler free no-reviewing approach. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a feriend of jesus)(thumbsu

If you get a chance (if you haven't), watch the 'making of' videos.

It's incredible the level research and attention to details. Along with logical engineering when it comes to the design of the ornithopters. Dedication would be putting it lightly.

•  Dune 's re-release has made $30 million globally.
  •  Dune has grossed $433 million worldwide overall.
  •  Dune: Part 2 , with a star-studded cast, is projected to make $65 to 80 million in its domestic debut.

Since its re-launch, director Denis Villeneuve’s science-fiction epic has generated $30 million worldwide, which has taken its cumulative global haul to $433 million. Of this, around $109 million has come from domestic theaters, while the remaining $325 million has come from overseas markets. Released in 2021, at a far more concerning time during the pandemic, Dune concluded its original run with just over $400 million globally, against a reported budget of $165 million.

i have tried multiple times to watch this movie but struggle in the first 15 minutes (similar to 300)

movie looks great, great cast and director but something doesn't click with me

any suggestions on how to make more digestable?

On 2/20/2024 at 5:40 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i have tried multiple times to watch this movie but struggle in the first 15 minutes (similar to 300)

https://www.youtube.com/@QuinnsIdeas

Quinn's Ideas is a Youtube channel that does an incredible job of capturing all things Dune. Including researching the history of this fictional universe. To include reviewing the SYFY Channel's Dune series.

If you give his channel a try to warm your brain up to this series, it help get you over the hump having no familiarity with this book series (I'm assuming - sorry if I am wrong).

He even summarizes the different houses ruling this universe, their history and motivations, and why they experience conflicts.

Did you like the original?

Skip the 1st 15 mins?  

On 2/20/2024 at 6:01 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i never watched it, is that a good place to start - i'll check out the Bosco suggestions as well

I may be in the minority but I hated the originial one.  It really made me think long and hard about seeing the new one.  However I gave in and went to the new Dune and was absolutely thrilled.

Edited by media_junkie

i never watched it, is that a good place to start - i'll check out the Bosco suggestions as well

It may give you the basic concepts of the story. I have the Extended Steelbook that I found at a flea market (didn't even know this existed). This gives you like 30-40 minutes extra of the film.

DVD DUNE Extended Edition Steelbook + Inserts Very Good Sci-Fi David Lynch  | eBay

But the 2021 version is so much more immerssive and complete when it comes to telling the first part of the story. So this sequel should be quite action-packaged, intense and a wild experience when that part of the first book comes together. Then once that is done Dune Messiah (the second book) will be the third movie.

Edited by Bosco685

Yes. It's pretty easy to follow and had well known actors from the time. Also Sting from "The Police" and Pugs. 

Screenshot_20240220-181108_Google.jpg

Even better - check with your local library if they can get the SYFY Channel Dune and Children of Dune DVDs. Much better telling of the complete story.

Although I just realized at least the first movie is on Youtube.

ok i tried to watch the original but was too distracted etc and stopped about 15 minutes in

however those 15 minutes help explain the first 15 minutes of the new one, so i went back to it and rewatched it and really focused

2 hours later i was enjoying it but had to stopped because i had something pressing to do

finished last night and now cannot wait to see part 2

fantastic movie, well made, excellent acting, great great great!

On 3/4/2024 at 4:14 PM, jsilverjanet said:

ok i tried to watch the original but was too distracted etc and stopped about 15 minutes in

however those 15 minutes help explain the first 15 minutes of the new one, so i went back to it and rewatched it and really focused

2 hours later i was enjoying it but had to stopped because i had something pressing to do

I've gotten through the first few words. Please give me a little longer and I will follow up. Someday.

:baiting:

On 2/20/2024 at 5:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

Even better - check with your local library if they can get the SYFY Channel Dune and Children of Dune DVDs. Much better telling of the complete story.

Although I just realized at least the first movie is on Youtube.

Still the most accurate adaptation to date.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:14 PM, jsilverjanet said:

My opinion is the original had more life, color and spark than Dune 1.  The acting wasn't the greatest but I also thoroughly enjoyed it.

On 3/5/2024 at 4:28 AM, s-man said:

My opinion is the original had more life, color and spark than Dune 1.  The acting wasn't the greatest but I also thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm still going to check out because I love David Lynch