• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have watched the movie about 10 times.

3 in theater, a whole bunch at home.

episode 2 should really be good.  I read the book every couple years but I read the end more often, when emperor thinks he's comin to crush the fremen and-WHOOPS.

Watched Dune for the first time last night, at home on blu ray. Agree with most of the comments about Dune being visually stunning and desrving of at least a couple of oscars. I thought the film was faithful to the book and had my attention for the full 2-1/2 hours. Two minor quibbles. I had to turn the sound down and watch with sub-titles and some of Paul's dreams (or visions) were a tad tedious (at times I thought I was watching a remake of Star Wars). Looking forward to part 2. (thumbsu

On 2/13/2022 at 7:34 AM, mrc said:

Watched Dune for the first time last night, at home on blu ray. Agree with most of the comments about Dune being visually stunning and desrving of at least a couple of oscars. I thought the film was faithful to the book and had my attention for the full 2-1/2 hours. Two minor quibbles. I had to turn the sound down and watch with sub-titles and some of Paul's dreams (or visions) were a tad tedious (at times I thought I was watching a remake of Star Wars). Looking forward to part 2. (thumbsu

• Dune (1965)
  • Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (1976)

Sometimes after it takes years for an influential book to be seen right on the big screen, it can seem like it is catching up with later stories it inspired from other creators.

Brolin posted a Twitter video where he saluted Legendary, Warner Bros., and “everybody” who recently secured Oscar nominations for their work on the Frank Herbert adaptation. Once he was done praising the team, he then went on to slam what he saw as “the unbelievable, almost numbing, flummoxing” snub of the film’s director, Denis Villeneuve. Here is what he had to say:

“It’s just one of those things that you just go, ‘Huh? What?!‘ I don’t know how you get 10 nominations and then the guy who’s done the impossible with that book doesn’t get nominated. It makes you realize that it’s all amazing and then it’s all f***ing totally dumb. So, congratulations for the amazing accomplishments that these incredibly talented people have been acknowledged for, because it’s all really, really dumb.”

Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic Dune was the big winner at the 20th Visual Effects Society Awards, collecting four trophies including the night’s top award for outstanding VFX in a photoreal feature.

Tuesday at the Beverly Hilton, Dune, from Legendary and Warner Bros. additionally earned awards for models, effects simulations and compositing. The award for outstanding VFX–which was presented by Villeneuve–went to Dune‘s production VFX supervisor and two-time Oscar winner Paul Lambert, VFX producer Brice Parker, special effects supervisor Gerd Nefzer, and DNEG VFX supervisors Tristan Myles and Brian Connor. DNEG was the lead VFX studio on Dune.