• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic book show can you recommend for 2017?

42 posts in this topic

I'm looking to see which good show or con I can go for one day or two days in 2017 from spring season to fall season in range. I got lot of airmiles in my account to use for free flights before they expires on Dec 31st. I can go anywhere in Canada or in the States.

I am not going for mega cons like Wizard or ones that have few comic book dealers. I have in mind to buy as many books I can buy within my budget to take with me home. In other words I am more interested in going a nice con or show with lots of comic books to view and buy.

I will need enough time to schedule a trip, create budget for buying comic books, and make arrangements. I do have my job so I need to put my days off in advance ahead. My comic book budget will be in the 4 digits.

This is just something I am considering to make good use of my airmiles, to make it worth my time.

So, anyone know of a good show around? (thumbs u

Terry O Neill's California Comic Con in January in Yorba Linda, California. The best one day show. This is a true "comic book" show. I mean if you can get Harley Yee out there for a one day show, it's gotta be good. :headbang:

Yeah, I had been eyeing this show since its first premiere opening. I want to go there. But you say in January? Too soon for me. I want something by date after spring season to fall season. I need enough time to stock up my budget and schedule a trip.

If you know of a date for sure. Let me know. Thanks

While it is a Wizard show, you really ought to consider Wizard World Chicago in late August. It is always a great show for books.

I would second this...if you can go to only one show a year, WWChicago would be THE show.

Jim

+ 1

I always judge a show by the amount of quality buying I am able to do.

If I tally what I spend at Baltimore AND Heroes, it might come close to what I spend in Chicago.

While it is a Wizard show, you really ought to consider Wizard World Chicago in late August. It is always a great show for books.

I would second this...if you can go to only one show a year, WWChicago would be THE show.

Jim

+ 1

I always judge a show by the amount of quality buying I am able to do.

If I tally what I spend at Baltimore AND Heroes, it might come close to what I spend in Chicago.

Exactly George...plus if the OP is looking to network with the community and enjoy the social aspect of the hobby, then it makes this show even stronger.

Jim

Hmm... good option. WWChicago in late August? What dates? hm

I have landed at this airport once. But never visited the city. I'll put this one on list.

Then there is the little show in California. :baiting: I need to know the dates for 2017.

I have never been to Heroes or Baltimore but have heard nothing but great things buying wise about both. I can vouch for the August Chicago show though. Seemed liked I just walked around with my wallet in my hand for two days. Best buying show I've ever been to.

Here is the link for Terry's show in Jan

http://www.calcomiccon.com/main.aspx

I can't reccomend this one enough. Dealers fly in from all over the country to buy and sell. Tons of great material here. It is, however, only a one day show but the best one day show I've ever been to.

Just to be clear ... I have to book a flight to use airmiles before December 31st. Once past that deadline, I lose over 6,000 airmiles. I gotta use up as much I can! So I think I have enough for 2 trips in 2017.

I have California comic show on January 27th. Not enough time to come up funds what I need to buy. Is there other dates after that?

I have landed at this airport once. But never visited the city. I'll put this one on list.

Then there is the little show in California. :baiting: I need to know the dates for 2017.

WW Chicago is August 24-27 (Thursday night through Sunday). The convention center is adjacent to O'Hare, so if you fly in there the trip is quite easy.

Don't know the San Diego dates off the top of my head, but I just bumped the thread earlier today...

EDIT: July 19-23 for SDCC.

Dallas is first weekend in April.... They're combining the Feb and June to make it in April to secure

"better" guests, none listed yet except guy from rocky horror lol but you probably want more solid suggestions with a reputation (thumbs u Dallas is probably as far as Chicago from wherever you are if you need to use the same amount of "miles"

Dallas is first weekend in April.... They're combining the Feb and June to make it in April to secure

"better" guests, none listed yet except guy from rocky horror lol but you probably want more solid suggestions with a reputation (thumbs u Dallas is probably as far as Chicago from wherever you are if you need to use the same amount of "miles"

He's looking for comic shopping, not guests, so I'd still strongly favor Chicago over Dallas (though Fan Expo is still a good show).

WW Chicago is August 24-27 (Thursday night through Sunday). The convention center is adjacent to O'Hare, so if you fly in there the trip is quite easy.

Don't know the San Diego dates off the top of my head, but I just bumped the thread earlier today...

EDIT: July 19-23 for SDCC.

The problem with SDCC is the prospect of not being able to get a ticket. If you are going to buy old comics this show is just OK nowdays. As a pop culture event in a beautiful city it can't be beat.

I'm biased, but having been to all the major conventions in the country over the past 40 years, the only big shows that are comic book conventions any more are Baltimore and Charlotte. Either would be fine. I do know that the promoters for Baltimore are planning some really cool stuff.