• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is theartistschoice doing a sale again this year?

92 posts in this topic

When you click on the "whats new" tab though it states that the Annual Sale is beginning on the 15th

Initially, I thought so too. Then I noticed it says "What's New 12/15/15", which would make the the 15th of December 2015, and not 2016.

When you click on the "whats new" tab though it states that the Annual Sale is beginning on the 15th

Initially, I thought so too. Then I noticed it says "What's New 12/15/15", which would make the the 15th of December 2015, and not 2016.

Wow....missed that....what a mess

The site was never down for me, I just kept getting the announcement/countdown redirect page (which I'm still getting). I've never known one of his sales to start "on time". I usually just check it on and off throughout the day starting on the date that he announced. It'll probably be updated within a few days. We go through this every year, and we all understand the limitations and we all have our suggestions for how it could be bettered. It is what it is.

"What's New" is now updated, currently reading :

http://www.theartistschoice.com/whatsnew.htm

What's New 12/15/16

SORRY for the confusion with the website.

Working on getting it fixed

ASAP.

There have been a ton of updates on the website removing tons of sold artwork as well as adding well over 2,000 new pages throughout the site. Unfortunately, not many scans, but that will change.

SORRY for that inconvenience.

Also, a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SHORTLY. Stay tuned !

Thank you for your patience in 2016.

It has been a tough year.

2017 is going to have all sorts of BIG things happening.

Literally multiple thousands of pages will be added in 2017.

ALL will be scanned as they go online. So again, stay tuned.

For all the complaints on this thread, I want to say 1 thing spencer has that a fancy web site can't give? he has a reputation, he may be particular in his process, but he also is a man of his word and I've never had a complaint about Spencer following through on something. And he's been that guy for a long, long time.

Every dealer has their pros and cons, Spencer has been around for a long time with 10's of thousands of pages in his possession for a reason.

Spencer has always been good to me, and if he is working at updating his site by removing sold pages, adding new pages, and adding scans, then I would have no complaints. Here's hoping he follows through and we can see some great art for sale being added soon.

The smart strategy is to not be predictable with the sale and not have it as a tradition, then what happens is his Oct/Nov sales dip in anticipation of customers waiting for the sale in Dec.

Also, it's like what Bed, Bath & Beyond has experienced, the negative repercussions of an anticipated benfit where they always over-coupon with either their $5 off or 20% discounts to the point where shoppers refuse to buy without the coupon, and they even accepted expired coupons.

I think if Spencer just put on a sale with certain artists through the year, unannounced, it gets people visiting and revisiting the site with more frequency, in an expect the unexpected way.

For all the complaints on this thread, I want to say 1 thing spencer has that a fancy web site can't give? he has a reputation, he may be particular in his process, but he also is a man of his word and I've never had a complaint about Spencer following through on something. And he's been that guy for a long, long time.

Every dealer has their pros and cons, Spencer has been around for a long time with 10's of thousands of pages in his possession for a reason.

This about sums it up. I had a chance to speak with him in the phone and he doesn't come off as being overly particular as perhaps he is perceived on his website/emails. He seemed like he was a real nice guy.

My problem is not the content of pages, but that there are so many items with no scans.

Or there is a link that leads to nothing ?

Well, you can always do business with reps who don't do such things, and are currently holding a Christmas sale on many pieces of original art, like myself. :)

But don't take my word for it, see for yourself:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3287

I think all reps should limit themselves to a few hundred pages and a handful of creators. It makes inventory updating a breeze for them and it makes my browsing experience as quick and easy as possible.

Seeing the work of almost 80 artists and tens of thousands of pieces of artwork on one site is like a trek through the desert in comparison.

Oh, I quite agree with all you said. It's why I'll never work with more than 10 to 12 artists, at most. It just becomes to unwieldy to handle more than that, especially if you are a one-man operation (as I am). Keep enough artists to have regular updates, but not so many that you can't keep up with them. Pretty easy rule of thumb, IMO.

Of course it's not much of a test of that theory until you have a chance to rep someone like Romita Jr., or Perez, or Finch and you turn them down because it would be "unwieldy".

It's like having a hard and fast rule to not date more than one supermodel at a time. It only really comes into play if you've got a shot at one supermodel in the first place.

Is this a backhanded slight at the artists I work with now? It certainly is feeling like it. And if I was at my 10-12 artists limit, I wouldn't care who the artist was. I don't take on more than I can handle. That does a disservice to the artist, to the buyer, and to myself. I know it might be hard to believe that there are still people in this hobby with scruples, ethics, and standards, but we do exist. I'm one of them.

Of course not. It's more of a shot at you attempting to elevate your stature at the expense of Spencer's, in a thread that has nothing to do with you or your business.

Oh, so you mean "doing what businesses do." Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification.

I don't see any other reps hopping from thread to thread on this forum, in threads about or by other sellers and reps, to hype their own business.

Probably because their own threads are getting enough attention on their own.

Either that or they can't handle the strain and have self-limited their amount of posts to nothing more than an optimum amount.

lol

Order placed and fingers crossed. It's the waiting after that first email is sent that's always the hardest part.

A few items I'm still thinking about, but there was one page I really wanted to get my hands one.

Pretty slim pickins this year, but I'll send an order and see what happens. Luckily there's nothing I really have my heart set on this year, so if I strike out, no big deal.