• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is theartistschoice doing a sale again this year?

92 posts in this topic

has anyone heard back yet?

I emailed an order the first night of the sale (12/20). I know it's the holidays & the inventory isn't well tracked, so just curious.

this is his third sale I've been following but I've never had any luck with ordering yet.

The problems with the Artist Choice's website :

- Too many pages withouts scans

- Too many scass with broken links (all the links are dead for Kieron Dwyer, and he's not the only one)

- No thumbnails for the pages.

- Too many art attributed to the wrong artist (Stuart Immonen instead of Neil Edward, Pasarin instead of Geraldo Borges, ...).

- No search engine

Just a FYI for those waiting that I had e-mailed Spencer on Dec 20 and finally heard back today.

I've been dealing with Spencer for close to 20 years and he's never let me down. You just need to be very patient :)

First year in a while not digging into the sale. I am almost positive Spencer has things I want but there is sooooo much that has broken links, images not coming up, images not ever loaded, please inquire pieces, etc. that I decided it wasn't worth the headache. Plus, I just didn't feel like digging out a bunch of issues from the long boxes to see what the pages listed actually look like. This site is in desperate need of some help.

The problems with the Artist Choice's website :

- Too many pages withouts scans

- Too many scass with broken links (all the links are dead for Kieron Dwyer, and he's not the only one)

- No thumbnails for the pages.

- Too many art attributed to the wrong artist (Stuart Immonen instead of Neil Edward, Pasarin instead of Geraldo Borges, ...).

- No search engine

Agree, don't know why artists continue to stay with AC when they're leaving money on the table with all the collector's passing on buying stuff from the site since it's so broke down. That site is like a digital version of those "Back in 10 mins" signs where the retailer never comes back.

Bill C, "Spencer told me this was his biggest year ever as far as the sale goes- I don't doubt him.

I know for me personally, it's a good thing that I didn't get frustrated or give up the hunt based on the old website. But then again I see OA collecting as part archeological dig, it takes some work and part of the fun is in the search. As far as Spencer is concerned, I can tell you in my case the patience and persistence has paid dividends.

I'll add for those that are frustrated by what's on the website- that may not be all there is. Once again, in my personal experience some of my best art has come from Spencer, and it was never on his site in the first place."

I agree with Bill, as he already knows.

I bought a ton of Porters Flash run, some Finch Forever Evil at the start of the year and found the prices for Porters stuff very reasonable, cheaper than ebay sellers. Also he helped me get some of Booths, latest stuff, I was chasing from the current issue, stuff that never made it to the website.

For the Porter stuff I had all issues so was no problem when links did not work, and kind of enjoyed looking through them again, for Booth Spencer gave me lots of images from the artist and chased up certain pages (the cheaper ones with Iris and Patty) that would not have automatically sprung to the artists mind.

I am in Australia, so just wandering down to the local Con and flipping through portfolios is not an option.

and I have found him very busy.

Judging by what I bought off Booth, I would say Booth would have been very happy, and so was Porter.

Edited by Terry E.

I first ordered from Mr. Beck several years ago, also during his holiday sale. In fact, he was the first dealer with which I ever placed an order. My original comic art budget back then was pretty small. SO SMALL that my first order, once he subtracted out the unavailable pages, ended up being less than a hundred dollars! There are a lot of dealers that wouldn't have even replied to me for such a small amount, but he did, and he helped me get a couple pages that I still cherish to this day.

I can honestly say that if I hadn't had such a good experience with him then, that I probably would have abandoned the hobby entirely. Since that first order, though, my subsequent holiday orders have steadily grown larger each year. This year's is the biggest yet. He's definitely one of the main reasons that I've not only ended up sticking with the hobby, but invested more money into it each year.

I got my order in this year on 12/22 and am still waiting to hear back. It is frustrating to wait this long without a response. However, he's never once failed to get back to me, so I have faith I'll hear back eventually. In the grand scheme of things, a few extra weeks wait is a small price to pay for some artwork I'll love for a lifetime. I just hope some of the pages I requested are still available! The NOT KNOWING is always the hardest part! ;)

I'm hoping there will be an update of stuff not on "sale" (discount) after this holiday % off sale, as well as updated images posted up to the website or a revamp of the website for easier shopping and navigation.

The ordering process as it exists isn't that difficult at all actually, but as far as inspiring impulse buys, I think Spencer would benefit greatly by having a more complete site with all art for sale shown and a shopping cart to click to reserve or buy.

I hate to bother Spencer because I know he's really busy, but is this standard operating procedure for him?

I mailed my payment (check) to Spencer 2 weeks ago. I figure, a week for snail mail to reach him? My check hasn't been deposited yet...I personally deposit all checks immediately on my phone but he may not be there yet. maybe he only deposits physically every week or 2...

at what point do I know my check's been lost in the mail?

I hate to bother Spencer because I know he's really busy, but is this standard operating procedure for him?

I mailed my payment (check) to Spencer 2 weeks ago. I figure, a week for snail mail to reach him? My check hasn't been deposited yet...I personally deposit all checks immediately on my phone but he may not be there yet. maybe he only deposits physically every week or 2...

My last order I received my art about a week before my check cleared. That's not how it's played out in the past however.

The poor guy is swamped. If you're concerned write him.

Hi there;

I saw this recent post and contacted Spencer about it.

Spencer will deposit all outstanding cheques tomorrow, and he apologizes for the delay as he's been exceptionally ill over the past few weeks.

The good news is that he's on the mend, but still very far behind schedule when it comes to fulfilling orders. He's asked me to thank you all for your orders, and for your patience.

-Yoram