• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 2 from Marvel & Sony (7/5/19)
4 4

705 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I had the EXACT same thought you did.  So I agree, it's entirely unclear what happened with him.

It is a really good point, as he was such a master trickster what we were shown and what really took place could have been two different actions.

Gotta hand it to Jake Gyllenhaal. He made that role his own so masterfully. Though I do agree Spider-Man 2 is still top-of-heap for greatest film of the combined franchise.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Though I do agree Spider-Man 2 is still top-of-heap for greatest film of the combined franchise superhero genre aside from "The Dark Knight."

Broadened that a bit for accuracy.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, Hawkman said:

the blip - just call it the snap

I'm not sure the Avengers even told the public at large about Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.  If that's the case, then nobody would know there was a snap to begin with to know to call it that.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, Hawkman said:

peter-tingle - sounds like he's taking a pizz

That'd be a "tinkle."  She called it "Peter's tingle," and he didn't like it because it sounded vaguely like his aunt was referring to his junk.  :blush:

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Broadened that a bit for accuracy.

I put The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 on the same level, as they are two of my favorites representing the best of DC and Marvel. Be more accurate. :baiting:

:luhv:

On 7/3/2019 at 7:32 AM, Kon_Jelly said:
On 7/2/2019 at 11:53 PM, Xenosmilus said:

What a great movie!!! But one thing I didn't quite get was...

Reveal hidden contents

I might have missed the reference but why wasn't SM's spider sense working at first?

I don't think they ever explicitly explained it, but my take:

Hide contents

I thought Peter was ignoring it (or even turned it off somehow) to go on vacation. 

I definitely need to watch it again to be sure. 

I don't think that's it.  I'm going to leave most of this out of spoiler quotes because it's just a general discussion about Peter's spider-sense ability.

Peter's spider-sense alerts him to danger, but it isn't radar sense like Daredevil's that tells him exactly where objects are at.  When his spider-sense goes off, his usual next act is to figure out where the danger is coming from with his sense of sight.  If it's not in front of him, it must be behind him so he'll whirl around or jump up, down, or to the side if it's imminent danger.  When fighting Mysterio, his sense of sight is useless due to the illusions, so it doesn't immediately occur to him to use his spider-sense in a different way.  He's gone through this when fighting Mysterio in the comics, too.

This is the part that needs to be in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

When he decides to trust his spider-sense in that final fight with Mysterio, by that point he has two advantages he didn't have in his first encounter with Mysterio that help to make up for his lack of sight within the illusion:

• He knows that the only real danger is drones and their bullet fire directed forwards
  • He's in a tight hallway, and he knows the drones are all in front of him

Because of this, he knows that when his spider-sense goes off, he's either about to get shot or there's a drone nearby, so he knows to jump in almost any direction aside from forward or backward.  As long as he jumps up, down, or to the side the bullets should miss him, and if he keeps advancing enough he'll eventually get to the drones, will be able to feel them, and can then kick or punch them.

Edited by fantastic_four

Open question about the film:

Spoiler

Is there reason to believe that Happy knew that Nick Fury was actually Talos?  I'm guessing he didn't know, but I'm not at all sure of it.  The coded message he gave him is the thing I'm particularly unsure of.  Would Talos necessarily know how to decode it, or would the fact that he wasn't talking to Fury alter the type of message he sent?

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not sure the Avengers even told the public at large about Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.  If that's the case, then nobody would know there was a snap to begin with to know to call it that.

When Ronin/Hawkeye goes after the mob boss, he said something to the effect of "they got Thanos, you get me". 

If I'm not mistaken, there's a sign that mentions Thanos that can be seen on the transition into the support group scene near the beginning of Endgame. 

That is to say that I think the world at large is at the very least aware of Thanos.  Maybe not the Snap, but definitely Thanos. 

I think after a portal opened up and an alien army invaded New York in Avengers, the MCU world knows there are other intelligent races in the universe and they seem to have come to terms with it in the ensuing years.

And going even further, once people learned about Thanos, I'm betting the public would inevitably come to know about the Gauntlet/Stones. 

Just read that when Peter was on the plane he was flipping through the in-flight television and there was a documentary in the list of available titles called "The Snap."  I didn't see that myself.

This isn't a spoiler without specifics so I'll discuss it openly--the first post-credits scene makes it clear that Feige is fine with re-casting iconic actors from the other universes in the same role within the MCU.  So given that now being solidly established, let the discussion about which actors he will bring into the MCU begin!

The obvious one is Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.  Which isn't a surprise since Feige already explicitly said he'd be a fool to mess too much with the success formula that Reynolds has already established in those films.  I suppose beyond that the actors at the top of most people's lists would be McAvoy and Fassbender.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Just read that when Peter was on the plane he was flipping through the in-flight television and there was a documentary in the list of available titles called "The Snap."  I didn't see that myself.

Oh yeah!

There's also stuff like "Finding Wakanda" and "Heart of Iron" (those may not be exact, but they're close).

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

This isn't a spoiler without specifics so I'll discuss it openly--the first post-credits scene makes it clear that Feige is fine with re-casting iconic actors from the other universes in the same role within the MCU.  So given that now being solidly established, let the discussion about which actors he will bring into the MCU begin!

The obvious one is Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.  Which isn't a surprise since Feige already explicitly said he'd be a fool to mess too much with the success formula that Reynolds has already established in those films.  I suppose beyond that the actors at the top of most people's lists would be McAvoy and Fassbender.

I wouldn't mind seeing X-23 from Logan showing up in the MCU.

13 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I think I need to stare at that very last shot in the second-post credits scene:

Reveal hidden contents

All I could tell was that they were in space and there was a LOT of hardware up there.  What exactly is going on there?  And who's doing all of that?  SHIELD is gone, right?  So who is Nick Fury with up there?

Having seen the scene only once and without time to analyze what I was seeing more thoroughly, I assumed it was some kind of allusion to a MAJOR cosmic storyline.  We know they're considering the Eternals, and of course they're getting the Fantastic Four and the X-Men who have ties to the Shi'ar Empire and the Starjammers, so I'm guessing some or all of that may be what that scene is pointing towards.  I guess it could also be a Kree/Skrull thing involving Captain Marvel, so who really knows.  That's why I want to study the scene, to see if there were hints as to what they're doing with all of that stuff.

Tied to that, I also need a few readings of the exact text of that conversation between Happy and Nick Fury (who was really Talos) and what he was saying in code about a "surfboard."  Surfboard?  Odd to use that in a coded message given who we know will be coming up at some point in the not-too-distant future.  hm

ff49.jpg

I still haven't been able to find a still shot of that last scene to analyze it, but I'm reading people claim this about it around the web:

Spoiler

That Fury is on a skrull ship.  I did see the skrulls walking around the halls, but they were walking next to humans so I wasn't sure it was a skrull ship.  I suppose that makes the most sense, however, given that humans aren't yet capable of interstellar travel.

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I wouldn't mind seeing X-23 from Logan showing up in the MCU.

+1

I can see why people weren't a fan of a 10-year old making her best childish angry faces, I thought she made EXCEPTIONALLY awesome angry faces for a kid.  And she's SUCH a cutie.  So yea, I'd love for her to return, but who knows what she'll be like as she ages so I'm not convinced it'll work.  Hopefully it will.  :wishluck:

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I had the EXACT same thought you did.  So I agree, it's entirely unclear what happened with him.

So I went and saw it for a third time yesterday. Update on my theory:

Spoiler

I noticed that when he was downloading the illusion to the thumb drive his screen said "Active Drones: 500". This was after Edith had disabled all the drones and they started leaving the area. 

So yeah - Mysterio is definitely still alive. 

11 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

So I went and saw it for a third time yesterday. Update on my theory:

Hide contents

I noticed that when he was downloading the illusion to the thumb drive his screen said "Active Drones: 500". This was after Edith had disabled all the drones and they started leaving the area. 

So yeah - Mysterio is definitely still alive. 

:whatthe:

:applause:

Did Edith disable the drones entirely?  All I heard her say was that their illusions were down.  They could still be classified as "active" yet still not be projecting their holography since they have multiple functions.