• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 2 from Marvel & Sony (7/5/19)
4 4

705 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The next chess move for Iger might be to pull Jon Watts away from Sony.  hm  Maybe even the Spider-Verse guys.  He's got all the money and all the content to attract directors, so I assume he can do whatever he wants.

Lord & Miller locked in a nine-figure deal with Sony, which both parties embraced.

Phil Lord & Chris Miller Ink Mega Deal With Sony Pictures TV, Will Develop Spider-Man Universe TV Series

Oscar-winning writers/directors/producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed a massive five-year overall deal with Sony Pictures Television.

No one is commenting but the value of the pact is believed to be in the nine figures. Under the agreement, the duo will develop live-action comedy and drama series as well as animated shows through their Lord Miller Productions company, including a suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel characters, referred to as Spider-verse, which had been a priority for SPT.

The latter is said to have been a major selling point that helped bring Lord and Miller to Sony TV in a very competitive situation with multiple independent studios and a streaming platform pursuing them. The pair is coming off winning an Oscar for Sony’s Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse. The Sony TV deal allows the pair to develop their own projects for network, cable and streaming platforms, as well as develop and supervise other writers’ projects.

Which yes, Disney could attempt to disrupt with Disney+ projects. But with all it has in the cooker for its streaming service, it could muddy the waters going overboard. 

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Lord & Miller locked in a nine-figure deal with Sony, which both parties embraced.

Phil Lord & Chris Miller Ink Mega Deal With Sony Pictures TV, Will Develop Spider-Man Universe TV Series

Which yes, Disney could attempt to disrupt with Disney+ projects. But with all it has in the cooker for its streaming service, it could muddy the waters going overboard. 

After parting ways with Disney over Solo: A Star Wars Story, I don't think that Disney and Lord and Miller would be able to put things aside and come to terms in order to work together again regardless of their Sony contract.  Sure James Gunn was fired and rehired, but there was a lovefest between Gunn and the Mouse.  Gunn wanted to get back with Disney and Disney wanted him back because Gunn kept making them money with two Guardians movies and producing credits in the last two Avengers movies...  

Lord & Miller and Disney though is a different story...

BTW... I am curious to see if the Disney Streaming service fills some of its need for content by showing off some of the vaulted Lord & MIller footage from Solo. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

After parting ways with Disney over Solo: A Star Wars Story, I don't think that Disney and Lord and Miller would be able to put things aside and come to terms in order to work together again regardless of their Sony contract.  Sure James Gunn was fired and rehired, but there was a lovefest between Gunn and the Mouse.  Gunn wanted to get back with Disney and Disney wanted him back because Gunn kept making them money with two Guardians movies and producing credits in the last two Avengers movies...  

Lord & Miller and Disney though is a different story...

Is there reason for Lord and Miller to blame anyone else besides Kathleen Kennedy for what happened?  I wouldn't be surprised if they never interacted with Bob Iger at all during Solo.  And certainly they'd have nothing against Feige.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Is there reason for Lord and Miller to blame anyone else besides Kathleen Kennedy for what happened?  I wouldn't be surprised if they never interacted with Bob Iger at all during Solo.  And certainly they'd have nothing against Feige.

Yes.  Doesn't matter who is actually responsible.  It all falls under the banner of the mouse.  As much as Kennedy may be her own person running the Star Wars side of Disney things, she still makes decisions and reports to Disney.  Parting ways with the director of what was supposed to be a tentpole film when it is 3/4 complete is not something that is arbitrarily done. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

What network would those Spidey cartoons air on?

I suppose Disney probably doesn't care about this anyway since they've barely scratched the surface on Marvel cartoons.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

You'd now have to think that turning Spider-Man into the Iron Spider was planned from the start to get Marvel's hooks directly into fans again.  But killing off Stark mostly weakens that grip, so they tried to sink their claws in deeper by setting up Peter to be the next Tony Stark in Far From Home.  Now Sony has to reboot AGAIN to an extent just to separate themselves from all of that!  :whatthe:  I suppose if I were tasked with cleaning this up I'd just pretend the connection to Iron Man never existed and lean into the next story with Tom Holland and the new cast. 

?

I'm pretty sure that Sony owns the rights to Iron-Spider, since the suit first appeared in an ASM comic, so it's Sony -- not Disney -- that benefits from him featuring that suit in films like Endgame.

And I disagree that they were *ever* trying to set Peter up to be the new Tony Stark in the MCU.

I've read that argument by several posters here and all I can think is they've got their comic collector blinders on.

There's *zero* chance that the Tom Holland Spider-Man character leads an Avengers team vs. Captain Marvel, Black Panther, or even Thor.

Just because Tony mentored Peter doesn't mean he was literally grooming him to take over his mantle.

16 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

What network would those Spidey cartoons air on?

I suppose Disney probably doesn't care about this anyway since they've barely scratched the surface on Marvel cartoons.

@Bosco685 correct me if I am wrong... 

Sony currently has the film rights for live action and animation. 

Disney retains the rights for any and all Spider-man TV shows (at least animated) wed to produce its own animated Spider-man series, as evidenced through Ultimate Spider-man 2012-2017 and Spiderman / Spiderman: Maximum Venom 2017-2020 -> ?.  The current show features Peter Parker and everyone else in the Spider-man Universe including Miles Morales.  This has been broadcast on Disney XD.

I do not think that Sony has any rights to create TV shows based on Spider-man, live action OR animated.  In fact, that is the reason that the Sony Spectacular Spider-man series abruptly ended in 2009.  The rights were returned to Marvel and then Disney bought Marvel effectively retaining those rights and deciding not to lease those out to Sony. 

Weisman would later write that in 2009, in exchange for concessions on the movie rights, Sony had relinquished to Marvel its license to produce television works that used Spider-Man and associated characters, but had retained ownership of The Spectacular Spider-Man series and all of the production elements created specifically for it, such as character designs and storylines. Therefore, neither Sony nor Marvel could continue production of the series, as each lacked some of the essential rights to do so. Additionally, at approximately the same time that Sony returned the Spider-Man television rights to Marvel, Marvel was acquired by The Walt Disney Company

This is also why I believe that there is a chance that should the Sony and Marvel deal fall through... there is a slight chance that after his current contract, that Tom Holland is done as Spider-man.  Marvel might have a shared stake in this iteration of Spider-man so they may block the use of Tom Holland in a Sony picture.  As evidenced with Spectacular Spider-man... these things happen which is why Marvel was not allowed to continue the Sony series.  Disney owned the animation rights to the character but Sony owned that version of the character. 

Ask Greg Weisman - November 7th 2011

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm pretty sure that Sony owns the rights to Iron-Spider, since the suit first appeared in an ASM comic, so it's Sony -- not Disney -- that benefits from him featuring that suit in films like Endgame.

I've read that argument by several posters here and all I can think is they've got their comic collector blinders on.

There's *zero* chance that the Tom Holland Spider-Man character leads an Avengers team vs. Captain Marvel, Black Panther, or even Thor.

But they don't own Iron Man.  So what, they're going to continue to use Iron Man's suit in their movies?  Exactly the opposite, they're going to wipe out all ties to Marvel.

He's too young to lead the Avengers and I'm not even sure he'd even continue to be in it even if he continues in the MCU, but it's clear from Far From Home that they intended him to become the new Tony Stark.  If they had kept going down that road that's a HUGE hook into the MCU.

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Bosco685 correct me if I am wrong... 

Had to go back and check the Marvel rights thread.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?

Spider-Man (TV rights - live and animated): News Article #1.

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Disney retains the rights for any and all Spider-man TV shows (at least animated) wed to produce its own animated Spider-man series, as evidenced through Ultimate Spider-man 2012-2017 and Spiderman / Spiderman: Maximum Venom 2017-2020 -> ?.  The current show features Peter Parker and everyone else in the Spider-man Universe including Miles Morales.  This has been broadcast on Disney XD.

I do not think that Sony has any rights to create TV shows based on Spider-man, live action OR animated.  In fact, that is the reason that the Sony Spectacular Spider-man series abruptly ended in 2009.  The rights were returned to Marvel and then Disney bought Marvel effectively retaining those rights and deciding not to lease those out to Sony. 

If that's the case, doesn't the Marvel deal ending also end the Lord and Miller deal?

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

If that's the case, doesn't the Marvel deal ending also end the Lord and Miller deal?

What a mess when it comes to understanding these rights deals.

It's a good question. Does Marvel have only certain TV rights when it comes to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, or anything Spidey Universe related?

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What a mess when it comes to understanding these rights deals.

It's a good question. Does Marvel have only certain TV rights when it comes to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, or anything Spidey Universe related?

I believe it is to the whole thing... Spider-Man and associated characters... at the very worst scenario Disney/Marvel will still have some form of Spider-Man under their control... but like I said at worst case scenario there may be two iterations of Miles Morales on TV like there were two quicksilvers. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I believe it is to the whole thing... Spider-Man and associated characters... at the very worst scenario Disney/Marvel will still have some form of Spider-Man under their control... but like I said at worst case scenario there may be two iterations of Miles Morales on TV like there were two quicksilvers. 

I'm good with more Spidey in films and TV even if it means two separate studios competing. Especially if the competition leads to them upping the standards to drive more interest.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Breaking News:

Marvel Studios casts Tom Holland as 'Night Monkey'.

:news:

MCU reads Tom Holland's contract and realizes any of the characters and actors associated with those characters is with Sony Pictures.

hm

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:news:

MCU reads Tom Holland's contract and realizes any of the characters and actors associated with those characters is with Sony Pictures.

hm

How is Night Monkey a Sony character when he was created by Marvel Studios...?

He's not a character from the Spider-Man comics.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

How is Night Monkey a Sony character when he was created by Marvel Studios...?

He's not a character from the Spider-Man comics.

It's a Sony film produced by Disney. The latter's only involvement is producing the film, while Sony provides the film rights.

:foryou:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

It's a Sony film produced by Disney. The latter's only involvement is producing the film, while Sony provides the film rights.

:foryou:

Iron Man was also in the films, so, still doesn't make sense.

All of the creativity came from Marvel Studios...

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Iron Man was also in the films, so, still doesn't make sense.

All of the creativity came from Marvel Studios...

Part of the agreement was utilizing existing MCU characters to boost results. It does make sense.