• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky
1 1

139 posts in this topic

My mail order as a kid was Robert Bell. Just about everything I bought from him was vfn/nm. Still have a lot of them. Anyone remember Samuel Frazer?

Thank you. I pursue comic catalogues from the 1960's/1970's and the name Samuel Frazer rings a bell so I must have seen one of his catalogues somewhere so I'm adding him to my current "want" list.

My holy grail still remains a catalogue from Don's Book Vault. I have some Comic Book Buyers Guides with his ads in them but no catalogues yet. I owned one as a kid but it's now long turned to dust. I want that as bad as some back issue comics. :(

My mail order as a kid was Robert Bell. Just about everything I bought from him was vfn/nm. Still have a lot of them. Anyone remember Samuel Frazer?

Thank you. I pursue comic catalogues from the 1960's/1970's and the name Samuel Frazer rings a bell so I must have seen one of his catalogues somewhere so I'm adding him to my current "want" list.

My holy grail still remains a catalogue from Don's Book Vault. I have some Comic Book Buyers Guides with his ads in them but no catalogues yet. I owned one as a kid but it's now long turned to dust. I want that as bad as some back issue comics. :(

Was Frazer out of Florida?

Yes, I remember Sam and he eventually had moved down to Florida probably a decade ago.

One of the nicest people you can ever meet! Came from teaching profession.

He was originally out of Long Island, NY and was a steady dealer at the Kenny Diamond Rockville Centre shows.

Wow! Someone else who remembers Don's Book Vault. I bought from him as a kid via his catalogs. He was the only dealer I wrote to that responded to me regarding golden age Archie's. Wish I had been able to spend a lot of money back then. No one wanted old Archie comics back then so they were pretty cheap. Of course because no one wanted them, many GA dealers didn't deal in them.

Yes, I remember Sam and he eventually had moved down to Florida probably a decade ago.

One of the nicest people you can ever meet! Came from teaching profession.

He was originally out of Long Island, NY and was a steady dealer at the Kenny Diamond Rockville Centre shows.

I bought a Batman 31 from him (which I still have!). Also did some trading with him but for the life of me, can't remember what.

Wow! Someone else who remembers Don's Book Vault. I bought from him as a kid via his catalogs. He was the only dealer I wrote to that responded to me regarding golden age Archie's. Wish I had been able to spend a lot of money back then. No one wanted old Archie comics back then so they were pretty cheap. Of course because no one wanted them, many GA dealers didn't deal in them.

Back in the seventies the Passaic Book Center had a huge inventory of Archies; and you are right -- no one wanted them!!

Don's Book Vault sounds familiar. I think I must remember the name from the ads.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Just a couple of years before I got interweb, I mailed in a LOT of bids to a Comic Heaven auction.

It turned out that a had overestimated the depth of the bidding pool. I won every single item I bid on (I was counting on about 25%). It was the most I had ever spent on comics in my life then, and the record held for about a decade!

Can't say it wasn't fun or memorable, tho!

Cherokee Book Shop: $3 in 1967

16359087159_a99f46b97d_c.jpg

That was a LOT of bread at the time - especially if you relied on scavenging empty 2 cent pop bottles in order to buy brand new comics...

Edited by pemart1966

I believe it's Frazier.

Bought an All Winners 15 from him. Had an incorrect back cover taped to it. It went back as fast as I could get it repackaged. Got my refund and never ordered from him again.

That was a LOT of bread at the time - especially if you relied on scavenging empty 2 cent pop bottles in order to buy brand new comics...

No kidding. We used to ride up and down alleys on our bikes with a red wagon. A decent day was 50 cents. Used to mow lawns for 50 cents a pop. Later, making $5. A month delivering papers. Lot for new comics but not much for old ones.

IMG_0351_zpsqhpj7yug.jpg

Rusted staples. Pass. :insane:

Makes me think of an interesting point: Given the work already done on the book, would replacing the staples raise or lower the value? hm

And if the rusted staples were to be replaced with vintage staples from that same time period, would that be enough to push the entire book into PLOD territory, or would it still be considered to be a Blue Conserved book? ???

From the CGC web site:

Conservation Repairs

Tear seals

Spine split seals

Reinforcement

Piece reattachment

Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)

Staples cleaned or replaced

Some leaf casting

So yes it would still be a conserved grade

No kidding. We used to ride up and down alleys on our bikes with a red wagon. A decent day was 50 cents. Used to mow lawns for 50 cents a pop. Later, making $5. A month delivering papers. Lot for new comics but not much for old ones.

Looking back on it you fools should have never read your comics or opened your toys but store them in a dry, dark climate controlled space for later.

What was wrong with kids back then.

Play,play,play with no regards to your future.

:makepoint:

Looking back on it you fools should have never read your comics or opened your toys but store them in a dry, dark climate controlled space for later.

What was wrong with kids back then.

Play,play,play with no regards to your future.

:makepoint:

Who knew that back then? (shrug) I had no idea prices were going to go higher and higher. I just knew I wanted the comics...and i knew it drove my dad crazy when I paid $3 for one... lol Hey, I'm lucky I kept them all...

But, as long as were on this nostalgia trip...here's a funny story: Around 1974 I stopped buying golden age comics because I thought they cost too much. I concentrated on ECs instead, and Amazing Spiderman. So, fast forward to 1993. I buy a discounted copy of the Photo Journal Vol. 2. I see the Superman's in there, and I remember how much I wanted a #24, but could never find one in the Superman box at Cherokee. I start looking for one, and end up buying a VF copy from a collector for $400. :pullhair: It's a good thing my dad wasn't around to see THAT. But, after that baptism of fire any book that was less than $200 seemed like a bargain... hm

Edited by tricolorbrian

I remember a dealer named Dave Hunt who had a catalogue advertised in Marvel comics for a dime. He had a coverless Batman 20 for 20 bucks, which I couldn't afford. I ended up buying a Batman and Superman annual from the sixties for 1.50 apiece, and darned if they weren't VF/NM copies.

IMG_0351_zpsqhpj7yug.jpg

Makes me think of an interesting point: Given the work already done on the book, would replacing the staples raise or lower the value? hm

And if the rusted staples were to be replaced with vintage staples from that same time period, would that be enough to push the entire book into PLOD territory, or would it still be considered to be a Blue Conserved book? ???

From the CGC web site:

Conservation Repairs

Tear seals

Spine split seals

Reinforcement

Piece reattachment

Some leaf casting

Around 1970 I was at Cherokee Book shop and Burt Blum showed me a nice copy of Action #1 that just came in. Maybe fine condition. Price? $350.00. Might as well have been a million to a teen age kid making $2.00 an hour bagging groceries...

IMG_0351_zpsqhpj7yug.jpg

From the CGC web site:

Conservation Repairs

Tear seals

Spine split seals

Reinforcement

Piece reattachment

Some leaf casting

Good to know! (thumbs u

So, if this is a Conserved book, then why does the CGC label stated: Restoration includes: tear seals to cover, etc.? In order to line it up with their Conserved grade, should it not correctly be saying: Conservation includes: tear seals to cover, etc.? hm