• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky
1 1

139 posts in this topic

I know I have catalogues of his up to around 1976. Not sure any hit 1977 yet. Maybe. Still working on it.

It's interesting to note Howard's good and up for his condition ranges. Some other dealers in the same period were using very good or better and if you were lucky I think I remember at least one dealer around this time using fine or better as their grade ranges when ordering.

Yes if you walked in a comic shop at the time more expensive books would see an assigned grade and many catalogues would do the same but this was the time of dealers selling the bulk of their inventory in catalogues via mails and in general condition ranges.

The industry was still working with the "big 3" conditions (Good,Fine,Mint) with those pesky in between grades like very good or very fine. No numbers or the +/- in grades just yet.

I believe this is also around the time (late 70's) when Overstreet was struggling to figure out the spreads between good, fine, and mint since it was getting larger between the grades as collectors were becoming more condition conscious.

Howard was not one to keep up with the industry as it changed into this much more grade oriented to the price you were paying type of collector. There were many more dealers by now putting out catalogues and many more comic shops starting to pop up in cities. Things like San Diegos Comic Con were allowing even more books to trade hands and move around.

Things were going to get a lot more focused in the 1980's collecting world with Howard getting left out to change his focus over time.

My first Mail order catalog was Comic Sales Company out of Brooklyn.... in the late 60's...... all SA from what I recall..... and the books were almost always high grade..... but at the time, I was focusing on the mid 60's books I needed which were only a few years old then. My first Rogofsky catalog was around 1971 or so and he was the first person that I bought "expensive" books from, which was 5 to 10 bucks each for me. One of his catalogs had an Action 1 @ $ 1800...... probably right after Mitch made the news. I miss those days somewhat, but the period I really miss was from the late 70's to the early 90's, when Conventions were popping up everywhere yet the prices were still relatively approachable..... you could find stuff you didn't even know existed and you could haggle :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

The 1980's were built on everything that the 1970's was setting up. Overstreet becoming "the guide", higher grading awareness, mail order, comic shops, comic cons, etc.

By the 1980's we were into the Reagan era and comics were starting to reflect a more established tone as a business. The Indy publishers, direct sales, all lead to an explosion of comic shops in many areas.

Being young at that time meant hanging out in comic shops or record stores (which still sold vinyl but CDs and cassettes were more the norm).

I think the Internet is the one thing that made comic collecting "easier" but I think it also one of the reasons the industry lost a lot of its organic culture that used to be a part of it.

I have mixed feelings about the world I live in now with its well oiled collecting machine available to all and the mainstream acceptance of my hobby were superheroes dominate pop culture in games, movies, TV, etc. (it's trendy to be a geek?).

I grew up strictly 80's punk era and my parents were of the counter culture.

There's something incredibly cool about being in your private underground club that comic collecting once was before all the suits arrived. :P

Cherokee Book Shop: $3 in 1967

16359087159_a99f46b97d_c.jpg

That was a LOT of bread at the time - especially if you relied on scavenging empty 2 cent pop bottles in order to buy brand new comics...

No kidding. We used to ride up and down alleys on our bikes with a red wagon. A decent day was 50 cents. Used to mow lawns for 50 cents a pop. Later, making $5. A month delivering papers. Lot for new comics but not much for old ones.

Looking back on it you fools should have never read your comics or opened your toys but store them in a dry, dark climate controlled space for later.

What was wrong with kids back then.

Play,play,play with no regards to your future.

:makepoint:

If we'd all done that we wouldn't be having this discussion; there'd be no comic book dealers; no comic auction houses; no collectors society board; etc etc etc

Wow - talk about "trickle down theory"...

The 1980's were built on everything that the 1970's was setting up. Overstreet becoming "the guide", higher grading awareness, mail order, comic shops, comic cons, etc.

By the 1980's we were into the Reagan era and comics were starting to reflect a more established tone as a business. The Indy publishers, direct sales, all lead to an explosion of comic shops in many areas.

Being young at that time meant hanging out in comic shops or record stores (which still sold vinyl but CDs and cassettes were more the norm).

I think the Internet is the one thing that made comic collecting "easier" but I think it also one of the reasons the industry lost a lot of its organic culture that used to be a part of it.

I have mixed feelings about the world I live in now with its well oiled collecting machine available to all and the mainstream acceptance of my hobby were superheroes dominate pop culture in games, movies, TV, etc. (it's trendy to be a geek?).

There's something incredibly cool about being in your private underground club that comic collecting once was before all the suits arrived. :P

I WAS the counter culture. The kind parents warned you about. I really do miss "used book stores"... I did go to punk shows (Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Germs ect) but by then, I was paying a morgage and had a real job.

Did you ever think you could buy comics on your phone?

Edited by Robot Man

It's truly remarkable where it's all ended up. Howard was a trailblazer though.

Anybody remember Passaic Books? They came a little later but I think they had pretty sizable inventory.

Keep it coming great stories!

Yes, but I assumed it would involve a conversation with a live human. :)

I WAS the counter culture. The kind parents warned you about. I really do miss "used book stores"... I did go to punk shows (Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Germs ect) but by then, I was paying a morgage and had a real job.

Bob,you're going to have to tell me some LA punk tales...

...like the time he burned all of those cop cars that are pictured on The DK's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables cover.

...like the time he burned all of those cop cars that are pictured on The DK's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables cover.

I knew it...after hanging out at Okie Dog

I knew it...after hanging out at Okie Dog

Here's a pic of Bob skating at a Jodie Foster's Army show...

dsc5081.jpg

Anybody remember Passaic Books? They came a little later but I think they had pretty sizable inventory.

Hi

Check out this thread on Passaic from a few years back:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=4203957&Searchpage=1&Main=199741&Words=passaic&topic=0&Search=true#Post4203957

Oh i remember that place was in a pretty bad part of town but loaded with books.

Hi

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=4203957&Searchpage=1&Main=199741&Words=passaic&topic=0&Search=true#Post4203957

Very cool (thumbs u

Oh i remember that place was in a pretty bad part of town but loaded with books.

My friends and I never were daring enough to make the trip from Long Island to New Jersey.

Hi

Very cool (thumbs u

My friends and I never were daring enough to make the trip from Long Island to New Jersey.

I'd heard about Passaic for years and had made a couple mail order purchases, but I didn't visit the place until about 1994. It was what I expected; piles everywhere and all manner of paper. But not much for GA left by then. I did manage to snag a couple pulps.

Bob is moshing somewhere...

punks_mosh02.jpg

lol

Ever shop at Licorice Pizza LA folks?

Yes, frequently. Also Aaron's on Melrose. My town was a hot bed of funky record stores.

Loudest show... Black Flag and Dead Kennedys at Madam Wongs (google it)

Favorite shows? X, The Blasters and the Misfits. Also right when his first album came out, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe and Mink DeVille in the Hollywood High School Auditorium!

In high school I was into psychedelica. I worked for Thomas Edison Lights doing light shows at the Shrine Auditorium and the Rose Palace (where they build the floats) in Pasadena. Most memorable shows? Frank Zappa, Iron Butterfly, and Zeppelin's first tour. (We didn't know who they were.

I got to see Oingo Boingo at a backyard party in high school. My daughter went to a backyard party where Sublime was playing.

Sometimes it pays to be old Jimmers!