• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky
1 1

139 posts in this topic

I remember ordering the Passaic Catalog, maybe 1968 or so. And it was big! 8 1/2 X 11, but it seemed to list everything except the # ones, or origin issues! I think they simply didn't want to commit to a printed price on these 'hot' books.... I remember the cover had a drawing of a jungle cat guy, tail and all.... Anyway, they did seem to have the largest catalog. But not the largest selection.

Anyone else ever order back issues directly from the Marvel offices? I recall getting an Amazing Spider-Man annual 2, Marvel Tales #1, for a quarter each. Seems like Flo Steinberg was handling this dept. at the time.

Another guy that use to sell through lists was Howard Leroy Davis. As I recall, he at some point had bought the publishing rights to some 1950's John Severin western material... possibly Prize Western? I think he was an architect in 'real life'?

But, it is funny how much time and effort went into ordering just the lists. And or the fanzines that supplemented them! But, it was speculated that fandom had a core group of around 5000 people.... The 'science fiction' community looked down on us.... EVERYONE looked down on us! But man! By today's standards..... everything was cheap. But you could be looking for years to find that last issue to complete whatever set(s) that had eluded you thus far.

I remember ordering the Passaic Catalog, maybe 1968 or so. And it was big! 8 1/2 X 11, but it seemed to list everything except the # ones, or origin issues! I think they simply didn't want to commit to a printed price on these 'hot' books.... I remember the cover had a drawing of a jungle cat guy, tail and all.... Anyway, they did seem to have the largest catalog. But not the largest selection.

Anyone else ever order back issues directly from the Marvel offices? I recall getting an Amazing Spider-Man annual 2, Marvel Tales #1, for a quarter each. Seems like Flo Steinberg was handling this dept. at the time.

Another guy that use to sell through lists was Howard Leroy Davis. As I recall, he at some point had bought the publishing rights to some 1950's John Severin western material... possibly Prize Western? I think he was an architect in 'real life'?

But, it is funny how much time and effort went into ordering just the lists. And or the fanzines that supplemented them! But, it was speculated that fandom had a core group of around 5000 people.... The 'science fiction' community looked down on us.... EVERYONE looked down on us! But man! By today's standards..... everything was cheap. But you could be looking for years to find that last issue to complete whatever set(s) that had eluded you thus far.

.... my buddy received an ASM 29 from Marvel's back issue department (Flo.... :luhv: ) ....he still has it and the list of what else was still available. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah AZ would be a good guess. Sure would like to be there in the warm sun instead of cold and rainy LA today.

I remember you telling me about ZZ Top living in your neighborhood and you as a kid got to go see them play in a garage. Doesn't one of them frequent one of your shops?

Hope to see you at WonderCon.

Not warm and sunny in Phoenix now...we're getting your rain...I actually put a coat on the last two days... lol

I've known a few that got their back issues through Marvel way back then.

Best SA book I've seen from an original owner though was a signed Fantastic Four #1 by Stan and Jack and dated late 1961 or early 1962. It was sent to them with a request for signatures by both on the first page inside with a date. I got a ton of sigs by Stan and Jack myself over the years at cons and such but having a dated copy so close to the original release.... :cloud9:

Somewhere in my family there is a list of books Marvel had available around 1962 or 1963 that they got when requesting some back issues. I was never sure if Marvel really did have a few back issues available or if Stan was able to locate some for the few die hard fans of the time.

I think Warren was the company though that really had good spreads in their mags for back issues. Marvel had a little bit too in the 1970's for their b&w mag line,etc.

Back on Howard though,

I have catalogues by him as far back as 1967.

Does anyone know when his oldest catalogues are dated?

I'm guessing his first ads were around 1965? Not sure without looking through back issues.

Back on Howard though,

I have catalogues by him as far back as 1967.

Does anyone know when his oldest catalogues are dated?

I'm guessing his first ads were around 1965? Not sure without looking through back issues.

1965 sounds about right for the first catalog I received from him. As I mentioned in an earlier post, iirc, that was the catalog that listed an FF 1 for $12 -- a price that my friends and I considered insanely high.

I held on to that catalog for years and may still have it. Unfortunately, most of my comic-related stuff from that far back is stored away in boxes that I haven't opened in years. If I ever dig it out, I'll scan it and post it.

In the late seventies there was a mail order dealer in California that went by BEA. Prices were good and the selection was always interesting. I ordered a bunch of books from them shipped back to my home in New Jersey. About four to five years ago I came across an old ad and discovered that they were based about two miles from where I live now in Temple City, CA. There was never a name and only a post box so I don't know who this was but some of my books have come back home!

I'm going to have to look that up. Must have seen that name in Overstreet or CBG ads. Bea sounds familiar though.

One of my favourite ads of the era though was Theo Holsteins ad in Overstreet. If you have the 1976 edition it contains it. Not sure what other editions without looking. It's kooky even by 1970's standards although I guess he was pretty legit in his business. I don't think he did catalogues which is a shame. I could only imagine what terrific poses of himself he could have included in it. lol

Bea ran ads in the Comic Buyer's Guide. Wonderful ads, I never had enough money...

Crazy Theo is still around. I run into him from time to time. A bit off the hook, but aren't we all? He has one of the best collections of Coin operated machines and original art around.

Edited by Robot Man

Bea ran ads in the Comic Buyer's Guide. Wonderful ads, I never had enough money...

....shouldn't a been blowin' it all on weed :baiting: GOD BLESS....

.... I still remember the first time I spent $ 250 on one comic..... it was a Challengers of the Unknown 1...... it got easier and easier after that..... I wonder if $250 was the gateway to financial oblivion for others as well .....

That's a King's ransom at 14...... I was still hovering at the 20 dollar books then..... with my paper route money...... finally broke that barrier at 15 when I paid $ 22 for a NM copy of FF 5.......and it really was :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Crazy Theo is still around. I run into him from time to time. A bit off the hook, but aren't we all? He has one of the best collections of Coin operated machines and original art around.

I visited Bea's house in Temple City in 1994. They only charged 50% of guide. Really nice couple and very tight under-grading on their books, but unfortunately, by that time all of their golden age stuff was gone. I should have bought some Silver Age from them. :sorry: I wonder if they are still around...

Edited by tricolorbrian

When I was about 12 in the 60's I ordered an early golden age Flash from Howard... instead I received a very nice copy of All Winners #21 with the only defect of a clean strip of tape down the spine...no explanation from Howard, but I was very happy...

Edited by sartre

When I was about 12 in the 60's I ordered an early golden age Flash from Howard... instead I received a very nice copy of All Winners #21 with the only defect of a clean strip of tape down the spine...no explanation from Howard, but I was very happy...

Flash -- All Flash -- All Winners. Clearly there is a connection!